Home – New Forums Starting your journey New product – need casual or shared workshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aleksey
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I have the idea of a new woodworking product and have made a couple of items at home.
    Next I want to start the patent application and put the product at some marketplace like e-bay or etsy.
    As I don’t know the possible demand then I cannot rent the workshop at permanent basis.
    Doing it at rented home is somewhat risky as the tools are noisy and I use the lacquer finish that is smelly at least for one hour.
    So I need some place where I can be noisy and smelly without fearing to be expelled.
    It would be nice to be able to rent small or shared workshop casually, for example 10 ~ 20 sqm for 1 ~ 3 days a week.
    I have my own tools, in fact I need only one workplace and some area to dry the things that are already coated with finish.
    Any ideas are welcome.
    I am now in Sydney and also can consider Adelaide if it will be cheaper to rent there.
    Also perhaps I can do this product together with somebody who already has workshop.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Aleksey,

If you can put up with other peoples noise then some room in another businesses workshop would be perfect. As for the smell you can batch your jobs and do them once a week on saturday or sunday when no one else is around.

There are many commercial / light industrial areas around sydney.
    Look in gumtree for someone looking to let some space, or better place your add in gumtree with what your after.

Steve

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Aleksey,

Welcome to Flying Solo! Some good suggestions from Steve already, so just want to wish you the best of luck with your new product. :)

Dave

ShannonW
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I’m interested in this question from the perspective of someone who is looking to start her own manufacturing business, but wants to purchase a workshop and sub-let areas of it to others. Does anyone have experience in this area? How do you handle the legalities, e.g. insurance, security, payment of utilities, when space is shared?

pbl136
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ShannonW, post: 192924, member: 58445 wrote:
    I’m interested in this question from the perspective of someone who is looking to start her own manufacturing business, but wants to purchase a workshop and sub-let areas of it to others. Does anyone have experience in this area? How do you handle the legalities, e.g. insurance, security, payment of utilities, when space is shared?

Hi ShannonW I’m wondewring how you went with this concept ? I have access to some space in Milton, Brisbane that feel would be suitable for a similar concept . It could realistically support 10 x 30 sqm individual spaces I’m looking for any comments on what the demand is like , where the price point for rent might be etc ?

Ryinth
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

Have you tried looking for local “maker spaces”?

pbl136
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    Ryinth, post: 213853, member: 64622 wrote:
    Have you tried looking for local “maker spaces”?
    I hadn’t . thank you
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.