Home – New Forums Other discussions New TLD (Top Level Domains) released.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #988607
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::

    Not sure where to fit it.

    But there are some domain name extensions that some of us might be interested in.

    Like:
    .pub for pubs
    .services for those who provide services like http://businesscoach.services etc.
    .vision like http://clear.vision for a glass company.

    Anyway go to your domain registrar and click on something like View More for sure they have them listed.

    #1168069
    PRO
    Member
    • Total posts: 450
    Up
    0
    ::

    .com and .com.au is so ingrained it is hard to tell how successful they will be.

    Saying that I have registered for the next round which includes . lawyers etc.

    #1168070
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::
    PRO, post: 194841 wrote:
    .com and .com.au is so ingrained it is hard to tell how successful they will be.

    Saying that I have registered for the next round which includes . lawyers etc.

    Very true Pro, it is more for those who missed out on the names.
    The short TLD’s are nice to, now lybia (ly) and the like require you to have a presence in their country before you are allowed to use those .ly domains, the bz, pw etc become more interesting :-). 061.bz has a nice ring to it.

    It is a commodity for us, not emotional attachment.

    #1168071
    PRO
    Member
    • Total posts: 450
    Up
    0
    ::

    We own dozens related to our area. I am a fan of having multiple domains and multiple sites.

    #1168072
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::
    PRO, post: 194873 wrote:
    We own dozens related to our area. I am a fan of having multiple domains and multiple sites.

    Same here :-)

    #1168073
    Rball
    Member
    • Total posts: 136
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’m inclined to believe for now they could work very well for shorter-term marketing campaigns with landing pages.

    #1168074
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rball, post: 194959 wrote:
    I’m inclined to believe for now they could work very well for shorter-term marketing campaigns with landing pages.

    Be for longer term mate, currently everybody is still stuck in the .com etc. However more and more will be phrase based. For example we have a lot of interest in the mobilenumber type domains. Like http://0411191192.com, 04111911912.phone etc.

    .com is still king, no doubt but it is changing. The other TLD’s are still new, but they have their place and be more than just a landing page or short-term campaigns.
    For example tamworthpub.com will be found but tamworth.pub will have a higher ranking when searching for a pub in tamworth…

    #1168075
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    help4bis.com, post: 194998 wrote:
    For example tamworthpub.com will be found but tamworth.pub will have a higher ranking when searching for a pub in tamworth…

    Why?

    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1168076
    PerfectNotes-Kathy
    Member
    • Total posts: 500
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,

    Well, TV infomercial programs have been using .tv addresses for ages. I don’t see why .pub and similar should be less memorable, or less useful. And it removes the ‘should I have a .com or .com.au site’ question….

    Kathy

    #1168077
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnW, post: 195019 wrote:
    Why?

    Regs,
    JohnW

    Simply by the word tamworth and the word pub in the domain name John.
    But you know that anyway.

    H

    #1168078
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    help4bis.com, post: 195313 wrote:
    Simply by the word tamworth and the word pub in the domain name John.
    But you know that anyway.

    Hi,
    No, I don’t know this! I’d be grateful if you can enlighten me.

    I’ve never seen anything from Google that says any one of these alternative domain names would score more “ranking points” than the other:

    • tamworthpub.com
    • tamworthpub.com.au
    • tamworth.pub

    In any case, there are perhaps over a thousand parameters that G uses to rank search phrases. Google downgraded the importance of search words in a domain name some time ago. Sure there is some ranking importance associated with search words in a domain name but in the scheme of things it is very minor.
    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1168079
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnW, post: 195320 wrote:
    Hi,
    No, I don’t know this! I’d be grateful if you can enlighten me.

    ………….
    Sure there is some ranking importance associated with search words in a domain name but in the scheme of things it is very minor.
    Regs,
    JohnW

    I think you just enlightened yourself…

    The fact that they are minor does not constitute to disregard them.

    #1168080
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    help4bis.com, post: 195336 wrote:
    I think you just enlightened yourself…

    The fact that they are minor does not constitute to disregard them.
    Hi,
    I’m still not enlightened…

    Let me repeat/clarify the question.

    Why would tamworth.pub rank higher than:

    • tamworthpub.com
    • tamworthpub.com.au

    PS: I note that the domain “gatepubtamworth” ranks #28 for the search phrase, “tamworth pub”.

    JohnW

    #1168081
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::

    This can go on for days. He said, She Said.

    I believe that when I search for tamworth pub it will rank higher in due cause.
    Using a domain like tamworth.pub is in my view more “catchy” than tamworthpub.com, it is also shorter and as such might be picked up in more “organic traffic” such as “I went to the tamworth pub last night” instead of “I went to the tamworth pub com last night”

    Taking all the things in consideration, like social media, age of domain etc etc. I think over time tamworth.pub will rank higher than tamworthpub.com.

    They might be minor, but still valid.
    The fact that gatepubtamworth ranks higher on the search of tamworth pub is currently due to the fact that no other of the domains are either aged or used I guess. So not sure if it is a valid comparison.

    Obviously you are way more experienced in this than I am, I am just learning by looking at what I perceive as logic.

    #1168082
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    help4bis.com, post: 195349 wrote:
    The fact that gatepubtamworth ranks higher on the search of tamworth pub is currently due to the fact that no other of the domains are either aged or used I guess. So not sure if it is a valid comparison.
    Actually, #28 is a very low ranking place for an uncompetitive search phrase like “tamworth pub”.

    One of the reasons the “gatepubtamworth” domain ranks so low is because the pub is in Staffordshire, UK. Its full domain is gatepubtamworth.co.uk. If you search for “tamworth pub uk”, it ranks #1.

    I would argue that if you use the “.pub” TLD instead of the country code (“.com.au”) TLD, you lose a very important geolocation ranking attribute that is far more important for relevant SE referrals.

    As you say, there are many factors involved in the ranking algorithm. I just don’t see these alternative TLDs offer that much value in targeting relevant SE ranking results.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.