Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New in business/ New virtual assistant and a little overwhelmed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    superv/a
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    I have just started my Virtual Assistant business based in the Redlands (brisbane). I have done all the set up which is a the part I enjoy the most (administration junkie!) but now I have to network and get clients and this is giving me sleepless nights 😮 . It just all seems to be very daunting..so any tips will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ozbizconcierge.com

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Just remember, most things are difficult before they become easy.

Things we haven’t done before or don’t feel too confident about can seem very daunting – just jump in and remember no-one ever died from being rejected. Get out and talk to people and let them know you’re an “administration junkie” many like me avoid this and are only too happy to have someone else do it. The more people you talk to (friends and family first – tell them to tell others too) the more chance you have a getting your first clients, once that happens it’s much easier the next time.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi superv/a,

Welcome to the forum.
    Im fairly tech savvy and I didnt know about VA’s. Im sure Im not sailing in this boat alone. I think awareness by the customers is what is needed here.

Steve

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I’m sure you’ll get through these as your business progress. Things are rough at the start so as they say. Read, research and ask those who are years in the business. By the way welcome to the forum! :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi superv/a,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and don’t worry – you’re far from being alone in finding the whole networking thing a tad overwhelming. Have a read of this article from Peter and the comments in response to it if you need an bit of reassurance there.

And by the way, next time you pop in, please be sure to tell us your name so that we can give you a more personal welcome.

All the best for your new venture,
    Jayne

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Sorry you’re finding it overwhelming! Personally I get a big rush from that kind of start-up overwhelm ;) Try to use it to your advantage!

I would recommend breaking your overwhelm up into a large list, then prioritising tasks into stages so that you can tackle it piece by piece.

Nothing more satisfying than crossing something off your list ;)

Good luck!

superv/a
    Up

Hi Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

Joan

KellyHallVA
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi, I’m in the same boat. I started my VA business early September. While I have had clients that have been referred to me from the VA business that I am licensed under, I am still trying to build a client base of my own. I do get anxious when I think about it but I do know it takes time. I’ve been to some networking events, and will probably keep going to them and getting myself out there particularly on LinkedIn. I think we need to make people aware of the VA business and how beneficial it can be to small businesses and sole-traders etc.

Good luck with it, you’re not alone!!

Kelly

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Welcome to the forums, Joan. You have come to the right place in order to have any queries you have answered. Best of luck with your venture.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Hi Joan (and Kelly), welcome to both the VA world and Flying Solo. You’ll find there are a few VAs here and I find it surprising that other members haven’t yet heard of us. Where have you been guys? ;)

I’ve been in the industry since its birth in the 1990s and I love the industry and I love organising people and doing general admin. So yes, it was a natural thing to do!

I’m sure you’ll learn heaps about the networking and marketing side of things if you hang around here long enough. I encourage you to visit my blog as I have heaps of hints and tips there for both VAs and their clients as well.

I’m sure I’ll see you around here again soon!

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    KellyHallVA, post: 137647 wrote:
    Hi, I’m in the same boat. I started my VA business early September. While I have had clients that have been referred to me from the VA business that I am licensed under, I am still trying to build a client base of my own. I do get anxious when I think about it but I do know it takes time. I’ve been to some networking events, and will probably keep going to them and getting myself out there particularly on LinkedIn. I think we need to make people aware of the VA business and how beneficial it can be to small businesses and sole-traders etc.

Kelly

The networking side of things is definitely hard. The key is to just be yourself and go to as many events as possible. Over time your confidence will grow.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    tonyk, post: 137701 wrote:
    The networking side of things is definitely hard. The key is to just be yourself and go to as many events as possible. Over time your confidence will grow.

I find the key to successful networking are the following:

• Consistency and persistency. If you go on a regular basis people will get to know and trust you over time and will be more likely to refer work to you. If you only turn up now and then (when you’re desperate for more work for example) it won’t work for the most part.
    • Act like the host and not like the guest. A quote from Robyn Henderson, Australia’s networking guru. In other words don’t wait for people to come up to you at events, walk up to others that you can see are alone, introduce yourself and engage them in conversation.
    • Remember you have two ears and one mouth and use them in proportion.
    superv/a
    Up
    KellyHallVA, post: 137647 wrote:

Kelly

HI Kelly,
    We started at the same time!!! I would be very interested in comparing notes and progress if you were keen…email me [email protected]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.