Home Forums New here? Share your story New here. My story

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kieranpressureclean
    • Total posts: 3

Hi all, I’m Kieran and new to starting a business and to this website.

So basically about 5 weeks ago I picked up a virus (not THE virus haha) which went to my brain and caused me to have seizures and a coma. The doctor has told me I won’t be cleared to work for approximately 6 months. I was working in mining up to this point. So after I got out of my coma and went home I had to do a lot of walking every day just to get my legs back and general fitness which I have been doing a different route every day about 10km with my 1 year old. So I realised walking through mine and my surrounding suburbs pretty quickly that about 80% of roofs, driveways, fences and concrete areas are mouldy and black. I went home and did some research and there is no local business offering this service. So since I won’t be able to return to my work when I’m cleared to work due to anti seizure medication, I have decided I have 5 months to plan and start my business pressure cleaning houses. I have researched the equipment I will need as in washer machine and attachments, ladders, harnesses etc. I am already trained in working at heights, I have found 2 modules of training in pressure washing which I will complete. I will be applying for an abn and registering my business name and getting public liability insurance a little closer to kick off date. I am trained in the operation of elevated work platforms should the need arise. I plan on doing pamphlet and business card drops in letter boxes on my walks every day, but I’m wondering how far out from start date I should do that. I guess what I’m asking is there anything I have missed or could be done better? I would really like to make this work and at the moment I have nothing but time. I should also mention I have the money I need to cover all the equipment and marketing costs. I feel like I’m in a good position to do this but I believe knowledge is power and who better to gain knowledge from then other people who have already done it! I also completed my certificate 3 in bookkeeping a few years back when the government was offering it to people who didn’t finish high school for $50 lol…

So if you’ve gotten this far, thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you!

Kieran

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,146

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=117724]@kieranpressureclean[/USER] .

It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

I am sorry to hear about the effects of your illness.

The possibility of having a seizure whilst working at heights sounds very scary.

It is possible to do pressure cleaning without doing roofs.

You could look at Gumtree for equipment under Businesses for Sale – I have seen everything from domestic 4hp to truck mount stups including whirlyaways – on that subject, the bigger the better and you will need one with wheels for roofs if you go in that direction.

You can advertise on Gumtree FB Marketplace and Serviceseeking to start with and if you gain traction, you can consider a website and Adwords and FB Ads.

Beware, there seems to be A LOT of equipment/businesses that come up for sale in this field – I suspect a lot of people end up with shattered dreams.

Cheers

kieranpressureclean

Hey mate thanks for the reply, I did a search I could only see 1 franchise for sale. There is allot of domestic machines for sale though. I priced a commercial machine that is 13HP/4000 psi with 15 Ltr per minute and a 18″ surface cleaner for around $2000 which is on a wheels/ trolley type set up. I also priced 2 extension high pressure hoses so hopefully it rarely comes off the ute. As for the seizures I had 1 in the hospital which is what prompted them to take my condition seriously as they where saying I had anxiety to my wife :/ id actually had an infection in the brain which cause my brain to swell so much I had a seizure as a symptom. The medication is only precautionary now but it is law 6 months minimum if you have 1 seizure under any circumstances apparently. I’ll be using a harness when necessary anyhow. Thanks mate appreciate your input :)

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,146

Amazing medical story – I am glad you made it out alive.

Even driving to jobs could be dicey though?

I think 20″ or 21″ would be better because quicker :-) but the price is good.

I did once have an idea for a pressure clean of a single price point because it is a imo, good and undersold niche. Having a niche is great because it makes for easy and targeted marketing.

The idea was $99 driveway cleans – from memory, the average driveway is about 56 SQM so I would have included 60 SQM and then charge extras from there.

I thought the driveway was ideal because it makes a huge and immediate impact. And because it would be an ideal sell to Real Estate Agents because big impact and cheap.

I would have simply tried to use them in a way where they bring up the idea with the vendor and the vendor pays me directly.

Cheers

kieranpressureclean

Yea thanks mate. I had planned on approaching agents about this but I really like your strategy. Thanks mate

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.