Home – New Forums Starting your journey New online business – no sales

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi, I’ve just launched a new online business but I’m having difficulty getting any sales. I’ve actually had one sale but that was by a friend so I’m not sure if that counts. To those that have already started an e-commerce store, did it take a long time before you started seeing sales? I know this is a general question (and it depends on the product you sell) so I’m just interested to hear what others experienced and if you have any great marketing tips.

Thanks,
    Nadia
    http://www.ecoavenue.com.au

JM dreams
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi Nadia,

I have any online business also http://www.jmgifts.com.au and it’s much the same, only a few sales a month. It’s a hobby for me as I work full time but I believe that for an online business to work you really have to spend a few hours getting the word out there with social media marketing every week!

StevenMelbourne
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Nadia,

Great website I’m sure with a bit of marketing you can do very well!

At this stage you need to think about how much marketing you want to do and how much you want to pay for it. Unless you have plenty of capital to splash around it is probably best to stick with the free methods of marketing:

1. Do you have a Facebook, Twitter page?
    2. Do you have a blog that has consistent new content?
    3. Do you post regularly on forums like this?
    4. Have you considered partnering with other websites or businesses to promote you product?
    5. Have you asked for customer reviews on your site and for you to be reviewed on other sites and do you reward customers for spreading the word about you?

Once you start seeing some cashflow you can play around with paid advertising:

1. Get your SEO higher so people can find you (EDIT: do not use fiverr as John suggested)
    2. Do targeted Pay per Click via Google or Facebook (expensive)
    3. Pay bloggers to cite your website
    4. Traditional advertising (TV, papers, radio)

I’m also starting a new website that’s helping new businesses set up customer rewards and referral programs for free and to enhance their online presence, it could work with your business so if you’re interested perhaps we can set up a partnership and help each other promote – feel free to shoot me email me on [email protected] and I can send some more info.

Cheers,
    Steven

Anonymous
    Up

Hi Steven. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I do have a facebook page and I am currently running a competition (like and share type of thing). I’m still struggling to get likes even with the offer of free products via a giveaway. I have opened a twitter account but I am yet to post. I’m also going to open an instagram account.

Your new website sounds great and it’s something I haven’t thought about before re: customer rewards/referrals.

I will email you.

Thank you,
    Nadia

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    StevenMelbourne, post: 188689 wrote:
    1. Get your SEO higher so people can find you – use fiverr.com as an initial cost effective method

Do that at your own peril! Many, many, many website owners have tried it, sometimes experiencing a very brief benefit in search engine rankings, but then found that they have been penalised by the search engines for using objectionable link building tactics.

How much quality SEO work do you think an intelligent, knowledgeable online marketer is going to do for you for $5???

Cheers,
    John

StevenMelbourne
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi John,

Completely agree – Fiverr can be a hit and miss – what SEO enhancement providers do you use and how much do they typically cost? Love to get your insight on this as I’m looking into this area soon for my website.

Cheers,
    Steven

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    StevenMelbourne, post: 188700 wrote:
    Hi John,

Completely agree – Fiverr can be a hit and miss – what SEO enhancement providers do you use and how much do they typically cost? Love to get your insight on this as I’m looking into this area soon for my website.

Cheers,
    Steven

Fiverr can be good for some things… getting a caricature made from a photo, or a voiceover recorded etc, where the end result can be fun, or thrown away if it turns out to be rubbish (which it often does!), but I’d never recommend anyone uses it for any type of work on a live website, especially any type of SEO that can potentially have thousands of dollars of negative repercussions. There’s just too much risk there.

I’ve not used a commercial SEO service for many years, so can’t really talk about current costs. Following the basic principles, and using some SEO research tools that are available for free, or for a reasonable cost online, has allowed me to achieve good results on a number of websites for myself and many of my clients.

You’ve already listed some of the best tactics in your original list. Some other ideas to consider, that can offer good results:

1/ Claim and actively manage your Google Local listing
    2/ If there is anything remotely newsworthy about your business, send out press releases.
    3/ Video marketing on Youtube / Vimeo etc (e.g. instructional videos)
    4/ Email newsletters to your existing prospects and clients
    5/ Ask existing clients to refer you
    6/ Pay a copywriter to write articles for you if you’re not a great writer
    7/ Make certain your website follows all the guidelines published by Google (SE friendly URLs, etc)

Cheers,
    John

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Coming from a potential customer pov – I think having a description of why I need the product would really help (on your overall category pages).

I clicked on Acai beads and I can see that they must be special in some way (are they like the teething necklaces?) but I don’t know why they are eco and why they are better than any other beads. If I then click on a particular necklace then I get all the information, which if it wasn’t for here I wouldn’t have done.I think a few sentences on the each overview page would go a long way and help with your SEO :)

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Well done, Sarah on pointing that out. Sometimes as business owners we forget that a website has to be about educating our potential customers on why they need us (products or services), as we already know that stuff. It’s much easier to review someone else’s website or other information than to get our own covering all the bases required.

Kathy

Anonymous
    Up

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate fresh eyes looking at it. I realised after I launched that I needed descriptions on each brand and when I started looking at SEO, I realised I also needed descriptions on each page. Any other feedback about my website is highly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Good luck JM Dreams.

Regards,
    Nadia

Sporty Dave
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi Nadia,

Good Looking Site.

There are a couple of things you can measure to find the “Glitch”. If you use Google Analytics, find out how many views your pages are getting.

If you are getting tonnes of views, but no carts or sales, you might want to focus on your on-page experience (More Product Info, review cart process, etc).

If you are not getting many lookers, then it’s time to hit the web.

1. You are in a highly competitive market. Regarding SEO and Marketing, work on one product or product line at a time and aim to move up the search results for your keywords bit by bit.

2. Go to where your customers hang out. In Australian Fair Trade and Eco-Forums. Get active in those forums as the expert in your field. Don’t go to sell, go to help, and make it a weekly habit.

3. Begin to Develop a Backlink Profile to Help your SEO efforts.

4. Write original content for your blog every week. Start with product reviews. Target keywords for your product and link back to your product.

5. Not all Social Media are created equal. Twitter is great for sports fans, for example, but will probably not help you much with Skin Care.

If you are going to use Facebook (which I found to be pretty useless in my e-commerce ventures), use it to start a Discussion or Group or Hippy-Organic-Tea Drinkers Club.

6. If you sell organic make up, consider doing some Youtube Product Reviews and Makeup Demos. They don’t have to be flashy, just friendly and believable.

You have a wonderful product. Hang in there. E-commerce is one of the most reliable ways to make money online… but it takes time.

Freebies rarely work for gaining a solid following and avoid gimmicks.

7. Google Help outs has a platform where you can offer free advice or help. You could offer your services there to help people within an area of your eco exptertise.

8. Speaking of Google, if it hasn’t been suggested already, set up a Google Places Page, Claim your listing and Post all your blog articles to it. Also join a couple of the Eco-related Communities and share their stuff around as well as your own.

Anonymous
    Up

Hi Dave

Thank you for replying. You’ve given me a lot to think about. I will definitely take all your suggestions on board and keep plugging away at improving my site and SEO. I haven’t heard of Google Places before so I will definitely take a look at that.

Thanks again,
    Nadia

Sporty Dave
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

No problem, Nadia.

Google Places offers some excellent exposure for your brand if you set it up correctly.

Here is an example of what you can achieve: Type in to Google.com, “luxury desert homes”, and take a look at the first organic result and the delicious Map/Business Listing on the right.

Pretty sweet, eh?

If you need any help with Google Places, give me a shout and I will be happy to help you if I can, Gratis.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.