Home – New Forums Starting your journey New Online Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    55maddness
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hello, I am looking into starting up an online business, but this is all very new to me and i have no idea where to start and what i need to do. can anyone out there help me and advise what steps and actions i need to take.

Thankyou for all your help

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

First step is marketing.

Worry about the technical side last.

If you’ve already done the marketing side, tell us about it, and we’ll be able to tell recommend you the best technology.

avallach
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Actually, first step may well be to decide what the business is :)

The way the original post is worded, it could be interpreted as meaning there is a desire to start an as yet undetermined “online business” of some sort.

With the sheer volume of “opportunities” out there, I would also wonder if the thinking is towards one of the many “home-based business” options, or something else.

55maddness may well have the actual business mapped out and is ready to put it online; that fact is not obvious though.

55maddness
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I have an idea about doing basically an online boutique for gifts and hampers. my idea is to base this to a large variety of clientelle i am thinking both professionals and everyday people. i would certainly be starting off form working at home. i just dont know where to start, like the legal side with abn’s and everything. an then everything else i am very new to all this and i need as much help as possible i greatly appreciate any help people can offer. like how do you go about setting up an online business

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Madness,

I’d test the market first by doing some sales over ebay.
    If you have no interest at all – make some changes and try again or think of a new idea.

ebay is a great way to do market research.

best of luck

JohnSheppard
    Up

I’m no marketing expert, but my advice is to look at your competition and study them. What you offer is nothing new (at least it doesn’t sound new to me). So copy an existing model that works.

Then once you have copied the working model, you can make the changes necessary that you think would improve on their model.

If you are going to offer something new, the alternative is to look for something where no competition exists, and that will change the way you do everything.

55maddness, post: 26981 wrote:
    i am thinking both professionals and everyday people.

You will need to narrow your market down further. Selling to professionals and every day people is difficult to do at the same time.

For example, how would you create an advert that attracts both people? and how would you get the most margin out of them?

A professional will pay more and expect more sevice. An ‘everyday’ person, will pay less and expect less service. You can’t provide both services at once unless you wish to go mad.

Anyway, my 2 cents…

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi
    Good for you for having an idea and wanting to do something about it. Here are my suggestions (some you may have already done)

1. Decide on type of business – type of products, target market etc – in as much detail as you can.
    2. Market research – find out what people want, have you picked the right target market, how much would they pay, check out competition, look at what is successful overseas etc, you can do great free surveys via surveymonkey.com
    3. Budget – look at all the costs involved – website, marketing, equipment, products etc. Put together a pricing template and look at how much you would be able to buy your products for and how much profit you are going to be able to make. Also work out your essential living costs – what do you need to make each week to pay your basic bills if it takes a while for the business to take off?
    4. Once you have done your research and budget, if the idea still looks viable then start your serious planning. Come up with a business name, register your website domain, start sourcing suppliers and products, register for an ABN, register your business name.

Have a look at our online course outline here http://www.theideasbook.com.au/downloads/Online%203%20Month%20Business%20Launch%20Course.pdf as it will give you a good idea of the different stages you will need to consider.

Hope that helps.

55maddness, post: 26981 wrote:
    I have an idea about doing basically an online boutique for gifts and hampers. my idea is to base this to a large variety of clientelle i am thinking both professionals and everyday people. i would certainly be starting off form working at home. i just dont know where to start, like the legal side with abn’s and everything. an then everything else i am very new to all this and i need as much help as possible i greatly appreciate any help people can offer. like how do you go about setting up an online business
    spottydog
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    john.sheppard, post: 26975 wrote:
    First step is marketing.

If you’ve already done the marketing side, tell us about it, and we’ll be able to tell recommend you the best technology.

I would say marketing is the last step. You can’t “market” something that doesn’t exist.
    Personally, I would just get it up and running. If you are working from home start up costs are low.
    Register a Business Name, get an ABN, and register a Domain Name. These 3 things cost very little in terms of both time and money, so if decide not to proceed you haven’t lost a great deal.
    Once you have these in place, the rest can follow at your pace.

Well that’s my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
    Iain

spottydog
    Up
    ray_223, post: 26982 wrote:
    Hi Madness,

I’d test the market first by doing some sales over ebay.
    If you have no interest at all – make some changes and try again or think of a new idea.

ebay is a great way to do market research.

best of luck

To ray_223, I have found the exact opposite.
    When I first started my business, I had absolutely no interest from ebay’ers.
    My experience has been that those on ebay are only looking for a bargain.
    And here I am 10 years later, still in business.
    I only mention this as I don’t necessarily think ebay is a great way to do market research. Well not for my line of work/products anyway.

Cheers
    Iain

JohnSheppard
    Up
    spottydog, post: 27098 wrote:
    I would say marketing is the last step. You can’t “market” something that doesn’t exist.
    Personally, I would just get it up and running. If you are working from home start up costs are low.
    Once you have these in place, the rest can follow at your pace.

Hi Ian,

I think you are mixing up marketing with sales. Marketing doesn’t really have anything to do with selling anything. It’s is about positioning your product correctly.

Say you were a young male, look for a girl. Marketing is deciding where to go to pick up and what is required in that place to perform successfully. It is not the act of going out and actually picking up.

For example, a healthy young Christian lad would not do well in an industrial goth night club and he would either have to change his product (his hair do), or change his positioning (go to church instead)…..that is marketing…

The market will determine how the product is presented and made…and it has to be done first if you want to do well…

I would also agree you can’t sell anything that doesn’t exist…

spottydog, post: 27098 wrote:
    Register a Business Name, get an ABN, and register a Domain Name. These 3 things cost very little in terms of both time and money, so if decide not to proceed you haven’t lost a great deal.

The act of setting them up without any thought doesn’t cost much up front….changing them 6 months down the track costs a FORTUNE….you’ve just thrown out 6 months work….~$25,000….so get your marketing done right first…it’s easier to change your product to fit the market than your whole business…

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hello 55Maddness

Ideas Book just about nails it…basically do 101 business plan, and the marketing plan will drive most of what you will do in the rest of the plan. As John Shepard said marketing is the 1st step it will verify if your idea is ago. It doesn’t need to be war and piece.

There is plenty on the net regarding marketing and at the library. When I have an idea I am working on, I buy one of those school books a 64 pager for 50 cents and use that to capture stuff running through my head or what I have read, idea etc. I got the idea from Richard Branson good for him good for me.

Cheers

Steven

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    gillian2009, post: 0 wrote:
    Actually, starting a new business online is really a huge work but in time you’ll get huge money. Getting a huge money will mean that your business is on the right track.
    how to start it, you need to check the market, look what products that are high demand but few who are marketing it. IT is better to start a business who have a few competitor because it is easier for you to get to the top. BE clever enough to use your money in doing a new online business.

Hi Gillian,

I don’t think anyone can guarentee “huge money” for any internet bsuiness (or any type of business), even if you spend a long time developing it. I believe there is always some form of luck involved. Good decisions and hard work just increase your chance of success.

Chosing a niche market is a good suggestion as it can help you success rate, but the total size of your business is limited to the size of the niche.

spottydog
    Up
    john.sheppard, post: 27106 wrote:
    Hi Ian,

I think you are mixing up marketing with sales. Marketing doesn’t really have anything to do with selling anything. It’s is about positioning your product correctly.

Say you were a young male, look for a girl. Marketing is deciding where to go to pick up and what is required in that place to perform successfully. It is not the act of going out and actually picking up.

For example, a healthy young Christian lad would not do well in an industrial goth night club and he would either have to change his product (his hair do), or change his positioning (go to church instead)…..that is marketing…

The market will determine how the product is presented and made…and it has to be done first if you want to do well…

I would also agree you can’t sell anything that doesn’t exist…

The act of setting them up without any thought doesn’t cost much up front….changing them 6 months down the track costs a FORTUNE….you’ve just thrown out 6 months work….~$25,000….so get your marketing done right first…it’s easier to change your product to fit the market than your whole business…

Hi John.
    Excuse my confusion.
    It appears there are two definitions of marketing according to The Marketing Assoc of Aust & New Zealand. An Aussie definition and an American definition.

Aussie def: is the management process responsible for identifying, anticipating and satisfying consumers’ requirements profitably.

US def: is the process of planning and executing the conception, pricing, promotion, and distribution of ideas, goods, and services to create exchanges that satisfy individual and organisational goals.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

As covered previously, the actually steps involved in starting an online business from home (from a legal perspective) is …
    – Register and ABN
    – Register a business name
    – Build / Host your website.

There is however a lot more involved. You will need to find wholesalers of your product, decide on your product range, set a market friendly price, organise which courier you will use to deliver your hampers, find ways to market yourself to your potential clients …

There are experts in all these fields who can do the ground work for you. It’s up to you whether you would prefer to go it alone and do all the work yourself on bring in an outsider to help out.

mybusinesshelp
    • Total posts: 128
    Up

Yes, marketing IS very important. You can have the best business or product in the world but without marketing it – no sales!

Check out this article on Marketing for Start Up Business to help you get started.

All the best!

Amanda

john.sheppard, post: 26975 wrote:
    First step is marketing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.