Home – New Forums Tell me straight… New Guide – How to Backup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I have developed my new guide on How to Backup. I would be really grateful if anyone who is interested has a look at gives me some feedback.

What I am most interested in is:

• What topics you would like added
    • Whether the content is useful
    • Whether the content is written in the right tone

It is at: How To Backup

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Hi Kevin,

How about a post about how to back up blogs – Most small businesses have blogs and hopefully most of their webs hosting companies have a control panel..so may be a step by step tutorial on what to back up for a wordpress blog…

Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Hi Kevin,

How about a post about how to back up blogs – Most small businesses have blogs and hopefully most of their webs hosting companies have a control panel..so may be a step by step tutorial on what to back up for a wordpress blog…

soliddata
    Up

Thanks Sandy,

I will definitely add that one. I appreciate the help.

Kevin

soliddata
    Up

Thanks Sandy,

I will definitely add that one. I appreciate the help.

Kevin

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

Hi Kevin. I was left thinking it felt too much like linkbait. Nothing really terribly wrong with that in itself, but I didn’t see the need to structure the guide into different pages, and some of the repetition turned me off.

How about spicing it up with some graphics or a heading that says “sooner or later every hard drive will fail”, something like that which might get someone’s attention a little sooner and keep the bounce rate low.

Maybe some other content that reminds small businesses just how critical, and valuable their data really is.

FYI I had a little backup panic on the weekend. I’ve been dutifully running weekly backups for a few years and never had a reason to restore. (Using a Paragon product). I decided to restore my machine after some bluescreens and went through the process for the first time, only to be promptly told by the special bootloader software that it didn’t have permission to proceed. I never found out what the problem was and the only post I found with the same error code was an unanswered forum post.

Made me realise I was being a bit smug about my ‘proper’ backup routine as I never actually tested the end-end process out!

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

Hi Kevin. I was left thinking it felt too much like linkbait. Nothing really terribly wrong with that in itself, but I didn’t see the need to structure the guide into different pages, and some of the repetition turned me off.

How about spicing it up with some graphics or a heading that says “sooner or later every hard drive will fail”, something like that which might get someone’s attention a little sooner and keep the bounce rate low.

Maybe some other content that reminds small businesses just how critical, and valuable their data really is.

FYI I had a little backup panic on the weekend. I’ve been dutifully running weekly backups for a few years and never had a reason to restore. (Using a Paragon product). I decided to restore my machine after some bluescreens and went through the process for the first time, only to be promptly told by the special bootloader software that it didn’t have permission to proceed. I never found out what the problem was and the only post I found with the same error code was an unanswered forum post.

Made me realise I was being a bit smug about my ‘proper’ backup routine as I never actually tested the end-end process out!

Insure4U
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

How about

How to back up a hard drive for a very busy person.

Insure4U
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

How about

How to back up a hard drive for a very busy person.

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

if it were me, id pdf it and have it as an ebook to giveaway to list build.

the site navi is a little confusion and a PDF would be much easier to read and consume.

its also a little too in depth and as important as backups are, most small businesses just dont get it or do it.

instead of telling people how to do it, scare the crap out of them and tell them you offer a solution! :)

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

if it were me, id pdf it and have it as an ebook to giveaway to list build.

the site navi is a little confusion and a PDF would be much easier to read and consume.

its also a little too in depth and as important as backups are, most small businesses just dont get it or do it.

instead of telling people how to do it, scare the crap out of them and tell them you offer a solution! :)

soliddata
    Up

Thanks all,

That is great review and some great tips. I am working on a number of the fixes already (though I have been enjoying a week at the beach so time has been short).

I will let you know how I go.

Kev

soliddata
    Up

Thanks all,

That is great review and some great tips. I am working on a number of the fixes already (though I have been enjoying a week at the beach so time has been short).

I will let you know how I go.

Kev

TrishF
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi Kevin
    I think you need a headline at the top of the page – also when I read the headline about 10% of laptops…. I immediately thought – most people would think that’s not much of a risk to take. I would make the headline more compelling and “prod” the problem a bit more.

I would also make it a PDF download – add an opt-in box and collect names for a database. When you give away good, free info, you should get name & email.

Cheers
    Trish

TrishF
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi Kevin
    I think you need a headline at the top of the page – also when I read the headline about 10% of laptops…. I immediately thought – most people would think that’s not much of a risk to take. I would make the headline more compelling and “prod” the problem a bit more.

I would also make it a PDF download – add an opt-in box and collect names for a database. When you give away good, free info, you should get name & email.

Cheers
    Trish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.