Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New Member Seeking Honest Feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JWK
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Greetings!

I have launched a consulting firm http://www.ketterandassociates.com that works with non-profit organisations.

Putting yourself in the seat of a non-profit decision maker who is under-resourced and seeking expertise to help in the area of fundraising, operations management, and board/volunteer development what is your reaction to my website (look, content, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any and all comments. Warm regards, Jason

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

I’ll see if I can get my wife’s opinion on this tonight (she has a lot of experience in the non-profit sector), but my initial take is “doesn’t look non profit focused to me”.

The language doesn’t seem focused on non profit’s:
    “Really developing your business”
    “Best ideas for your business”

No references on the home page to any non profit that I can see. No language seeming to target non profits. It seems like a very generic business consultancy.

Some relevant info does exist on your site, under “Our Advice”, but if I was in their shoes probably, I would have left before I found it.

The site looks decent enough, but it doesn’t feel like it a firm with any non profit emphasis to me. I’d try put more non profit sector language, problems, and imagery on the home page so they would immediately feel some relation to you.

Cheers

Adrian

JWK
    Up

Thanks Adrian, much appreciated. You are correct about the front page and I am working on some new images and text. I just recently picked up learning wordpress in the 30 days so it certainly is a work in progress. Cheers, Jason

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Great idea, but the fundamental problem as you stated is they are resourced and normally underfunded, so selling them this service might be challenging?

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard the forums!

I’d say the biggest thing is to show some of your experience. You’ve mentioned your proven track record but you need to show what this means.
    Include companies you’ve worked with and what you did for them, and any testimonials you can get. These things will act as proof of your abilities, and the examples will also help people to better visualise what you could do for them.

Best of luck. :)

Dave

Kathy – Identity Shop
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    JWK, post: 207287 wrote:
    Greetings!

I have launched a consulting firm http://www.ketterandassociates.com that works with non-profit organisations.

Putting yourself in the seat of a non-profit decision maker who is under-resourced and seeking expertise to help in the area of fundraising, operations management, and board/volunteer development what is your reaction to my website (look, content, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any and all comments. Warm regards, Jason

Hi Jason,

There is still a bit to do on your website, but you have obviously learned a lot in a short time. Content needs filling out with a minimum 300 words per page. Be clear and confident and tell your audience who you are and what you do, then show them with examples and testimonials. There is also SEO etc to consider in your content etc.

The site also needs to be mobile friendly.

It is rather late 11:50pm so I’ll chat more tomorrow, if you like.

Thanks

Kathy

Berrigan Motel
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

I’m viewing on an ipad and the first 2 pages I’ve tried to use aren’t working properly for me. There’s a large panel on your home page that is just giving me a loading circle constantly. I almost didn’t notice that there was content under that blank section.

Then I went to the about us section as I wanted to see if it talked more about your qualifications and experience as your home page didn’t tell me anything. The about us page that I landed on also didn’t tell me anything about you and why I should choose you over another consultancy. I tried to select what appeared to be a link in the about us top navigation panel to view information about you but the drop down menu disapeared immediately upon clicking and I ended up on the same about us page (I think the “about us” is supposed to be a menu heading and I should be able to click about you or your associates or your value proposition but because the menu heading is also a link, there isn’t an opportunity to click any of the lower links).

I spent most of my corporate career in the non-profit sector. We did use consultants a lot because we couldn’t always afford or source a permanent employee for the projects we were running. But, in the organisations I worked for, a large majority of funding was from government and carried extensive reporting and compliance obligations. We needed to be able to show due diligence in our selection of staff, volunteers and consultants. The content I can currently view on your site does not provide me with any of the information I would require to be able to justify choosing your firm.

As other people have said, provide actual examples of your work and quantify your results – additional fundraising dollars raised, increase in staff satisfaction or customer retention following your training programs, etc. testimonials would be very beneficial. And make sure the site is mobile friendly. The executive team at my last workplace used ipads for the majority of our off site work. The beauty of tablets and smart phones is that the busy exec can search for things like new consultants while they’re sitting on the train, waiting for a meeting, watching tv, etc.

JWK
    Up
    Tony Manto, post: 207327 wrote:
    Great idea, but the fundamental problem as you stated is they are resourced and normally underfunded, so selling them this service might be challenging?

Thanks Tony!

JWK
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 207328 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard the forums!

I’d say the biggest thing is to show some of your experience. You’ve mentioned your proven track record but you need to show what this means.
    Include companies you’ve worked with and what you did for them, and any testimonials you can get. These things will act as proof of your abilities, and the examples will also help people to better visualise what you could do for them.

Best of luck. :)

Dave

Thank Dave. I am finalising that content and will be getting it posted. I really appreciate your taking the time. Cheers, Jason

JWK
    Up
    Kathy – Identity Shop, post: 207335 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

There is still a bit to do on your website, but you have obviously learned a lot in a short time. Content needs filling out with a minimum 300 words per page. Be clear and confident and tell your audience who you are and what you do, then show them with examples and testimonials. There is also SEO etc to consider in your content etc.

The site also needs to be mobile friendly.

It is rather late 11:50pm so I’ll chat more tomorrow, if you like.

Thanks

Kathy

Thanks Kathy…I really appreciate the feedback and the suggestion on 300 words per page. The mobile friendly is a challenge and so I am thinking I will most likely be moving over to another theme as this was not responsive design. Thanks again, Jason

JWK
    Up
    Berrigan Motel, post: 207344 wrote:
    I’m viewing on an ipad and the first 2 pages I’ve tried to use aren’t working properly for me. There’s a large panel on your home page that is just giving me a loading circle constantly. I almost didn’t notice that there was content under that blank section.

Then I went to the about us section as I wanted to see if it talked more about your qualifications and experience as your home page didn’t tell me anything. The about us page that I landed on also didn’t tell me anything about you and why I should choose you over another consultancy. I tried to select what appeared to be a link in the about us top navigation panel to view information about you but the drop down menu disapeared immediately upon clicking and I ended up on the same about us page (I think the “about us” is supposed to be a menu heading and I should be able to click about you or your associates or your value proposition but because the menu heading is also a link, there isn’t an opportunity to click any of the lower links).

I spent most of my corporate career in the non-profit sector. We did use consultants a lot because we couldn’t always afford or source a permanent employee for the projects we were running. But, in the organisations I worked for, a large majority of funding was from government and carried extensive reporting and compliance obligations. We needed to be able to show due diligence in our selection of staff, volunteers and consultants. The content I can currently view on your site does not provide me with any of the information I would require to be able to justify choosing your firm.

As other people have said, provide actual examples of your work and quantify your results – additional fundraising dollars raised, increase in staff satisfaction or customer retention following your training programs, etc. testimonials would be very beneficial. And make sure the site is mobile friendly. The executive team at my last workplace used ipads for the majority of our off site work. The beauty of tablets and smart phones is that the busy exec can search for things like new consultants while they’re sitting on the train, waiting for a meeting, watching tv, etc.

Thanks for the feedback! And I do need to move to a responsive design theme and get the content freshened up. Working on things and plan to get things improve in the coming month! Cheers, Jason

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.