Home Forums New here? Share your story New here and advice needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sportsbuddy35
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2

Hi

My name is Chris. I don’t actually run a business as such, but own a sports blog in which I cover an Aussie Sports event that occurs once a year.

In the lead up to the event, the blog gets quite a bit of organic traffic through search engines.

As it is a hobby, I have never really tried to monetize it as I enjoy sports statistics and writing about something I have a passion for, but the traffic grew significantly in the second year.

I don’t really understand how I could monetize something like this or if it can even be done as the information I provide is free to all, but I guess most the people reading it don’t have the time or patience to do the research I have done.

If anybody has any tips or guidelines, that would be awesome.

Cheers

Chris

Marcus James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1

Great info

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,175

Hi and welcome to Flying Solo Chris.

You could advertise on the Blog or develop an affiliation with a complimentary business such as a training camp, collect emails and send them to your list.

It goes without saying that doing so ethically is key.

Cheers
    Paul

Louis84
    Participant

@sportsbuddy35 I was in the field of SEO that’s why I can share my personal view on that. If you want to monetise the blog then you have to take care of following:
    Do the keyword research properly.
    On Page SEO must be done properly.
    Articles/ Posts on your blog must be engaging the users otherwise the spam score will increase.
    Then you can apply for the Adsense and for that you can search on the YouTube or you can Google it.
    Once it is approved then keep tracking on the blog for the new articles or posts to maintain the traffic which in result will maintain the earnings.
    Otherwise——
    You can apply for the affiliation for your blog and you can earn from that.

Regards

Dave Gillen – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,556

@sportsbuddy35 a couple of thoughts:

-Offer limited info for free, with a premium paid product offering some advantage (more info, earlier access, hands-on help, etc).
    -A good way to start would be to build an email list, so that you build an audience you can contact directly. You might deliver premium content via email as an incentive.

If you’re willing to share your blog, you’ll get some good ideas from our members.
    Dave

Dave Gillen - Client Acquisition | Brisbane | (07) 3180 0288
    sportsbuddy35
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

To be honest, the parts that hold me back from putting my work out there are the legal aspects of running an online business. I can’t seem to find any consistent information on this.

If I was to take payments for a service I am providing, what are some of the things I need to consider? eg Tax, Trademarks, ABN, Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy, Disclaimers (all seems a bit confusing)

Does where my website is hosted have an impact on potential earnings and tax obligations?

Also, I would have no idea how to even setup taking payments for premium information on a website or what software I should use? I know how to use WordPress, but that’s about it.

The blog ranks on the first and second page of google for keywords related to the sporting event. It got 10,000+ pageviews in a few days last year purely from search engines leading up to the event.

If there are any SEO or Website/Online Marketing Gurus out there, please feel free to reach out.

Any information would be much appreciated

Cheers

Dave Gillen – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,556

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

To be honest, the parts that hold me back from putting my work out there are the legal aspects of running an online business. I can’t seem to find any consistent information on this.

If I was to take payments for a service I am providing, what are some of the things I need to consider? eg Tax, Trademarks, ABN, Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy, Disclaimers (all seems a bit confusing)

Does where my website is hosted have an impact on potential earnings and tax obligations?

Also, I would have no idea how to even setup taking payments for premium information on a website or what software I should use? I know how to use WordPress, but that’s about it.

The blog ranks on the first and second page of google for keywords related to the sporting event. It got 10,000+ pageviews in a few days last year purely from search engines leading up to the event.

If there are any SEO or Website/Online Marketing Gurus out there, please feel free to reach out.

Any information would be much appreciated

Cheers

Try to start basic.

A simple way to collect money is to set up a Paypal account, and then stick a Paypal button on your website.
    An ABN is easy to get, by filling out a form or two.
    Every website has a privacy policy, take a look at a few and possibly ask a web designer for help customising yours.
    Income earned will be taxable (unless this is a hobby, not a business).

You will need to take a little time on each (a bit of research etc). Together they feel like a real barrier to starting your business, but if you tackle them one by one, you can figure them out fairly quickly and tick them off your list.

A lot of people on this forum I think would tell you that their first business venture was an important stepping stone to what they are doing now, whether it’s the same business or their fifth. So keep that in mind if it sometimes seems a bit complex or pointless.

Best of luck.
    Dave

Dave Gillen - Client Acquisition | Brisbane | (07) 3180 0288
    Mandy Barker
    Participant
    • Total posts: 11

Hey Chris,

I suggest you have a look at ‘Side Hustle School’ website, podcast and books.

SideHustleSchool dot com

Chris Guillebeau has been profiling real-life case studies of folks monetising these types of blogs for years and you might get the guidance you need.

Best of luck!
    Mandy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.