Home – New Forums Tell me straight… New children’s wear business logo and concept

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    cateb
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hello Flying Solo,

My name is Cate, and I’ve recently returned to Australia after living in Japan for a number of years. I now have the time to devote to starting the business I’ve been thinking about for many years. I’m currently on the NEIS Certificate IV Small Business Course, and I feel that the feedback I receive from this forum will be very useful to input into my business plan, and take into consideration for the business! I can’t wait to hear it (though I’m a little nervous!).

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    * What do you think of the name Changelings?
    *I’ve attached a few documents; the first is the main logo, then the concept, then two different versions of the logo. I had this designed while I was living in Japan, so please excuse the ‘made by hand in Japan’, that will now be Australia.
    The long version of the logo is for my swing tags, the top version is for business cards. The colours are not finished yet though.
    *I’d really appreciate knowing what you think about the logo, and the business idea.
    *I’m thinking about a tagline, maybe – Changelings – reclaim the world. Little kids reclaiming back the world, and the use of reclaimed textiles in the product.

2. What does your business do?
    *‘Changelings’ is an eclectic range of children’s wear and accessories created for girls and boys aged between two and twelve years. Using brightly coloured and patterned vintage, Japanese and sustainable fabrics, and combining them with materials from reclaimed garments to create a cohesive range with an ethical purpose.

Each piece will be one of a kind, combining quirky and modern design with historical and imaginative detailing twists. The range will be fashion forward and have a fresh approach to sustainable design for kids that will bridge the gap between high fashion and eco friendly clothing.

Drawing upon my 12 years in theatrical and film costuming, my knowledge of fashion, and my love of vintage textiles, my goal is to design and craft a unique range that is locally produced, of a high standard, and that is a mix of past, present and future ideas.

Changelings will be sold online, initially using existing sites such as Etsy, with a longer term goal of supplying to children’s boutiques on a wholesale basis, as well as operating a standalone website for direct sales.

3. Who is your target market?
    *My market is children aged 2 to 12; parents aged 28 to 50, friends in the same age group and grandparents. This range is in the mid to high price range, due to each garment being a one off, and hand finished in Australia. *Though I am initially targeting Australia, I hope to eventually wholesale to Europe, Japan etc. If anyone is familiar with ‘Paperwings’ children’s wear, they are a successful Australian company for me to base my future hopes upon. They are wonderful, and we share a similar background and price point.

4. What specific concerns do you have?
    *As each item is a bespoke, one off, original and sustainable piece, I’m hoping that will make the price point a little easier to accept. There are many ranges in my price and above, so there is a market for items over $50/60 each.
    *I’m hoping to aim for people buying a piece for the design first, and then the sustainable edge will help seal the deal. What do you think?
    *Also, do you think people will have an issue buying a piece that is made from a reconstructed garment?

Thank you so much. I’m passionate about this business, but I don’t want to fail. I know how important my business plan and feedback is. I really appreciate it. I’m happy to offer any further information you need.
    Cate

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Cate

Welcome and I like your concept :) I’ve come into contact with a few children’s clothing designers on various markets and this could be something to stand out.
    Have you heard of Poppyseed Markets or brands like Stevie & Me?

Only concern re the name – I immediately had to think of the movie “Changeling’ with Angelina Jolie, which is probably not what you want to be connected to your clothings.

Cheers
    Astrid

nitro-it
    Participant
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

I thought of exactly the same thing when I read the name. Though I haven’t actually seen the movie, just reading the storyline about a missing child would ring alarm bells to me if I were producing a children’s clothing line.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Make that 3 that thought of the movie as soon as I saw the name.
    Looking at it further as to what a “Changeling” actually is (and now the movie title makes sense)… I am not quite sure it fits your concept?

Apart from that, I really like the logo designs – especially your main one from a personal perspective – nice and colourful and artistic. I would agree with you that there is a market for the sorts of items you plan to stock and sell.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I really like the excellent designs also but not the name.

I also immediately thought of the movie.
    Go with the design, but change the business name.

All the best.

Keepsakes Design
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

Hi Cate

I had a look at your logo/business name…nice design and name, but, I don’t think they marry up with your business description and target market. Please have a look at my comments below, I hope they are useful :)

Taking key information from your ‘description’ you will be able to put together a good brief (see below).

– children’s wear and accessories created for girls and boys aged between two and twelve years. (your logo shows a mermaid (girl))
    – brightly coloured and patterned vintage – (no bright colours or vintage patterns appear in your logo)
    – sustainable (the logo/name does not perceive sustainability, although this could be part of the tagline)
    – quirky and modern design – (not portrayed in your logo)
    – locally produced – (Australian not Japan?)

I do love your business idea – it’s a winner!

Please let me know if you need any further help :)

Best wishes
    Jackie

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

Hi Cate,

Love the logo, very warm and professional. Best of luck with the business.

Cheers!
    Samith

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Great business idea.

I too thought of the Angelina movie when I saw the name – but that’s coz it’s the only time I’ve ever seen that word. I think it’s fine as a business name, especially since the nature of your business is quite upmarket.
    (On the other hand, if you were to have “pumpkin”, “rainbow”, “candy” etc. in your business name, than that would be a bad thing… as it wouldn’t give the impression of exclusivity)

The main logo looks nice, but is much more detailed than a professional logo should be. The clutter caused by all of the detail takes away from it’s impact and is really unnecessary.

The detail would also make it quite difficult to reproduce this logo in a single colour and at small sizes. (and there will come a time when you need it to)

The second logo with the mermaid’s tail at the bottom is spot on. It’s unique, simple and memorable, and would really hold it’s own in the marketplace. It could easily be reproduced at small sizes and would look great with minimal colour (ie. screen printed onto a promo item).

My only criticism is that the “CHANGELINGS” text doesn’t quite follow the curve of the banner it’s on.

Sorry Jackie, but as gently as I can, I’ve gotta disagree with your advice:

– children’s wear and accessories created for girls and boys aged between two and twelve years. (your logo shows a mermaid (girl)

I’d imagine that in most cases, it would be the mother of the child who chooses and purchases the clothing, not the child, so having a feminine emphasis is a good thing in this case. (I’m a male, and I buy tuna with a mermaid on the logo).

– brightly coloured and patterned vintage – (no bright colours or vintage patterns appear in your logo)

The (second) logo has a vintage feel to it and the subtle, tasteful splashes of colour communicate “bright” plenty enough. Using paterns in a logo would create unecessary detail which would limit it’s usability and impact.

– sustainable (the logo/name does not perceive sustainability, although this could be part of the tagline)

How would you communicate sustainabilty? I think the flowers, the ocean represented by the mermaid and the vintage look and colours achieve this. You could add all kinds of literal images, but they would likely just clutter the logo and dilute it’s message.

Keepsakes Design
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

No worries Blue Penguin :)

I do agree that the logo is too detailed. The decision-maker will be predominantly the mother – who will want to purchase something that the child will wear – boys and girls aged 2-12 years old. Would a 12 year old boy want to wear a top with a mermaid on the label? Also I’m not really sure what the mermaid represents, sorry that’s my take on it.

For me the mermaid will instantly communicate female clothing. A can of tuna is a completely different product entirely :)

I was quoting Cate when I mentioned the bright colours and patterns, also the sustainability. A good designer should be able to incorporate them into a simple affective design.

This is my professional opinion, it’s up to Cate if she wants to take my points on-board. (Cate – I hope this is uesful).

Best wishes
    Jackie

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

You’re a good sport Jackie! Thanks.

I was just thinking “Oh my, I probably sounded really rude and arrogant, I’d better go and edit my post…”

Cheers,

Steve

cateb
    Up
    Astrid, post: 90342 wrote:
    Hi Cate

Welcome and I like your concept :) I’ve come into contact with a few children’s clothing designers on various markets and this could be something to stand out.
    Have you heard of Poppyseed Markets or brands like Stevie & Me?

Only concern re the name – I immediately had to think of the movie “Changeling’ with Angelina Jolie, which is probably not what you want to be connected to your clothings.

Cheers
    Astrid

Hi Astrid (Great name!)

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I had not heard of Poppyseed Markets – thanks for that it looks fantastic, and a definite option for me to showcase my range. A really wonderful idea. I don’t know Stevie & Me, and didn’t see much about them online.

You are not alone in your concerns regarding the name, and I would be remiss to not take this feedback seriously. I’m going to post my ideas how I came up with using the name, and some options to quell concerns (I hope!).

Glad you like the concept. Thanks again. Cate

cateb
    Up

Hi everyone,
    Thank you so much for the consructive feedback. It means a lot that you have all taken the time to think about this and respond. I’ll just put up a bit more info, which my help clarify the name decision – or not! I will have to think about that, as a bad name choice will harm my business.

I like the idea of change – in the seasons, change in the climate, change in children from tiny aliens to interesting creatures with their own identities. I do like the myth behind changelings – it was a little creepy which I liked, as it wasn’t too cutesy. But, I often hear mothers talking about the daily change in children, the small and big changes, how some days they aren’t acting like normal and seem like another child! That is where I was coming from with the name. My mother always tells me her greatest joy was watching me as a child, and how each day I was a little different.

However, though I have not seen the movie I can totally understand why this was your first reaction. And, it was powerful to see four people come up with it straight away – it has definitely given me something to think about.

I was considering maybe adding a second word with it, maybe a positive sounding word like lucky changelings, or sweet changelings (still thinking!) Do you think that would help?

Thanks to Astrid, NitroIT, Jacqui and Karen C for this feedback. I’m glad you like the concept – that is an important part to have people like! I’ll keep working on the name part.
    Cate

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

HI Cate – thanks for your great reply.

Regarding your name – I really do urge you to reconsider.

I understand now why you chose it – but ultimately it is not the best usage of the name in the present.

The movie is a true story, brilliant and truly tragic and you really don’t want to be associated with it.

Adding a trading name is not the worst thing.

I actually tried out another trading name years ago and dropped it and the website domains, as the name wasn’t working. It’s certainly a lot less expensive than the possibility of negativity surrounding the business.

Your business is actually ‘metamorphising’ things.

Maybe that will help on a different name.

All the best.

cateb
    Up

Thanks everyone, and regarding the logo design – you both raised issues I have been concerned about.
    I have about 10 different versions of the logo, starting from quite basic, no flowers, can be one colour, right up to the full one with all the flowers. I’m hoping this will work with small avatars, but I had been considering working on just the banner with ‘changelings’, and the circle. To keep it simple. Glad to hear that it is important to have this option. Think I’ll look into that.

I had this logo designed a couple of years ago when I wasn’t planning on a boys range. I have been considering having one made up of a boy mermaid/karp. My husband just suggested a shark/mermaid with a fin and trident! HA! I was using the mermaid as a ‘changeling’ reference again. Half person/half koi.

Yes, the colours definitely have to be brighter, or I have been considering using a patterned background and the logo in a plain colour, but I’m hoping the bright colours and vintage feel will come across when finalised. Yes, I have to change it to Made in Australia.

About the sustainable side, I was thinking along the same lines as Blue Penquin, that the flowers and ocean represented that, but maybe it isn’t getting across. I’m hoping the tagline might help tie all that in, and looking at all this useful feedback, I’m thinking the tagline is a good idea! Also, the card will be printed on recycle card with soy ink and that will be stamped on the card.

Jackie and Steve – your comments have been useful and I appreciate all your effort. I will be back working with my graphic designer again soon, and will take all this into consideration before anything is finalised. I’m so glad I found this site. You are all very kind and considerate.
    Samith, thanks for the warm wishes too!

Perhaps I’ll post the final design on here before I get it printed!
    Cate

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Cate

I just realise that I didn’t even ask where you’re located. Poppyseed Markets would probably only make sense if you’re in Sydney and surroundings, I guess. It came to my mind because a friend of mine has a stall there and is currently at Westfields Hurstville.
    The Stevie brand is part of a group organised by the BEC in St George/Sutherland – the Designer Fashion Markets. They have – same as Poppyseed – Pop Up Stands in Shopping Malls.

Cheers
    Astrid

PS: thanks for the compliment, I’ll tell my mum. It’s a Swedish name.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.