Home – New Forums Starting your journey New to domestic cleaning bussiness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ati
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,
    I’m 24 years old and want to start a small domestic cleaning business. At the moment I’m quite confused on where to get started but have done some research. I want to pretty much run the business myself with me being the cleaner as well, that way I can keep an eye on things. I know that in order for cleaners to step through the front door of any homes they need to have insurance or public liability.

Can anyone please shed the light on how much I would have to spend for a very small cleaning business ( 4-5 employees including me) ? Or what’s the compulsory things that I need to have to run the business?

Best regards to all :)

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Ati

While I cannot answer your question, we have a community member who is very knowledgeable within your industry. I’ll nudge him over to this thread.

Robert

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Happy to help you where I can

I have a lot of experience with this type of business – send me your details via the contact page on my website and I will be in touch.

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Ati

Yes you will definitely need insurance. The easiest thing to do is speak to an insurance broker who can advise you and get a quote.

You will also need workers compensation if you are employing people.

There are a number of things you need to consider when starting your business such as the best structure to operate from, applying for your ABN, getting insurance, understanding your obligations as an employer etc

I have a free small business start-up checklist on my website (you can click the link in my signature below) which may help guide you through some of the things you need to consider.

Good luck

Gabrielle

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up
    Ati, post: 189792 wrote:
    I’m 24 years old and want to start a small domestic cleaning business. At the moment I’m quite confused on where to get started but have done some research. I want to pretty much run the business myself with me being the cleaner as well, that way I can keep an eye on things. I know that in order for cleaners to step through the front door of any homes they need to have insurance or public liability.

Can anyone please shed the light on how much I would have to spend for a very small cleaning business ( 4-5 employees including me) ? Or what’s the compulsory things that I need to have to run the business?

Hi Ati,

Public Liability is not a compulsory cover (by law) but, as you mentioned, you will find it very hard to obtain work without it. The premium that you pay is determined by some of the following (which is not an exhaustive list):
    – Where you are located;
    – What you actually do (do you only clean houses or do you do maintenance etc as well);
    – Your annual turnover;
    – The number of people working for you;
    – The way these people work for you (are they contractors or employees);
    – Your industry experience (this matters for some insurers); and
    – The level of cover required ($5m / $10m / $20m).

Workers Compensation is required by law if you have ‘workers’ (either employees or contractors you are liable for). The premium is generally based on a % of the payments you make. In certain states (eg. NSW), the rates are set by the government and are standard across all insurers. In other states, however, policies are underwritten privately and may be different between insurers.

There are other covers that you should look at, but these will depend on your individual circumstances. As mentioned previously, if you talk to an insurance broker they should be able to obtain some premiums and provide you with advice.

Let me know if you have any questions or wish to clarify any of the above.

Regards,

Mark

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Domestic cleaning, cleaning houses, villas, units etc basically anyone can do it.
    However doing it as a business you need to do a few things first.
    Get an ABN. Organise a trading name or go as a sole trader using your own name. Buy some good equipment. Backpack vacuum cleaner, mop and bucket cloths and good detergents.
    Insurance is essential Product and Liability and if you employ anyone then you will also need workers comp. A Clean work vehicle and a nice looking uniform.
    If you have never cleaned before find a cleaner who you can go with for a day or so unpaid. Otherwise practise on your own quarters. Bathrooms are the most important areas in cleaning they not only have to look clean but they must be clean. You really need to be fussy in domestic cleaning because your customer will be extremely fussy and will complain if it dosent suit her standard.
    To help you understand how to start a business there is a book written by Peter Thorpe called “Successsecrets for your small business” its one of those books like “Flying Solo” which should be owned by anyone who is contemplating starting a business
    You need to get known so letterbox flyers and a regular small advert in the local newspapers trades section will eventually bring you customers locally and that’s all about saving money in travelling.

Setup costs are minimal so you really have nothing to loose.
    Alternative is to talk with a good accountant.

Ati
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thak you very much for all the great advice
    Much appreciated :)

tomwhite
    • Total posts: 51
    Up
    Ati, post: 189901 wrote:
    Thak you very much for all the great advice
    Much appreciated :)

I hope the plans for your cleaning business are going well. Public liability insurance is going to be essential to run your business properly, to pick up commercial contracts and be recommended by real estate agents (for exit cleaning etc – which can be a great way to pick-up bigger one-off cleaning jobs).

This useful guide, http://www.trustedcleaner.com.au/how-to-start-a-cleaning-business/, talks you through the process of setting up and starting your cleaning business.

Be interested to hear your progress and how you are getting on!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.