Home – New Forums Starting your journey New Business – New Website – A cautionary Tale!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    petersfrance
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

5 years ago I moved out to the South of France to start a new life. In need of an income I opened a little Cyber Café. I commissioned a beautiful new website to go with my new business & new life and happily waited for the crowds to flock-in.
    Luckily the crowds did arrive, but in no thanks to my website; the money I spent on design, domain name & registration was never fully recouped because of the SEO. Even though I was the only cyber café in town my web designer seemed to think I should continue paying him inordinate amounts of money to keep my site on the first couple of pages of Google. I of course refused to do this and, inevitably, I closed down the site. It wasn’t paying its way and had to go!!
    But a website IS a necessity these days. Without one your business, whatever it may be, immediately lacks credibility. A website enhances your marketing campaigns, and people will now keep your web address rather than your phone number as it gives them all your contact details.
    I was devastated at the loss of my website and resolved to build my own, but without training, it is a difficult business – believe me you html guys deserve your money – and I tried the “build your own” type sites, but still encountered my old friend SEO – and boy is he high maintenance!!
    So my message here to all you new entrepreneurs is be very cautious about how much money you spend on your website – It has to repay your investment – so cut your cloth accordingly!
    As for me, I am at peace again with my website; I found http://www.brocante64.com I understood their concept, signed-up, and in just a few weeks gained a #1 & #4 slot on Google’s first page. It only costs me a few bucks a month, I can edit it to my heart’s content, and the good people there have thrown in a second site for free!

Cage
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Sounds like an awful web designer if he didn’t let you choose whether or not you wanted to pay for positions on google

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Sigh – another spam – well written mind.

Web design does NOT get you positions on Google, content and inward links do!

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    Aidan, post: 17457 wrote:
    Sigh – another spam – well written mind.

hah! just what I thought too!
    :)

Aidan, post: 17457 wrote:
    Web design does NOT get you positions on Google, content and inward links do!

Has anyone done the 30 Day Challenge – that’s one of the things you get taught – content and inward (back) links.

Cheers
    Brad

Cage
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Oops, my bad. I didn’t see the link thrown in there.

petersfrance
    Up

Hi Guys
    Thanks for your comments and my apologies for the link. I read through all sorts of posts before submitting this & noted that people do submit links – I have obviously misunderstood.
    The post was submitted, as it says, as a note of caution to people unfamiliar with how websites work. In my cybercafe I obviously meet many many people who are new to operating a website and, as with my experience, are open to be duped by the promises of web professionals.
    I am no web professional; I cannot read or write html, or have even managed to understand how the whole thing goes together. I am just a tiny business but wishing to add my 2 cents towards making the internet a better place and accessable to everyone.

Aidan
    Up

Petersfrance,

if you are genuine (and your follow up post certainly suggests you are), then my ‘umble apologies, I mistook your first time post like the others we often see here and on other forums. Usually folks introduce themselves before dropping a link but you would not know that if you’re a newbie. A hearty welcome from me! In some saving of face I did at least say your post was well written…

But anyways do tell us more of the story? Which of the links on brocante64 are you? It seems to be developed by an Irish company (where I come from originally)

Yours sheepishy
    Aidan

Aidan
    Up

Dude,

you wouldn’t be having a joke on us now are you?

I see brocante64.com is registered to a ‘Peter’ whose admin details are actually in Dublin?

;)

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

strange but I got the spam feeling whilst I was reading the post

yellowgirl
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Perhaps you could post a link to your website Petersfrance.
    I’m always interested in seeing sites that people have built themselves as I’m in currently the process of it myself.

Jo

petersfrance
    Up

Hey guys, I am not quite sure what I have done wrong here, but you certainly give me the impression I am somehow invading your space – I get a lot of Australians into my shop & I always thought I welcomed them but obviously I must have upset someone & they have put the word out!!
    I have an Australian daughter-in-law living in Sydney – will ask her what she has heard (Aiden, would you like her address just to be sure I am not “havin a joke on you” )
    You are all complaining about a link I posted, but I note that all you “senior” members & “power” members manage to have a little link to what your business is – how many times do you have to post something on this site (including your link) before you get such exhalted status??
    My original post was, once again, a cautionary note warning about the pitfalls of starting-up a website and how it is easy to get duped into having to part with hard-earned cash.

YellowGirl – if I post the link here will you guarantee me that I won’t have to cancel my trip down there in the new year for fear of being flogged as I arrive at Sydney Airport??

well here goes anyway http://www.brocante64.com/internetworld

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Peter,

There’s no bad rumours I’ve heard about you, except in this thread. People are on the backfoot because your first post on this forum wasn’t a hello and an introduction, it was a story that ended with a link to a company whom apparently you’re just a client for.

General behaviour would be to introduce YOURSELF and YOUR STORE and YOUR WEBSITE, and not a story about how good your web design company is.

Now putting that behind us all, how goes owning your own store? I’ve always dreamed about opening an internet/gaming cafe.

petersfrance
    Up

Hi Chris
    Thanks for that – begining to feel a bit paranoid here!!
    The Cyber Café is great fun, especially in a place like this where we get tourists from all over the world – all with a tale to tell! As I said in my previous post we get a lot of Australians here, many of them taking extended vacations & touring to all parts.
    When we set up the shop 5 yrs back we made a conscious decision to make it a bit different. In my previous ‘business’ life I had spent hours upon hours in dirty uncomfortable depressing internet cafes all around the world & wanted to offer something a bit special. So this place is clean & warm; the PCs are all up to date – and work!! and we offer assistance with a smile to everyone who comes through the door (not to mention the odd Irish Coffee on special occasions)
    The recession hit hard last Summer & tourist numbers were down dramatically; but we didn’t come down here to make a fortune (thank goodness!!) & will hopefully pull through
    As far as you are concerned opening a cyber café along with your PC business would be an ideal match – it is something I would love to be able to offer, but do not have the expertise.

Aidan
    Up

Hi Peter,

Its all good, I’ve had a word with the immigration officials and the airport cab drivers and they promise they won’t make life uncomfortable when you visit.

As Chris said, your first post looked a bit fishy, we get some right fishmongers here and on other boards with multiple thread deletes not uncommon.

So welcome again from me anyway, mine’s a Jameson 12 year old (when I can’t get good Guinness)

;)

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Peter
    I’d just like to reiterate that you ARE very welcome here and to add my apologies on behalf of FS that your original post was misconstrued.

If you haven’t already, it’s worth checking out our forum guidelines here http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/guidelines-please-read-before-posting/589-welcome-flying-solo-forums-please-play-nicely.html – they explain in more detail our general policy of introducing yourself before posting (although that point hardly seems relevant now that we’ve all been chatting with you!)

Thanks for joining us – I think we are all a little jealous that you get to live in the south of France. What town are you in? Would love to visit one day!

Best,
    Jayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.