Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New! Currently looking for website host

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rocksolidstudy
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone!
    I am in the process of setting up and building a tutoring/study business.
    I am currently writing text for the website and have been researching different website hosts. There is so much variety out there and the reviews all seem to give different verdicts! If I lay out the things I think I require at the moment, I wonder if anyone has any advice? I have two registered domain names that would both go to the same site.
    – Approx 15 pages
    – Basic navigation between pages and with links to partner sites
    – Landing page with a capture system for client contact info through sign up and downloads
    – No need for any payment or booking system to go through site – it will be mainly for information and to sign up for free downloads of pdf’s.
    – No fancy animations needed! Basic video and images only.
    – Ideally good tech support for when I (enivitably will!) need it!
    – I am working to a low budget!

Any help or advice would be very gratefully appreciated.
    Great to now be a part of this network!!
    Katie

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Hi Katie,

Sounds like you’re looking for a relatively basic web host so you’ll probably be fine with “shared hosting”. Basically, it means you’ll be on a server with many other sites but so long as you go with a good one it won’t bother you at all.

You can host it in Australia or the US but be aware Australian hosting is much more expensive (yay for us, I guess). The difference is that having it on an Australian server will make pages load a little quicker but, really, it doesn’t make a lot of difference for a site like yours and you can always add CloudFlare later if you need to.

The number of web hosts in the world is astounding and it’s been a long time since I’ve used shared hosting so I don’t have recent experience to recommend any, but if no one here is able to give you a recommendation then check out webhostingtalk.com for the latest reviews and information. Just be careful not to go with “unlimited” hosts or those who charge almost nothing.

If you go with US hosting I’d suggest you’re looking at no more than around $10-15 per month and in Australia you might be starting at $15.

Make sure you keep back ups of everything just in case, even if the hosting company keeps their own (you won’t get access to theirs if they stop paying their bills).

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up

Hi Katie,

As Josh has mentioned, you’ll be looking for shared hosting which can cost anywhere from a few dollars a month and upwards. If your target market is in Australia, then ideally you’ll be wanting to look at Australian web hosting and not US web hosting due to a different in website load times. A lot of web hosts these days are offering CloudFlare which acts as a CDN (Content Distribution Network) which will cache your website on many geographical server lcoations around the world. Also CloudFlare protects your website from a range of malicious online threats and attacks. We always recommend for our clients to enable CloudFlare on their hosting accounts due to these added benefits. The best thing about it, it’s free!

These are some top things to look for when you’re selecting a suitable web host:

* Does the web host offer an SLA (Service Level Agreement)?
    * What type of monthly uptime is guaranteed? 99.9% guaranteed monthly uptime is usually standard
    * Where are the servers located? Within Australia or outside of Australia
    * What level of customer service is offered? Such as email and phone support, operating hours
    * Are offsite/onsite backups being made regularly? Even though the web host offers this, it’s still recommended to maintain your own backups

Cheers,

Shaun

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Welcome to Flying Solo, Katie.

Good to see the community have dived in with some guidance already. It’s what they do best!

Hope you find your time here useful and informative.

All the best for your new biz.

Sam

ClaudiaO
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Katie,
    Last year I was in the same position as you are now. I cant really remember why, except budget, that I went with http://www.ipage.com. It must have been well reviewed around the web (Best 10 … sites). It costs me $75 for 2 years. I’ve needed support only once, and it was pretty smooth.
    Good luck with it all, it is so much to decide at this point! :)
    Claudia

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Katie,

IMO basic shared hosting will be sufficient but find a competent technical person and keep them close. They may not be able to do everything but will be able to arrange it for you.

If not, the 2 below cant coexist in a business model for an established hosting company. Your going to need to choose the support are forego the budget.

rocksolidstudy, post: 165512 wrote:
    – Ideally good tech support for when I (enivitably will!) need it!
    – I am working to a low budget!

Steve

rocksolidstudy
    Up
    ClaudiaO, post: 165659 wrote:
    Hi Katie,
    Last year I was in the same position as you are now. I cant really remember why, except budget, that I went with http://www.ipage.com. It must have been well reviewed around the web (Best 10 … sites). It costs me $75 for 2 years. I’ve needed support only once, and it was pretty smooth.
    Good luck with it all, it is so much to decide at this point! :)
    Claudia

So true Claudia! Thanks for the suggestion. So much do do and decide, and I don’t know where the hours and days are going!!

rocksolidstudy
    Up

THanks everyone!!
    Sorry I haven’t replied for a while – ironicly having just moved house the internet is stuffed so everything is taking longer than it should to work on at the mo!
    However, I WILL have host chosen and registered by end of today – really need to get website sorted!!
    Thanks for all the help and advice. I’ll keep you posted with developments :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.