Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New Guy Saying Hi

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Watotech
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

Hi All My name is Brett And I am just Starting up my own IT business.

I Have been reading through the website and it has been very helpful and I hope to repay the help by becoming a regular on these boards

A Little about Me
    I have been working in various capacities within the IT space for the past 10 years and started my own business this year.

Watotech Offers a range of servicing including support, web hosting & development , networking, software development as well as the provision of hardware and the like.
    Our philosophy is get the job done right the first time.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Welcome Brett,

How do you find being a “Jack of trades” so to speak?
    It must keep you on your toes?

Good luck

Watotech
    Up

Hi Ray

Having just started this business I spend more time marketing then anything else.

I am hoping to offer a broad range of services so as not to put all my eggs in one basket.

And also I enjoy doing more then one thing it makes you think and come up with creative solutions from different areas.

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Brett

Welcome. Glad to see that you are really sinking your teeth into things.

If I can offer a word of caution. Not putting all your eggs in one basket is a good strategy. Just be careful not to spread yourself too thin :)

Best of luck.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Speaking from experience, I would narrow down your services to one thing. It’s a mistake I made, trying to do everything, and I did indeed spread myself too thin.

On my to do list is to re-do my tech monkeys site, my niche is going to be customer built computers – no more on-site work. In a marketing sense, it’s just too hard to say “I do A, B, C, D, E AND F!” – people lose interest.

If you really want to do web development or software programming, I would setup an “alias business” to do it. Separate website, etc.

Watotech
    Up

Alot of good points I think I will have to think about what my core business is going to be at this point in time i leaning towards support.

I think I will concentrate on that for now and build it up and leave the web design for a later date

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Narrow your niche

Watotech, post: 31444 wrote:
    Alot of good points I think I will have to think about what my core business is going to be at this point in time i leaning towards support.

I think I will concentrate on that for now and build it up and leave the web design for a later date

Hi Brett

I think that it is great that you have decided to narrow down your niche. There are so many great business ideas that never got off the ground because the owner tried to be everything to everyone.

If you are leaning towards the support aspect, I would suggest that you do some research first, if you haven’t already.

Don’t just choose the support aspect because you prefer that over the others but make sure that people are going to want/need what it is that you will be offering.

Chris’s suggestions are great. I would hit the pavement and visit businesses that are your ideal client. Ask them what they feel is lacking in the service provided by their current supplier. You may see a pattern emerge or a common complaint or problem that they are experiencing.

Then meet that need and meet it well.

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Hi Brett,

Welcome to the forum. I’m also in the process of starting a new business and might be in need of your services as you’re in my neck of the woods. Initially I’m going to need some hardware/software setup advice for my bookkeeping business. Is this something you’d be interested in?

Cheers,

Trish.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

G’day Brett!

Welcome and good luck with the business, good to see another person from Melbourne on here.

Cheers,

Matt

Watotech
    Up
    Trish HBB, post: 31458 wrote:
    Hi Brett,

Welcome to the forum. I’m also in the process of starting a new business and might be in need of your services as you’re in my neck of the woods. Initially I’m going to need some hardware/software setup advice for my bookkeeping business. Is this something you’d be interested in?

Cheers,

Trish.

Hi Trish

I Would be interested in helping you out. Feel Free to contact me and we can discuss this further

Watotech
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 31461 wrote:
    G’day Brett!

Welcome and good luck with the business, good to see another person from Melbourne on here.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt its nice to be here :)

Trish FCA
    Up
    Watotech, post: 31464 wrote:
    Hi Trish

I Would be interested in helping you out. Feel Free to contact me and we can discuss this further

Thanks Brett,

I’ve sent an email to you via your website with a brief outline of my needs.

Cheers,

Trish.

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Hi Brett

Welcome and it looks like you might already have your first customer! Aren’t you glad you jumped in? :) All the best with your new business.

Trish FCA
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 31479 wrote:
    Hi Brett

Welcome and it looks like you might already have your first customer! Aren’t you glad you jumped in? :) All the best with your new business.

Good evening Gina,

Gotta share the love.

Cheers,

Trish.

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

That’s what it’s all about, Trish :) lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.