Home – New Forums Starting your journey New Business: What software to buy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    greywing56
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi, my husband and I are opening a fruit & veggie store in a small country town (there isn’t one here!) and also will be selling specialty confectionery.

Also, 2 years ago I started my own small business, a secretarial services, but shortly after launching I was diagnosed with cancer so the business was put aside for a year while I was having treatment. I am now well enough to relaunch my business plus help my husband with the fruit & candy store.

My question is, what is the best software for managing both our business? MYOB or Quickbooks? I did purchase MYOB Business Basics 2 years ago but I think this version is now no longer current??? I’m currently doing MYOB at TAFE but my TAFE teacher – despite the fact that she is teaching it – doesn’t recommend it! She runs a small retail store in town and uses Quickbooks.

Because we will have computers it at the shop and at my home business I would like something that would enable me to access my business files from work, home, or from my iPad so something cloud based?

From my own research I have found that Quickbooks Intuit has a fully online version, cloud based, but they appear to be ‘separating’ from Quickbooks Reckon and I wonder whether there may be support problems down the track as the two companies go their own way.

Some advise would be really valuable to me as I’m a complete novice with accountancy packages, never having used one, and being SO green when it comes to accounting.

Despite the fact that I’ve worked in business management positions for 30+ years, I’ve always worked for either government or large corporations which have a finance department that handled ‘all that stuff’ for me and I never had to worry about it.

So whatever I use:
    a) will need to be easy to set up
    b) will need to be easy to use
    c) have good support

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Especially in a small country town, are you sure you want to computerise a fruit & veggie store?

Steve

Xavier Xi
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

PM sent

I would consider Saasu, MYOBLive, or Xero.

Very easy to use, online help very user friendly, and bank feeds make it all too easy.

Cheers.

XXi

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

I think most people will advise you to ask your accountant what he / she recommends and can support.

If you don’t have an accountant, or he doesn’t care what you use, I’d suggest you have a look at a couple of the online competitors to MYOB and Quicken:

Xero
    Sassu

Both the above programs get great reviews and give you the ability to access your accounts from any internet-enabled computer.

My experience with MYOB when helping some of my customers has been extremely underwhelming. Quickbooks is slightly better.

Cheers,
    John

greywing56
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Yes, because I’m a computer person and could not imagine an alternative such as keeping hard copy books. My thoughts are that I use the system for invoices and managing cash flow, not for inventory, not for payroll, for managing gst (because there will be gst on confectionery) and submitting bas statements etc.

From someone admitting that I’m a novice and know virtually nothing about running a small business (though I did do a Cert III in Micro Business Management) what are my alternatives?

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up
    greywing56, post: 127750 wrote:
    So whatever I use:
    a) will need to be easy to set up
    b) will need to be easy to use
    c) have good support

Per a couple of the other comments I would strongly recommend looking at the cloud options. My personal preference is Xero, but Saasu is also a good product.

Cloud solutions fit the bill for your points a & b, but it is at c that they excel. You say that you you have some gaps in your knowledge, so you are likely to need support frequently (but probably in small blocks) – with a cloud solution your accountant or bookkeeper can log in whenever you need them to to help you keep your books on track. With proper support most business owners can keep their books up to date (and correct) real time, which is ALWAYS preferable to the accountant having to spend time (your money) fixing this up at the end of the quarter or year.

Lots of Xero bookkeepers and accountants (ourselves included) offer fixed price support agreements.

Good luck with the new businesses,

Cheers, Rhys

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

I’d recommend cloud options too…. But if you really like MYOB or Quicken you can use something like Dropbox, and synch both computers through the cloud. That way you have access from both computers, as well as some cloud backups. I used that for ages and it worked fine. The only issue I could foresee is if you open the work file from both computers at once. Not sure what would happen…

Cheers

apj
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Hey there,

I have a lot experience with Quickbooks, MYOB, Xero and Sage (don’t ask!). I have used Saasu once or twice but I’m not as familiar with it as the others though it seems fine.

In my view, for a small operation you can’t go past Xero for cost, functionality and ease of use (disclaimer- I don’t work with them or have any connection). My advice is to discuss with your accountant and see if you can give them a nudge towards Xero. It actually makes their life much easier as you don’t need to swap files back and forward, you can just invite them on to your Xero ledger where they can view and, if you let them, change things directly. It’s all in the ‘cloud’ though which can be a little scary for many accountants, especially the older school ;)

Cheers
    Aaron

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    greywing56, post: 127754 wrote:
    Yes, because I’m a computer person and could not imagine an alternative such as keeping hard copy books. My thoughts are that I use the system for invoices and managing cash flow, not for inventory, not for payroll, for managing gst (because there will be gst on confectionery) and submitting bas statements etc.

From someone admitting that I’m a novice and know virtually nothing about running a small business (though I did do a Cert III in Micro Business Management) what are my alternatives?

Could a mid level cash register that prints off daily reports showing totals on the gst and gst free items. Then once a week punching those numbers into an excel spreadsheet do the trick?

I love technology but I’m a bit old school I guess.

Steve

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

I’m still using a six year old version of MYOB. It still works fine, the accountant doesn’t have a problem with my old files.
    If you think about it; the principles of accounting haven’t changed in decades. So I think if you have an old copy of MYOB and you’re comfortable with it, then use that.

Marc D
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi,
    You first stated that you live in a small country town. Unless your internet connection is anything less than perfect, any cloud solution you choose will just lead to pain and frustration.
    I am a great advocate of appropriate technology and not technology for its own sake. In your case, a decent cash register and a spreadsheet would probably suffice. Much as I hate the program, a basic version of cash flow manager may be a step up if needed. An older version of myob with drop box as mentioned above works a treat. If you stick to business basics version the learning curve isn’t that steep

Cheers

Marc

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

My experience with MYOB is as follows…get Quickbooks!

I bought MYOB and found it absolutely mind-boggling; difficult to get around, non-sensical setup, etc.

I’m no bookkeeper, but surely something that’s marketed to small business operators – from many and varied industries – should be more user-friendly.

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

I’m currently setting up a second business (Service) and my accountant recommedned XERO hands down as far as simplicity and autonomy goes. For me this is for the book-keeping side of things – invoicing etc.

gregorys
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi,
    << opening a fruit & veggie store in a small country town>>
    I believe you will have mostly walk-in customers paying cash or with credit cards. Since you don’t need to keep track of customers outstanding balances and accounts, I think a cash register or POS (point of sales system) is best for this. I haven’t tried one of these systems myself but you can probably print out the breakdown of “Standard Rated” and “GST free sales” and input this to your favourite accounting system or spreadsheet in summary.

If your not handling a full set of accounts yourself and looking for something simpler to track your income and expenses and prepare BAS, you can check out our Cashbook product (see my siggy below).

<>
    You’ll probably need full computerised invoicing for this to track individual customer accounts.

<>
    There are a couple of ways to set this up on your own computers. One way is to sync your database using a service like dropbox, sugarsync etc as other have already pointed out.

Another way is to use “Remote Desktop” where you can access your entire work computer from home of from your iPad or Android device. It used to be a real pain to set this up but now there are lot of 3rd party solutions that make it really simple. You can lookup solutions like :

1. logmein.com,
    2. Teamviewer.com or
    3. gotomypc.com .

I use #1 & #2 very often using their free version. They work really well and are simple to setup. They have apps for iPads and Android devices. #3 is from Citrix who are the leaders in Remote Desktop solutions so you can bet they’ll be good but they only have a 30 day free trial.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Greg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.