Home – New Forums Selling online New Review of my Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Averil Quinn
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

I created my new website 7 months ago now. Have completed a lot of changes recently including improving photos, content etc. Would really appreciate some constructive feedback. Not getting enough sales on this site. All of my sales so far have been through buy sell and swap or Afterpay Facebook Pages. Would really love to be having more sales as this would give me more choice about where I choose to trade at weekends etc. I have paid for 3 adds/competitions and this has created a lot of activity and interest in my business page but no sales directly.

my website address is http://www.averilsnaturalskincare.com.au

Thank you in Advance

Averil Quinn

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I really hate white backgrounds, they burn my eyes, but nearly every skin care and cosmetic site uses that so I will let that pass. A problem is that the products I looked at have white containers on a white background. You need a better photographer to bring out the product image.

Anyway, the first thing that strikes me is that if you are selling products that are ‘Hand made with love in Australia’ then as a potential customer I would like to see a site that is more ‘personal’, or at least has personality. At the moment your site looks like any other shopify site selling the same sort of products.
    How are your products different? what do you have to offer that no-one else has? It is so generic, and that makes it very difficult to market.

Your descriptions have good use of descriptive and emotive words – use that technique on your home page. Use a text box either above or below your ‘Featured Collection’ and tell people why they want to buy your products.

Your FB page has too many ads and not enough informational posts. The link to the article about baby chimps being taken from the wild is good (if it is true, I didn’t check). Articles and info are great ways to get your name remembered and keep people interested.

Hope this helps.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

One word – Boring.

The other thing as a customer who pays full payment at time of purchase, i look at your use of Afterpay ”or make 4 interest-free payments of $2.50 AUD fortnightly with Afterpay”. Sure it’s great for those who can’t afford $10.00, and my question is should they really be buying this. But more importantly, if they are not paying interest, then you (Averil), are paying some of those costs, therefore I as a full paying customer am paying for the privilege of Joe Blow getting interest free on a $10 product. Because you are obviously passing those costs onto all of your clients, rather then those who choose to use the service. Sure I can understand it for a far more expensive product, for the products you are selling. I think this has convinced me to boycott any small value business’s offering afterpay, as I would rather be paying $9.70 for the product then helping Joe Blow with a free ride.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

Hi Averil,

A couple of tips, maybe a FAQ page to define the contents of your products, eg. SLS, the longer a user stays on your site the more chance you have of selling an item, educate your buyers.

A call to action, why would I purchase your product and not something from the supermarket, create a unique point of difference, entice me to buy.

You could improve the pictures of your product too.

Keep us posted.

Cheers
    Corey

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Averil,
    You have jumped into an extremely competitive market. I saw one set of Australian natural skin care market stats that suggested only 10% of the $multi-million market was supplied online.

In this environment, many of your competitors have huge budgets and highly skilled marketing / online support staff.

How do you propose to compete with all these highly resourced online/offline brands? The issues are much too deep and complex for any small business forum like FS to address.

If you are going to succeed it will likely be because you manage to carve out some tiny sliver of the overall online market. Do you know how to do this?

Right now it seems you are nowhere. Even your Terms of Service indicate you are out of your depth. Here is what they say…

SECTION 18 – GOVERNING LAW
    These Terms of Service and any separate agreements whereby we provide you Services shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of 57a Springfield Road, EAST GOSFORD New South Wales AU 2250.”

Gosford, NSW has no laws or legal standing to administer your Terms of Service.

Get some professional advice, URGENTLY!

I hate to be negative but sometimes folk need to confront “crunch time”. Your independent adviser may tell you your best course is to close the business before you spend more money.

(PS. Do you have Google Analytics installed on you site? Where is your site traffic coming from? How much of it is there?)

Averil Quinn
    Up

Wow ok thanks for your feedback. There is no problem and I have no intention of closing my business which grows each year. Pretty sure that section 18 simply means the laws of NSW. It just needs a little editing. But thank you.

Averil Quinn
    Up
    bb1, post: 260676, member: 53375 wrote:
    One word – Boring.

The other thing as a customer who pays full payment at time of purchase, i look at your use of Afterpay ”or make 4 interest-free payments of $2.50 AUD fortnightly with Afterpay”. Sure it’s great for those who can’t afford $10.00, and my question is should they really be buying this. But more importantly, if they are not paying interest, then you (Averil), are paying some of those costs, therefore I as a full paying customer am paying for the privilege of Joe Blow getting interest free on a $10 product. Because you are obviously passing those costs onto all of your clients, rather then those who choose to use the service. Sure I can understand it for a far more expensive product, for the products you are selling. I think this has convinced me to boycott any small value business’s offering afterpay, as I would rather be paying $9.70 for the product then helping Joe Blow with a free ride.
    Thank you for your feedback. I don’t however, pass any costs on to customer for providing these afterpay services. I absorb these costs so that I keep getin sales.

MarketingAnt
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

i don’t anything wrong with dipping your toes into this market at all. However, make sure you use a copywriter or someone who writes advertising to tell the entire story. On my men’s grooming store and on my men’s natural spray product landing page here, i tell the story as much as possible. It’s a good way to work your niche, and to differentiate yourself from the other players in the market.
    all the best and keep us informed!

Hassle Free Website
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    Averil Quinn, post: 260672, member: 45376 wrote:
    Have completed a lot of changes recently including improving photos, content etc.

Averil Quinn

How do you know people want to buy your product?

Averil Quinn
    Up
    Hassle Free Website, post: 261476, member: 105019 wrote:
    How do you know people want to buy your product?

Hello, I know because it has sold well for years at markets and is starting to sell more on my website. Regards Averil Quinn

Hassle Free Website
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    Averil Quinn, post: 261659, member: 45376 wrote:
    Hello, I know because it has sold well for years at markets and is starting to sell more on my website. Regards Averil Quinn

That’s the key there, understanding why they want to buy it then use that approach in the website.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

I have been absent on this page for a long time…
    I don’t like white packaging on white background. The about page, sorry I don’t like the photo. More photos of people please! Photos of you making cosmetics. I know many people here selling skincare at markets and yes it is very competitive. Maybe you could offer some workshops how to make your own skincare?

storyxl
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    JohnW, post: 260754, member: 6375 wrote:
    Hi Averil,
    You have jumped into an extremely competitive market. I saw one set of Australian natural skin care market stats that suggested only 10% of the $multi-million market was supplied online.

In this environment, many of your competitors have huge budgets and highly skilled marketing / online support staff.

How do you propose to compete with all these highly resourced online/offline brands? The issues are much too deep and complex for any small business forum like FS to address.

If you are going to succeed it will likely be because you manage to carve out some tiny sliver of the overall online market. Do you know how to do this?

Right now it seems you are nowhere. Even your Terms of Service indicate you are out of your depth. Here is what they say…

SECTION 18 – GOVERNING LAW
    These Terms of Service and any separate agreements whereby we provide you Services shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of 57a Springfield Road, EAST GOSFORD New South Wales AU 2250.”

Gosford, NSW has no laws or legal standing to administer your Terms of Service.

Get some professional advice, URGENTLY!

I hate to be negative but sometimes folk need to confront “crunch time”. Your independent adviser may tell you your best course is to close the business before you spend more money.

(PS. Do you have Google Analytics installed on you site? Where is your site traffic coming from? How much of it is there?)
    Are you Always this nice and helpful to others

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

– The product photos are quite inconsistent.
    – Website is so clearly powered by Shopify due to the collection, style of the website as well as the obvious “powered by Shopify” text at the footer.

businesstrade.com.aubuy or sell a business
    samwood
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

It is great to have featured products but I find it a bit overwhelming. That’s the first thing that draws my attention and is a bit of a hard sell without knowing what you’re all about. I suggest having a paragraph about the passion behind it and why you’re different. Good Luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.