Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New to business what title should i have?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    osman.tarrar
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

I’m starting eCommerce website, yet i’m the only one person in my business and i’m going to have business cards for me, so what title should i give to my self as a owner.

MancerCorp
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

It would depend what industry you are in as to the correct answer to this… but in all respects ‘Managing Director’ not only conveys trust to anyone you give a card to, as they know they are dealing with ‘the top link’ in the chain of command – the person the buck stop with, but it feels good on a personal level…. it does not matter that you are also the receptionist, accounts manager, the postal-boy/girl, the gopher and cleaner.

osman.tarrar
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

can i write coo? coz i’ve a senior person, right now we are just two?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    osman.tarrar, post: 237053, member: 83268 wrote:
    can i write coo? coz i’ve a senior person, right now we are just two?

It is your biz so you can have whatever title you want.

For the longest time, I never had a title at all on my business cards – so that approach is an alternative. I simply wanted people to have my name, number and the company name I was associated with.

So when you think about titles, the most important thing is to think about what you want to achieve through them.

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

I’m with Paul – for a long time I simply had no title. Things like ‘Director’ and COO etc are a little meaningless in small business these days. Better to focus on the company name on the card and a line telling the person exactly what you do for people (your tag line)

LukeHally
    • Total posts: 150
    Up

I think everyone has made good points! I had this dilemma when we started, we were only two people. In the end I went with what title suits my future vision of the business – and I didn’t want to be left half a box of cards when we scaled and I did need a title.

What’s the purpose of the card? Is it to remind people to go to your site and buy something? Do you even want customers calling you directly? Maybe you don’t even need your personal details on it?

If you do want/need your details on it, who are you giving the card to? I like everyone’s suggestions so far and would through in ‘owner’ or ‘founder’. If you are planning to scale, I’d go with CEO – you don’t want to change your title later and buy more cards before these ones run out!

I wrote a blog with business tips a while ago that might interest you: http://blog.dragonbill.com/small-business-payment/business-card-tips/

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

It all depends on the business really, just remember giving yourself a title of coo or CEO in the wrong type of business could also turn people off and think is that person for real,

Also what market are you trying to portray, if you are trying to sell yourself as a small business coo or CEO comes across too pompus, and could turn people who are really wanting to deal with a small business off.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

This topic comes up a bit around here, from memory, and what i find more interesting than the actual titles is the motivation behind wanting a title? Do you need one? Does your intended audience assess your job capabilities based on your title? and so forth…

Personally, i am not a fan of titles and this came from my corporate days… In those days, i HAD TO HAVE one as it was so confusing to find the most appropriate person to speak with and yet those that knew my title from the card had already found the person they needed to speak to almost making the title redundant – cos if i couldnt explain what i did in a short pitch, and memorable, i didnt deserve the business ;)

Anyways, what title are you leaning towards and what is your decision made on? Clients perception, your perception or other?

Look forward to hearing more..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

Titles like COO, CEO, CFO, CIO, CTO etc means that you have multiple departments in an organisation and staff reporting to you. If you use those titles for a small business it might convey to people that you are full of it, plus if your contacts don’t know what a COO is they will just be confused. If you list the members of staff on a website, then you need to show other executives or it just looks strange. COO also means that there must be a CEO.

For a two person operation you are better off just using no title, that way you don’t convey to anyone the wrong perception of what you can do. If it’s a business dealing with a lot of contracts, then Managing Director (Company), Managing Partner (partnership) or Owner/Manager (sole trader) is good as the person knows you have the authority to make contracts on behalf of the business. For tech companies, Founder is a good title.

MWLWeddings
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi, I’m in the same shoes – new e-commerce business. I’ve been running with Owner-Operator. My aim is to promote myself as a small business to keep things more personal. I have no intention of becoming a big corporation; and as I’m dealing with couples getting married, I don’t want to sound too unapproachable.
    Let us know what you decide on.

CoreMelt
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Director / Founder is my preferred nomenclature.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.