Home – New Forums Other discussions New Scam?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JohnK
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    I received a call from a withheld number this morning, the caller identified himself as “Ryan” from Google and they had a number of positions available on Google’s “front page”.

To my knowledge, Google does not have an office in Australia and does not solicit for advertising by phone.

I’ve lodged a report with ScamWatch but I thought I should warn other business owners to be wary.

Cheers, John

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Yeah, good nose. That’s some sh*t hidin’ in mudcake.

JohnK
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Jexley,
    Love that description, although I need to clean my screen and keyboard now, ’cause their covered in coffee!!! ;)

Cheers, John

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Ha, good to hear. I just made that one up too, I plan on using it from now on.

Maybe it’s an April Fool’s joke a day or two late? Heck, it’s still close to the 1st back in the States isn’t it? Oh, he was Australian though right? Hmmm.

Yep, scam. Though, to my knowledge Google does have an office in Sydney, and it’s poshity-posh-posh too, with a pool table in the main conference room and an on-site masseur. Who does that? Good ol’ Googs. Mostly I know about this because they I sent them my CV. Twice. Heh.

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

I think there are people setting themselves up reselling Google Adwords… I’ve had a few people contact me about this and when I get to more detail, that’s what they’re doing.

Melissa

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I havethe same experience as Missie K – I too have received a few calls with people setup to sell Google Adwords.

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

Google DOES have offices in Australia. Several hundred people working out of offices in Sydney.

I suspect, however, that Karen and Melissa are right and this wasn’t actually Google but a company that does adwords … are you positive he said he was from Google? Or did he just say it in a round about way that lead you to believe that he was from Google? Some people try and be sneaky like that … which is very dishonest and poor form, but that’s people for you!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Leela,
    re ‘Or did he just say it in a round about way that lead you to believe that he was from Google?’ – I believe that they just led me to believe they were from Google. My experience was both from a male and a female caller. They kept mentioning putting me at the top of Google Adwords throughout the short conversation if I signed up with them.
    Cheers, Karen

relentless
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

if they can’t make it clear exactly what they are doing then it would mean they have something to hide and thus they are probably a scam.

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up
    Jexley, post: 5513 wrote:
    Though, to my knowledge Google does have an office in Sydney, and it’s poshity-posh-posh too, with a pool table in the main conference room and an on-site masseur. Who does that? Good ol’ Googs.

Quote:
    Sigh………. ahh to work for Google. Hell, just gimme a couple hundred shares LOL

As far as I can tell they are located in the IBM building near Darling Harbour.

Walked past the building recently and had to stop and eye off the several floors the server rooms took up.

Droooool ;)

Good gawd – my geek is showing! hehehe

Heidi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.