Home – New Forums Tell me straight… New Design Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I run a small web design firm in Melbourne http://www.webdesignace.com.au We have just launched our new website for the business. This is actually the 4th version of the site for the last 2 years.

1. What needs reviewing?
    I would really like to hear your suggestions on the customer journey, if you were to build a new site with us, what would you like to see on the site other than what we have already? More sample works, pricing, etc.

2. What does your business do?
    We build websites for any customer requirement, including CMS, eCommerce, custom.

3. Who is your target market?
    Our target market is small and medium businesses, mainly businesses that has a budget over $2000

4. What specific concerns do you have?
    a. The main concern is the instant quote form, we had a lot of discussions about this internally and finally improved it to what is on the site at the moment.

b. Do we talk too much about technology or too little? This is the second concern, we build website with different technologies Magento,Joomla, WordPress, Drupal etc.

Thanks in advance, love to hear your feedback.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up
    Samith, post: 87497 wrote:
    1. What needs reviewing?
    I would really like to hear your suggestions on the customer journey, if you were to build a new site with us, what would you like to see on the site other than what we have already? More sample works, pricing, etc.

4. What specific concerns do you have?
    a. The main concern is the instant quote form, we had a lot of discussions about this internally and finally improved it to what is on the site at the moment.

b. Do we talk too much about technology or too little? This is the second concern, we build website with different technologies Magento,Joomla, WordPress, Drupal etc.

Hi Samith

Keeping in mind I am not expert when it comes to web design and development so my ‘thoughts’ might not even be possible!

Firstly:
    What would I like to see more of? – Price information. It does not seem that you have any indication (sorry if I have missed it) on your pricing? Everywhere directs me to your ‘instant quote’, which gives me the option of a budget under $500 to select but I am not sure whether that budget is possible or a default drop down list of some form? I think some general information about cost could go up with out frightening off people or without locking you into fixed prices.. even if you were to say “starting from…” or “websites for under $….”

I think that the samples you have included in the portfolio are fine/enough for me to get an idea of your work.

Contact Us page doesn’t seem to have a phone number? Your flash/banner on the home page says things like “Talk to us….” – this is hard to do without a phone number?

Secondly:

a) the instant quote form

I like the idea of an ‘instant’ quote (assuming of course it’s instant :)) – I don’t like being required to put my phone number in to anything online though and that has put me off in all honesty even submitting it now to ‘test’ and see how I like it for the purposes of this post. This (for me anyway) could be overcome if there was some information about what you will/won’t do with my details. At the moment there’s no info to assure me that I am not going to end of on mailing lists/phone lists etc.

By the way – I clicked on your Privacy Policy link to see if that would tell me your policy on using my phone/email address but it’s not going anywhere, just back to the top of the page.

Do you talk too much/too little about technology? I think it’s probably the ‘right’ amount. The information I read was clear and I understood your explanations. Perhaps, if possible you can link the icons at the foot of your pages for your “recommended” technologies straight to some info about them? Just a thought in case people want quick navigation to the information?

As I said, I am not an expert so just my 2c from a consumer/visitor point of view – hope it’s helpful.

All the best,

Samith
    Up

Thanks heaps Jacqui!

Those are really good points that you have made, a proper privacy policy page and pretty much most of the recommendations you made, if not all I will implement this weekend.

We used to have a pricing structure on the website, but we moved away from that simply to stop competing with low-end web design companies who promises really low costs (some as low as $297) our strategy is to educate the public how a professional looking website can actually be an investment rather than a cost. But as you said, atleast a starting price would be useful for a potential client.

Thanks again for all your input, it’s really useful and I can definitely see how these changes would improve the website presence.

JacquiPryor
    Up

My pleasure Samith – glad they were helpful comments
    Good luck with it – I will check back next week to see how it went :)
    Have a good weekend.

Samith
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 87521 wrote:
    My pleasure Samith – glad they were helpful comments
    Good luck with it – I will check back next week to see how it went :)
    Have a good weekend.

You too Jacqui, have a great weekend! Thanks again for your feedback, it’s amazing to hear about the website from a user perspective.

JacquiPryor
    Up

Hi Samith,

Just had another look at your site – personally, think the instant quote information/privacy policy etc is better this way. As a consumer/visitor I would be much more comfortable contacting you now that I can see what you will/won’t do with my information etc and the ‘process’ to get the quote etc :)

Plus, the drop down list shows the lowest project budget to select is under $1000, which already gives me a better idea of possible budgets than the under $500 that may have proved disappointing if not actually possible.

Nice one :)

Samith
    Up

Thanks heaps Jacqui,

It looks much more legit now, I can really see how that little change affect our conversions, we have already improved our conversion rate for today, thanks a lot for your genuine review.

Next steps is to create 4 different landing pages for the four technologies that we recommend and get our hands on a 1300 number. I’m working on that this week.

If you fancy an Adwords coupon as an appreciation, please let me know :) I got heaps to giveaway (but can only use on new Adwords accounts)

JayeClissold
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hey Samith,

I’m not sure if you’re aware or not, but on the home page a lot of text runs together in IE9, and when I view it in compatability mode I see the slider that you have but it jumps around when you get to the second slide. Those are my 2 main issues with the site and if I were a potential customer it would probably be enough to put me off contacting you. I would also suggest include the URL of the website in your portfolio so that people can go straight there instead of having to search for the site just to view your work.

P.S. I just noticed that when in compatability mode it also floats everything to the far right so that there is a large gap on the left hand side.

All the best,

Jaye Clissold

Samith
    Up
    JayeClissold, post: 88144 wrote:
    Hey Samith,

I’m not sure if you’re aware or not, but on the home page a lot of text runs together in IE9, and when I view it in compatability mode I see the slider that you have but it jumps around when you get to the second slide. Those are my 2 main issues with the site and if I were a potential customer it would probably be enough to put me off contacting you. I would also suggest include the URL of the website in your portfolio so that people can go straight there instead of having to search for the site just to view your work.

P.S. I just noticed that when in compatability mode it also floats everything to the far right so that there is a large gap on the left hand side.

All the best,

Jaye Clissold

Thanks Jaye,

I just checked on IE9 and you are right, it’s a mystery why different versions of IE renders web pages differently, we didn’t test IE9 since it’s fresh and we don’t get a lot of visitors using IE9, it’s growing tho. Without winging about Microsoft I’ll apply a fix for it :) shouldn’t be too hard.

You are spot on with the portfolio links, one of those things that get missed in the rush of going live. I’ll fix that today.

Thanks again Jaye, really good feedback!

Best Regards,
    Samith

JacquiPryor
    Up
    Samith, post: 87823 wrote:
    Thanks heaps Jacqui,

It looks much more legit now, I can really see how that little change affect our conversions, we have already improved our conversion rate for today, thanks a lot for your genuine review.

Next steps is to create 4 different landing pages for the four technologies that we recommend and get our hands on a 1300 number. I’m working on that this week.

If you fancy an Adwords coupon as an appreciation, please let me know :) I got heaps to giveaway (but can only use on new Adwords accounts)

Hi Samith – I think the pages for the technologies will be a great addition once time allows you to get to those!

Re the 1300 Number – if it’s of any interest, we have an ongoing ‘co promotion’ with a Telco company that covers 1300 numbers – specifically –

“1300 Numbers Free connection, free access for 12 months and $12.50 access per month thereafter. (Telstra charge $25 per month for this!)” – If you are interested, please let me know your email address and I will have the company contact you directly (Oracle Telecom) – needs to come through our office for the above offer to apply.

Re the adwords voucher – thanks a lot for the offer. We already run an adwords account so wouldn’t be applicable to us – thanks all the same :)

Samith
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 88172 wrote:
    Hi Samith – I think the pages for the technologies will be a great addition once time allows you to get to those!

Re the 1300 Number – if it’s of any interest, we have an ongoing ‘co promotion’ with a Telco company that covers 1300 numbers – specifically –

“1300 Numbers Free connection, free access for 12 months and $12.50 access per month thereafter. (Telstra charge $25 per month for this!)” – If you are interested, please let me know your email address and I will have the company contact you directly (Oracle Telecom) – needs to come through our office for the above offer to apply.

Re the adwords voucher – thanks a lot for the offer. We already run an adwords account so wouldn’t be applicable to us – thanks all the same :)

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks a lot for the offer, I’ve sent you a pm with my email address on it, please get them to contact me, I’m urgently looking for a 1300 number. Re the Adwords coupon, I’m waiting for the day Google start rewarding existing advertisers, but so far nothing :(

Best Regards,
    Samith

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.