Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New business setting up supplier agreements

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    todo
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I’ve just stumbled across this site will searching for information and I think it looks great.
    Here’s my question, after working within the interior design industry for several years I thought I’d try the other side of the industry so I’m trying to open a wholesale agency selling decorative fabrics to interior designers, architects etc. While traveling I approached several well-known northern hemisphere fabric houses not represented in the southern hemisphere to see if I could be their agent. They have all said they like the idea and have given me sample hangers of their products.
    So far I’ve found several companies to represent as a start and in discussion with several others. I plan to start working from home and out of my car and when I get enough turnover find a small showroom. I’m looking at this as a long term project so won’t rush into that.
    Where I’m lost is what sort of agreement should I be setting up with my suppliers? Does anyone know how fabric houses usually run and make positive revenue? Running one and buying from one are totally different. I currently represent homeware companies and do that with 15% commission on product sold. What mark-up do I put on fabric since I’m selling wholesale to designers and architects or will the fabric house specify that? Do you just make revenue from commission and what is that standard rate or should I be charging anything else on top of that? Should I hold stock of top sellers and how much or just do indent? I When I get to a point where I have a showroom do I charge suppliers a showroom fee to display their stock and if so how much or do I pay for all of my showroom outgoings out of my commission, should I bring this up with them now or later? I sell my homeware by proforma which works well, less risk. Is it the same for fabric?
    One last questions, has anyone used a business mentor and know where to find a good one so I can work one on one?
    I hope this hasn’t been to long winded for my first post, I look forward to becoming a member of the forum.

Looking forward to hearing your response….

todo

*I tried to post and it didn’t appear. I hope this time it comes up this time…

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    ::

Hi todo,
    Thanks for joining and welcome aboard.
    Lots of questions! But luckily you’re at the right place :)
    This is not my area of expertise, but I dare say you’ll get some advice from a few of our members. Might be a little quieter over this long weekend as people recover from chocolate eating!
    All the best with the new venture.
    Cheers,
    Peter

PS: Apologies that your post got held up in moderation. Any more problems just let me know.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.