Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New here – what business to do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    happyspace
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

A little about me: I’m not anywhere near having my own business but I love the idea and think it’s the way of the future. I agree with Seth Godin that now is a golden age of opportunity to strike out on your own because society and culture is in a state of flux. I taught high school for a couple of years and have recently started working in publishing as an editor.

What I would like to know is, if you don’t already have an idea for your own business but you want to work for yourself, how do you decide what to do? I want to do something that I can believe in and of course earn a great income. I’ve talked to a career consultant for advice and she helped me orient towards my interest. However, after making some steps in that direction, I don’t seem to be much closer to a concrete path to follow.

To anticipate some possible questions, I have a couple of casual hobbies but I’m not interested in turning them into work (although the skills and interest may come in handy). I have thought about tutoring, which I prefer to classroom teaching, but I’m not really that interested in it.

Any tips? Is there anyone else here in a similar position, or who was in a similar position? How did you decide what to do?

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi [USER=58947]@happyspace[/USER]

Welcome to Flying Solo!

It can be difficult to come up with that perfect idea from day 1 that matches your interests and is also profitable, and so on. But often you just need to get moving to get closer to the answer.

The approach I like is: How could you help someone today?

Help a friend or put an ad on Gumtree. If you get a good result, get a referral and a testimonial and keep rolling, then start charging once you’re confident.

This may not be the big answer for the rest of your life, but it’s the quickest way to get into business. Then you get a taste of working for yourself (see if you like it), you get to try one type of business (see if you like it), and get a much better idea of whether you’ve started down the right path.

After a while you’ll have new skills and new ideas about the next step for you.

Good luck! And I can recommend this course by AppSumo – it walks you through a similar process step by step: https://www.appsumo.com/how-to-make-your-first-dollar/

Dave

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up

Hi,

There is no right answer of course. Back when employment was plentiful, people used to try a new job and if they liked it, they stayed, if not, they could get a new job next day.

I have always liked this experiential approach because finding out what you do not like is just as important as what you do like.

One way of exploring experientially is to hang out a shingle for a micro business where you do not need to invest a lot of capital eg, dog walking, tutoring and cleaning or gardening come to mind.

You can even learn how to do things like web site building or SEO services if you spend enough time researching. You can do courses for cheap on Linda.com or Udemy.com

You can look at business for sale listings to keep your eye out for the types of businesses that are popular as well.

Whatever you eventually decide on though will require you to learn your craft and that takes real commitment, no matter your field.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

When I began I simply just wanted to type for people and be home for my children. I thought that would last a few years and I’d go back to a job. But I didn’t know the internet was just around the corner and a whole new industry was about to birth – virtual assistants. I ended up being the founder of the industry here in Australia and have mentored over 1500 people (mainly women) in becoming VAs. Sometimes what seems a small idea can grow.

Incidentally I chose typing because I really enjoyed doing this for people. I do a lot or other things these days but that’s how it got started. So think about what you enjoy doing that hopefully wouldn’t become a chore from you and let it grow from there. Sometimes you’ll find that clients will help direct your path when they ask if you also do….? That’s what happened for me.

happyspace
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thank you so much all for the thoughtful and useful replies. Now I have a few things to think about and try.

This forum really is different to others out there.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Best to try and do something which you’re passionate about, that way in the beginning when you’re not making much money you’ll still have fun doing it regardless. Then the money will come over time.

Also try and think of a problem which you can solve for a segment of people, that way you can feel confident that there are actually customers out there who will buy what you’re selling.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.