Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New business nd website has just been hacked

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Getprinting.com.su
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Yes you read correctly. My name is Bek and as of next Monday http://www.getprinting.com.au will be launched. Get Printing is a website that allows people needing printing to type in their printing requirements and these those requirements are sent to printers in Australia to provide a customized quote for their services.

And yes, last night when I was filling in my flying solo application form I found that my website had been hacked and all of my work gone…good thing I had a backup and we’re back and running now. I would like to know some tips however on how to avoid being hacked….I’d hate for it to happen again!

Also I’m always on the lookout for great printing companies to add to our database of quoting printers so if you are one feel free to email me at [email protected]

Cheers
    Bek!

Hamish Jones
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    Getprinting.com.su, post: 125380 wrote:
    Yes you read correctly. My name is Bek and as of next Monday http://www.getprinting.com.au will be launched. Get Printing is a website that allows people needing printing to type in their printing requirements and these those requirements are sent to printers in Australia to provide a customized quote for their services.

And yes, last night when I was filling in my flying solo application form I found that my website had been hacked and all of my work gone…good thing I had a backup and we’re back and running now. I would like to know some tips however on how to avoid being hacked….I’d hate for it to happen again!

Also I’m always on the lookout for great printing companies to add to our database of quoting printers so if you are one feel free to email me at [email protected]

Cheers
    Bek!

Hi Bek,

I note you are using WordPress for your website. The best piece of advice I can give you is make sure you regularly update WordPress and ensure it is the latest version.

And, find out through your web host how your site was hacked. If it was a loophole in their hosting it might be time to change hosts!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Bec,

Your question is very generic.
    So generally, use a website such as this to generate your passords
    website
    Make sure your computer that your using is virus free.
    Do not to let your kids use your computer to play flash games and dowload goodies.
    Dont use the same password for your ftp and cpanel login as you do for other websites (make sure its unique)
    Always log out of sites that you need to log into.
    I see your using wordpress, make sure your server is hardened and has the latest php sql and wordpress versions installed.
    and for heavens sake make your admin page less available.
    try this site for hardening wordpress
    Steve

crikeyinternet
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Whilst keeping wordpress up to date and passwords secure/not guessable is advised, theres always the possibility that your site was hacked via a server-wide exploit and nothing you could of done would of prevented this.

I know for a fact it wasnt just your website hacked either, if you look up the server IP on zone-h (a site the hackers post their efforts) you’ll see various sites on the same server were hacked at the same time. This means your site could very well be hacked again if the host hasnt fixed the security hole. Usually a hacker needs root level access to do a mass defacement, if the box has been ‘rooted’ then its very likely to happen again.

Anyway check with your host on the matter and ask them if they have secured PHP better or fixed the security hole the hacker got through. If you dont get a good enough response/report on the matter you should consider moving to another provider who takes security more seriously.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

This is the best way to create secure passwords:
    http://www.commoncraft.com/video/secure-passwords
    Everybody should watch this video. I’d go as far as to say this is the only way to create passwords.

Also on the subject of security Google Chrome is a more secure browser than Internet Explorer, plus it’s faster and more reliable.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Better than that ‘best’ way is to have long complex passwords, including special characters, that even you don’t remember….

Use something like lastpass or onepass, remember one complex password, then let the app take care of the rest. I have unique, complex, passwords on every site I need to sign in to, and I only need to remember one….

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 125407 wrote:
    and for heavens sake make your admin page less available.
    try this site for hardening wordpress
    Steve

Hey Steve,

thanks for this page.. just had a quick look, i use some of the tools but there are a few more that i need to roll out.. TY

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Hi

Wow yes, that sounds terrible.

I agree, I think it is a case of having really safe passwords and consider updating them every now and then. It is a world of hackers in revolt out there.

Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.