Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New Direction! What are your thoughts?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #977103
    Mark Johnson
    Member
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,

    I am new to flying solo. I have had my ABN for years, just never used it…

    I have recently acted on one of my many business ideas and made it happen!
    So here I am getting some feedback on it and hopefully, you like the concept and put the word out for me.

    It is a very simple, yet effective form of advertising. I have a collection of box trailers that I have purpose built for advertising. I park the trailers on strategic roadside locations and people can come and borrow them for free. The advertising is affordable due to the low upkeep of the trailers and they provide localized advertising, while providing a free service to the community.

    If you want more information on the idea feel free to check out my website: http://freetrailerhire.webs.com

    #1091450
    NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up
    0
    ::

    Awesome Idea – Terribad website (that’s a combo of terrible and bad).

    I think your idea really has some legs so my first piece of advice is take the time, effort, $$$ to make a good qualify website/brand image, the last thing you want is you concept tarnished in it’s early stages by not looking attractive.

    Your website is a reflection go your own ability to make appealing “adverts” for you potential clients. Your current site would lead me to believe that if I paid for an ad service with you it would be of similar quality to you website and unfortunately that would do you out of my business.

    There are plenty of “vultures” (FS in joke, I mean web guys & designers) that should be able to help knock something up nice and shinny on the cheap here.

    Best of luck with your business.

    #1091563
    NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up
    0
    ::

    Awesome Idea – Terribad website (that’s a combo of terrible and bad).

    I think your idea really has some legs so my first piece of advice is take the time, effort, $$$ to make a good qualify website/brand image, the last thing you want is you concept tarnished in it’s early stages by not looking attractive.

    Your website is a reflection go your own ability to make appealing “adverts” for you potential clients. Your current site would lead me to believe that if I paid for an ad service with you it would be of similar quality to you website and unfortunately that would do you out of my business.

    There are plenty of “vultures” (FS in joke, I mean web guys & designers) that should be able to help knock something up nice and shinny on the cheap here.

    Best of luck with your business.

    #1091451
    AgentMail
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Mark,

    I have driven past that trailer several times in Virginia and wondered what it was all about.

    Firstly massive congrats for acting on a business idea, and I think it is a great idea, defintely something you could role out on a major basis.

    To second the other posters comments, get that site sorted ;)

    It needs some work that could easily be taken care of by using a WordPress template. Also spend the $30 to get yourself a proper domain name.

    I also found it took a lot of searching to find your locations – this should be prominent and on the home page.

    Great idea though, but you will need some strong marketing to get the two sides of the business pulling money in for you – start with a decent website, then look into Adwords etc. – To be able to show a good ROI, those trailers need to be on the road at all times.

    Best of luck, make sure you get along to some of the FS Meetup groups too.

    #1091565
    AgentMail
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Mark,

    I have driven past that trailer several times in Virginia and wondered what it was all about.

    Firstly massive congrats for acting on a business idea, and I think it is a great idea, defintely something you could role out on a major basis.

    To second the other posters comments, get that site sorted ;)

    It needs some work that could easily be taken care of by using a WordPress template. Also spend the $30 to get yourself a proper domain name.

    I also found it took a lot of searching to find your locations – this should be prominent and on the home page.

    Great idea though, but you will need some strong marketing to get the two sides of the business pulling money in for you – start with a decent website, then look into Adwords etc. – To be able to show a good ROI, those trailers need to be on the road at all times.

    Best of luck, make sure you get along to some of the FS Meetup groups too.

    #1091452
    tonyk
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    0
    ::

    Agree, great idea but website is severely lacking polish. If hiring a web designer is out of your budget, you can get good looking WordPress templates relatively cheaply.

    Best of luck with your venture :)

    #1091567
    tonyk
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    0
    ::

    Agree, great idea but website is severely lacking polish. If hiring a web designer is out of your budget, you can get good looking WordPress templates relatively cheaply.

    Best of luck with your venture :)

    #1091453
    King
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    0
    ::

    Well done on what I call feeding the ‘hunger’ (the hunger being the ‘need’ to be in business and not a drone employee)

    The site while needing improvement, also needs some more images and split up the “host a trailer and “advertise on a trailer – I guess the two are different!

    #1091569
    King
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    0
    ::

    Well done on what I call feeding the ‘hunger’ (the hunger being the ‘need’ to be in business and not a drone employee)

    The site while needing improvement, also needs some more images and split up the “host a trailer and “advertise on a trailer – I guess the two are different!

    #1091454
    Mark Johnson
    Member
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,

    Thank you for the constructive feedback. I will look into the new website. When I have something new to show, I will post it back on here to see what you think.

    Thanks again!

    #1091571
    Mark Johnson
    Member
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,

    Thank you for the constructive feedback. I will look into the new website. When I have something new to show, I will post it back on here to see what you think.

    Thanks again!

    #1091455
    HollyRose
    Member
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    0
    ::

    Terribad – thats my new favourite word.

    I love the concept!! Its much like mine – you give 90% of a service away and make money on the other 10% that most people didn’t think about.

    You might like this blog I read called The Art of Non-Conformity. Chris wrote a great piece about unconventional business ideas which discusses the 90% / 10% thing.

    http://chrisguillebeau.com/3×5/unconventional-business-ideas/

    Cheers,

    HollyRose
    fsmbwd.png

    #1091574
    HollyRose
    Member
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    0
    ::

    Terribad – thats my new favourite word.

    I love the concept!! Its much like mine – you give 90% of a service away and make money on the other 10% that most people didn’t think about.

    You might like this blog I read called The Art of Non-Conformity. Chris wrote a great piece about unconventional business ideas which discusses the 90% / 10% thing.

    http://chrisguillebeau.com/3×5/unconventional-business-ideas/

    Cheers,

    HollyRose
    fsmbwd.png

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.