Home Forums Starting your journey New Company Structure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ShaunGA
    • Total posts: 3

Hi All,

A partner and I are looking at starting a new company ‘A’ (50/50 arrangement). Ideally Company A would be a wholly owned subsidiary by a Parent/Holding Company, with further subsidiaries planned. We’d like to start with the lowest cost option, while we build this new venture.

My question is – Are you able to start by just registering Company A (and trade) and then at a later stage start the Parent Company who would then ‘buy/own’ Company A?

Alternatively can one, register the Parent Company and us a different trading name (for Company A) that can be turned into a subsidiary at a later stage?

Thanks for your input!
    Cheers
    Shaun

JamesMillar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,675
    ShaunGA, post: 271231, member: 110816 wrote:
    Hi All,

A partner and I are looking at starting a new company ‘A’ (50/50 arrangement). Ideally Company A would be a wholly owned subsidiary by a Parent/Holding Company, with further subsidiaries planned. We’d like to start with the lowest cost option, while we build this new venture.

My question is – Are you able to start by just registering Company A (and trade) and then at a later stage start the Parent Company who would then ‘buy/own’ Company A?

Alternatively can one, register the Parent Company and us a different trading name (for Company A) that can be turned into a subsidiary at a later stage?

Thanks for your input!
    Cheers
    Shaun

Hi Shaun

There are lots of potential issues to consider in this. Did you guys consider seeing an accountant?

The wrong structural decision could easily cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe more).

ShaunGA
    • Total posts: 3
    JamesMillar, post: 271235, member: 5318 wrote:
    Hi Shaun

There are lots of potential issues to consider in this. Did you guys consider seeing an accountant?

The wrong structural decision could easily cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe more).

Thanks for your reply James, yes we definitely will sit down with one. Was looking to get my head around potential structure options prior to sitting down, but realise that might just be a waste of time and should jump straight to a professional instead

JamesMillar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,675
    ShaunGA, post: 271236, member: 110816 wrote:
    Thanks for your reply James, yes we definitely will sit down with one. Was looking to get my head around potential structure options prior to sitting down, but realise that might just be a waste of time and should jump straight to a professional instead

Research can be helpful but given 99.9% of business owners are not career tax professionals you may find research taking you down the wrong path.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.