Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New Cleaning business. Need Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Farrie
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi all
    I have not long ago started a new cleaning business. I have been cleaning a commercial property for the last 5 years, so I thought I would start to expand and start advertising.
    So far I have received a couple of requests for end of lease cleans. As I am new to this part of cleaning and I am not 100% on what I should be quoting and what to include and not to include.
    My mother recently moved and I helped clean her house when she vacated and by the end of it I’m pretty sure the house was the cleanest it had ever been! It wasn’t dirty but it still took a long time to do. I’m pretty thorough and fussy when it comes to things. So I don’t want to be doing unnecessary work that would not normally be included. If anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to this would be great!

Thanks!!

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=108227]@Farrie[/USER] . It is great to have you!
    Thank you for joining our community and posting today.

As a commercial cleaner, there should almost always be a tension between what your customer can afford to pay and what you can afford to offer for that price.

As a result, most commercial cleaners learn what to do that will put a smile on their customers face, ie not try to achieve “perfect cleaning”.

Do you have specific questions about end of lease cleaning – if so, I would be happy to help. Please also describe the property type eg, house, office, factory etc.

Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Farrie, post: 258072, member: 108227 wrote:
    . As I am new to this part of cleaning and I am not 100% on what I should be quoting and what to include and not to include.

It’s actually quite easy, its not what you want to quote on or what someone on a forum suggests you quote on. As in any business you quote on what the client wants you to do. Talk to the client and ask what their requirements are, otherwise you may do a not so fussy job, while the client wanted a fussy job. The worst you could do is give the client a quote based on an assumption they don’t want a fussy job, you finish the job and they say its not up to what they expected.

Scope the requirements from the client.

AcuityBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Farrie,

How would you normally quote your work? Do you estimate the time it would take you to do the cleaning and times this by an hourly rate and then add in costs of cleaning materials?

I would suggest you speak to the potential clients and understand their exact cleaning need. Then to your best ability try and estimate how long it will take you to do the work.

At the start you may not always get the quotes right as it may take you longer than expected or shorter. But with experience your quoting skills will improve and your quotes will become more accurate.

Farrie
    Up

Thanks for your replies. Had a couple jobs fall through as other businesses snatched them up. But have learnt from it.
    Really trying to get a few more leads for some regular clients such as offices and businesses. Really slow starting! Hopefully picks up soon!

simpocleaning
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Expectations are usually quite high when it comes to End of Lease Cleaning since quality control is usually done by a property manager who is responsible for leasing out the property.

We’ve been in this game for over 20 years and there are literally 2 types of companies in this space –

1. The ones that quotes proper rates eg. $450 for 2 bedroom apartment and gets the job done properly. This also allows for the occasions where you need to go back to the property to fix up defects when your team misses something or when you get a very picky property manager (we’ve been asked to go back for things as simple as a single hair left on a rug. This also allows for time needed to liaise with the property manager so your client doesn’t need to worry (they are paying for a full service).

2. The other type(and how the majority of companies out there are doing it) are ones which charge a dirt cheap rate eg. $250 for 2 bedroom apartment. These companies basically do and quote the bare minimum and hope and pray that it’s enough to get them over the line. You then need to justify why the clean wasn’t done to a high standard once the complaints come in eg. it wasn’t included in the scope, it was wear and tear etc. In my opionion, the amount of time you need to spend on the phone with tenants and property managers every time a complaint comes in makes it too much of a hassle. Also, you risk being taken to a tribunal and also risk the reputation of your conpany.

Ar the end of the day, it’s up to you what type of business you want to run.

Farrie
    Up

Thanks for your reply.
    I’ve noticed that there is a lot of competition here of people happy to do it dirt cheap that have no ABN or insurance. Just cash in hand jobs.
    I’m running a legitimate business having to pay insurance and taxes plus all other expenses. I think that’s why I am rather trying to stay within commercial cleaning. At least I know that’s your getting work each week. Its just a matter of getting a few leads as I know they would be happy with my services and rates.
    Just getting that start is the thing!!

Farrie
    Up

So just did a 5 bedroom house. Thought as I am only new I would keep my prices how. $40 an hour with 2 cleaners. Took 7 hours to complete, so $560. This is done through a real estate agent so they deal with it all the time.
    I invoiced it to them. They expect $40 an hour no mater how many cleaners helped!!! Whats going on with that!!

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Farrie, post: 258890, member: 108227 wrote:
    So just did a 5 bedroom house. Thought as I am only new I would keep my prices how. $40 an hour with 2 cleaners. Took 7 hours to complete, so $560. This is done through a real estate agent so they deal with it all the time.
    I invoiced it to them. They expect $40 an hour no mater how many cleaners helped!!! Whats going on with that!!

Real estate agents are just difficult to deal with,

You should have just invoiced them for 14 hours, you don’t need to explain how many did the job, the job total was 14 hours.

Farrie
    Up

yeah just sent another invoice for 14 hrs. I said that how long it took so you just gonna pay it. It people didn’t leave their houses like a shit hole may be it wouldn’t take so long.
    Can expect any business from then in the future! haha

Farrie
    Up

Yes they are a pain to deal with! I’ll guess I’ll know for next time

Farrie
    Up

So just an update on my circumstances. I’ve set up a webpage, Adwords plus some social media advertising and I’ve started bringing in some customers. Landed are contract with the local council which I feel I’m in over my head! But I’ll work it out. So slowly but surly work is coming in and I’m sure as time progresses more and more will also.
    Still chasing up money with the real estate as well!

Fresheyes
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi, I’m new to commenting on this website but have been a member for a few years. I’ve recently started my own cleaning business in a small country town but my back-ground is in Real Estate property management and when completing “end of lease” cleans it can be tricky as you’re really trying to please the Property Manager, but it’s the tenant that’s paying the bill in most instances unless you’re dealing with a tenant that’s “done a runner” and the funds for the clean are coming out of the bond. The bond is limited to four weeks rent in NSW for residential properties and this is for damages as well as any cleaning decided on between the PM and the Tenant after the Outgoing Inspection is completed. The amount of cleaning is normally restricted to what’s different on the Out-going Inspection compared to the In-going Inspection. If you check out most Real Estate websites you’ll normally find a list of “Tenant Tips” which will give a schedule of the cleaning required by a tenant when they vacate the premise regardless of what the “Ingoing” “Outgoing” inspections say. This all gets very murky but generally the house needs to be left in the same state it was found. If the Property Manager is any good the property should be in a clean and tidy state taking into account fair wear and tear when the tenant takes possession and left the same way at the end of the tenancy. Your best bet would be to phone the Property Manager, have a conversation with them, find out what funds are available up front and what they’re expecting, then quote based on that information. Hope that helps. :)

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Farrie, post: 259190, member: 108227 wrote:
    Still chasing up money with the real estate as well!

I found a couple of simple things got the real estate agents into action ‘Debt collector” and VCAT (in Victoria) seems to make them spring to action with outstanding’s. You wont get anymore work from them, but really who wants to work for non paying clients anyhow.

Farrie
    Up

I wouldn’t want any more work from this certain real estate! I issued a second overdue notice today with no response as yet. In a week will be a final notice and then I’ll send them a letter of demand via a law firm.
    This was a clean to put the house on the market. The house was sold but then I’m thinking it fell through as 3 weeks later it is still listed as for sale. Either way the real estate hired my services, I provided them with quality services and expect to be paid like anyone else! At the end of the day I don’t care who’s pocket the money comes out of just as long as it ends up in my pocket!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.