Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New startup business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    online_tutor
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’ve got an idea for a small start-up business and I’m hoping through this forum I can get some ideas and clarification before I jump in paying legal, accounting fees etc. to test whether my business model is feasible.

I’ve had a browse through the posts and I’m overwhelmed by the range of forum discussions. I’m looking at facilitating educational tutoring online using overseas subcontractors to conduct the lessons so my main queries are concerning professional indemnity using foreign subcontractors, tax issues for very small business etc. If anyone can point me in the direction of similar discussions I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Interesting business idea, I would just be contacting insurance brokers for quotes on your business idea to begin with as this won’t cost you anything.

I would suggest that you get your business plan on paper and complete a feasibility study on your business idea.
    Then go to an accountant to discuss the tax implications. An accountant can take all your personal circumstances into account before giving you the answers you need.

online_tutor
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a niche identified and I’m confident there is a market for my service and I’m in the process of drawing up my business plan as we speak. The plan is small part-time while I continue working full time so keeping overheads and ongoing fees down is key to making it viable as I’ll be working on a small profit margin. Do you know what a lower end estimate is for a consultation with an accountant for a small business startup? I’ve read about completing tax returns on other threads and it seems like costs for that range upwards from around $750. I have the same question for legal consults; I’m not in a position to spend thousands on setup on legal alone.

Thanks once again for the quick and useful reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Try legalvision.com.au for legal info and accountants vary, see if you can find someone on this site via the directory.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Hi there,

I don’t have any legal advice regarding the setup of the business etc, but have you thought about investigating e-learning software in place of offshore tutors?

Without knowing the field I can’t say whether it’s an option or not, but something like Litmos (http://www.litmos.com/) which in a excellent learning management system can be used to set course literature etc and then test on completion.

This would let you write and manage your curriculum without the worry of QA on your offshore tutors.

Of course Litmos isn’t the only one out there, there are heaps more. (The most popular open source one is “Moodle” but that would take more setup time)

Maclean

Edit: Of course they also have payments built in as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.