Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New & scared to take the plunge!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    nadialouise
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi there :) I’ve been lurking around for a little while and reading every scrap of anything I can find as I’m hoping to turn my small, after-hours photography business into a full or part-time job.
    I am currently 24, living in Melbourne, and working full-time in an office. My title – Data Entry Clerk, for a logistics company providing warehousing/distribution to a prestige car company. Ugh.
    But of course, the pay is good, it’s “safe”, and all that boring stuff. I am so miserable here that it occasionally makes me a little sick (heartburn, headaches, having tearies in the toilets)… But again. Safe. Good money. I’m always able to save and budget well. I have an existing loan, and am paying off my camera, blah blah blah.
    I have recently had a heap of personal issues come up and it’s resulted in me having to move back with my mum, and I have a sick family member that needs support, and I really cannot juggle everything anymore. Plus my photo work is really taking off, I’ve missed 2 jobs in the past week because I’ve had to be at my day job, my client list is building, I’m bringing in a bit of money and my reputation is growing. I have pretty good potential but I can’t bloom while I am still working here. It’s just… terrifying! This website has just made me realise more and more that I need to do this… and while I’m not paying rent, I think the timing is kinda perfect…

Any words of encouragement (or warning) would be hugely appreciated, as I think I just need more of a push, or if I should wait it out, I should probably be told that too! Keep in mind if I wait for my loan to be paid out, I’ll be waiting until I’m about 30!

Well that’s enough rambling on! Hope to get to know you all and share tips! :)

Nadia

Jeremy
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hi Nadia,

Welcome to FS!

Completely understand where you are coming from and I know it’s difficult.

You work 40 hours a week for someone else and hate it but when you work for yourself in something that you have a passion for, the time flies because you are enjoying yourself.

I say take the plunge while your outgoings are quite low but promote, promote and promote some more. Get your name out there, create a website, advertise on your car and so on… The more your name is out there, (hopefully) the more business you will get which means you may never have to go back to ‘working for the man’!

Believe in yourself and set goals for where you want to be in the future and attempt to reach those goals through your photography business.

If you have some cash behind you when you start flying solo, that will help as well…

If worst case you need to go back to work, you’ve got your prior experience to fall back on…

You’re only young so you’ve got your whole life ahead of you!

Keito11
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hey Nadia. Good luck with it. I think it would be fantastic to follow your artistic passions and turn it into a career. My advice would be that if that’s what you decide to do, you should really set your sites on being successful, set yourself some measurable goals to work towards them. For example… By December 1st I have done 30 paid jobs or something like that. It is important that the goals you set are measurable (ie Not I am successful, but I have done 30 paid jobs), they have a by when (by december 1st) and they are positive, like you have already done them (I am or I have, not I want to or I am going to).

Also I would recommend really not forgetting you’re running a business and treating it as such. Don’t just think of it as earning money from your art. Being a successful artist and a successful business person are two very different things. Educate yourself in the areas of business your not familiar with, eg taxation, finance, marketing, etc.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Nadia,

I read a book years ago and have reread it several times since it called
    ‘Even Eagles Need A Push’ the author David McNally

Young eagles do not learn to fly until they are pushed out of their safe nest. Until they learn to soar, they do not discover the privilege it is to have been born an eagle.

Your ready to FLY

Just take a deep breath and do what your heart is telling you to do leave that safe nest.

Good luck, but somehow I dont think you need it.

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

You are certainly at a cross roads, and the fact that work is holding you back from your own business is a good sign that it is now time to take that leap!

Think about it this way.. how many hours do you spend on your business now? maybe 10-15 hours a week – and that is in your ‘spare’ time.. ? Imagine you could spend the 40 hours you waste at work, and focus them on growing and establishing your business.. the possibilities are endless.

Don’t let your fear of failure hold you back, you are still young, seemingly have low financial responsibilities, such as kids or a mortgage.. so what have you got to lose?!

Go for it.. !

FinSpec
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

Hey there,

Sounds like you’re making what could be a very good decision for yourself. A few positive things that I can pick up on:
    1. you’re pasionate about what you’re going to be doing, and that will make you the envy of so many
    2. you can make money from it, and it sounds like your prospects are great
    3. living at home, and being as young as you are, means that the timing is GREAT for you to get out there and give it a go. It’s not like you have a massive mortgage, 5 kids to support, car loans etc. So, it won’t get any better, make it work now while you’re not really risking much.
    Things to keep in mind:
    1. make sure you have a good decision making process – you’re running a business, therefore earning a profit.
    2. keep good records, otherwise you’ll end up spending more time sorting out your mess than focusing on what’s imporant.

Most importantly,

Have fun, smile lots, and have a blast of a time!

nadialouise
    Up
    exstatic, post: 11791 wrote:
    You are certainly at a cross roads, and the fact that work is holding you back from your own business is a good sign that it is now time to take that leap!

Think about it this way.. how many hours do you spend on your business now? maybe 10-15 hours a week – and that is in your ‘spare’ time.. ? Imagine you could spend the 40 hours you waste at work, and focus them on growing and establishing your business.. the possibilities are endless.

Don’t let your fear of failure hold you back, you are still young, seemingly have low financial responsibilities, such as kids or a mortgage.. so what have you got to lose?!

Go for it.. !

First of all, thankyou so much for the advice – I have been thinking lately that I could do SO much in 40 hours. I shoot a lot of live music which means getting home at 1am a lot of the time, getting up at 6:30 – 7am to go to a boring job could be a thing of the past, just as an example! It’s so exciting to think about that, and I will be able to operate during “business hours” – ah, I can’t wait!
    Secondly – I went to school with you! hahaha. You wouldn’t know me I don’t think, but I’m friends with Pikles these days, and I remember your face. I was a 1-2 years below you guys. Talk about a small world.

nadialouise
    Up

Thankyou all SO much!!!
    This is all amazing advice, and my mind is made up.
    Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

xoxo

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Hey stick around and let us all know how you go, were family here

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Nadia, let me be the first to congratulate you on your big decision! Woooohooo! You are on your way!

If I could add to the advice already offered, I would say that this is not the time to act impulsively… please don’t go into work and resign tomorrow! Instead spend some time over the next few weeks working up your business plan, and once you’ve done that you’ll be in a good position to decide whether to chuck the job in now, or spend a few months in planning mode before you do. (Or even whether it’s worth trading your current full time job for a part-time one for a while).

You’ll find dozens of articles packed with helpful information on starting up and planning your business over here http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/a171896320.html, and of course, please feel free to post any questions you have on the forum, and I’m sure you will receive even more assistance.

To all you FS Forum regulars who jumped in so enthusiastically to support Nadia, I’ve got to tell you … you guys ROCK. I got a big case of the warm fuzzies reading all your posts, and it is generosity like yours that makes me love hanging out on these forums so much. As Leela would say “I heart you all” … Really looking forward to meeting some of you at FS Live in September :-)

Happy evening everyone,
    Jayne

nadialouise
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 11809 wrote:
    Nadia, let me be the first to congratulate you on your big decision! Woooohooo! You are on your way!

If I could add to the advice already offered, I would say that this is not the time to act impulsively… please don’t go into work and resign tomorrow! Instead spend some time over the next few weeks working up your business plan, and once you’ve done that you’ll be in a good position to decide whether to chuck the job in now, or spend a few months in planning mode before you do. (Or even whether it’s worth trading your current full time job for a part-time one for a while).

You’ll find dozens of articles packed with helpful information on starting up and planning your business over here http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/a171896320.html, and of course, please feel free to post any questions you have on the forum, and I’m sure you will receive even more assistance.

To all you FS Forum regulars who jumped in so enthusiastically to support Nadia, I’ve got to tell you … you guys ROCK. I got a big case of the warm fuzzies reading all your posts, and it is generosity like yours that makes me love hanging out on these forums so much. As Leela would say “I heart you all” … Really looking forward to meeting some of you at FS Live in September :-)

Happy evening everyone,
    Jayne

Thanks Jayne! :)

All of this advice is amazing, and it is all what I was hoping to hear. Every bit :)

I couldn’t resign tomorrow, no way! I’m thinking this time next month, once I have written up a plan and saved some more back up $$ !! :)
    So I think in about 6 weeks time (I will have to give two weeks notice), I will be ready. Hmmm, I wonder if my work ethic will change now! hehehe.

I know what you mean about the warm fuzzies too, wow!
    I think I’ll print all these responses – I’m so sentimental and I think today is one to remember!

xx

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Nadia

You’re really a breath of fresh air! You remind me of the rush I felt when I realised I could and *would* turn what I wanted to do into my own business. There’s nothing like it.

That was such great advice to do a bit of squirreling away before ditching the day job, but don’t wait (I typed want!) too long, eh?

Finally, I bet just the decision and knowledge that you’re going to be outta there will give you a pep in your step that you haven’t had in a while.

You’re on an awesome adventure so enjoy the ride!

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

You’ve got heaps of great advice here, something that I really value about this forum – quality advice from real life experience.

I know what you mean about not liking your job and wanting the security of the consistent income. Maybe there’s a bit of a transition solution for you with getting a job that you like better, in the field of your interests (photography or close to it, maybe graphic design) so you can learn things in that role while getting paid and maybe with less hours – say 20 – 30 hours a week for a year or 2?

This can still keep some security for you with a paid income, give you more industry experience and more hours to give your new baby business.

Whatever you do, have things setup before you change, before resigning, so you feel better about things.

Get talking and networking – online forums, industry groups, industry publications – ask for advice just as you have done here, saying what you want to achieve and what you need.

Remember, treat it as a business and you’ll have your freedom much longer than if it is a creative passion giving you an income. You can still have the passion, creativity and fun within a business and create yourself financial freedom rather than just financial security.

You can make it happen. :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.