Home – New Forums Tell me straight… New website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

after dishing out one or two reviews here, it is now my turn to be on the receiving end. My new site is nearly ready to go live (need to add T&Cs, professional partners and do a final proofread), but I would love opinions – especially from the professional developers and designers

1. What needs reviewing?
    website http://blackcoffeecommunications.com.au/new/
    2. What does your business do?
    Business writing, comms strategy, comms project management, marcomms
    3. Who is your target market?
    SMEs who have a marketing budget and recognise the value of outsourcing to a professional
    4. What specific concerns do you have?
    There are a tonne of people offering similar services, but we don’t all suit all clients, so I want to ensure the reader has a good idea from my site what i am about, what my style is like and whether they would like to work with me. I also want to ensure the navigation is intuitive and the content is not too wordy.

The purpose of the site is not to be a sales funnel, but to give people an idea of what I offer, somewhere I can direct potential clients to. Some organic traffic would be nice, and I will do some work on the meta tags, on-page SEO etc, but it is not the main objective

Thanks in advance

(FYI – this is my old site: http://www.blackcoffeecommunications.com.au)

Nicole

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Nicole. A few odds and sods comments. Site looks good to me!

1. Black Coffee Blog – where you have this on your home page. Have it so the Title links to the blog itself

2. Click on the Contact tab above to claim your FREE initial consultation. I’d consider having this as a banner that automatically links to the said Contact US page – as well.

3. I’d consider a 1 or 2 line caption somewhere Front and mIddle on your home page summarising what you offer people. Just for those that are clicking on your site “organically”

4. Do you think it’s worth splitting out under “Services” the Business Writing part. Eg, Copy for websites, Flyers / Brochures, Presentations, etc?

Looks good to me otherwise. To the point, easy to read.

Good luck :)

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Overall I thought your website wasn’t too bad. The home page lacks a punch though, it’s a bit plain and the 3 columns of blog articles I don’t think work very well – too narrow. I would say, try a google font for your headings, that’ll bring a little elegance to your layout. – Phil.

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 126596 wrote:
    Overall I thought your website wasn’t too bad. The home page lacks a punch though, it’s a bit plain and the 3 columns of blog articles I don’t think work very well – too narrow. I would say, try a google font for your headings, that’ll bring a little elegance to your layout. – Phil.

Thanks for this, what’s a good font (I must admit I played it safe and stuck to verdana throughout)

And will see what I can do re the blogs – may be a little restricted by the template.

Thanks Michael for your input too…I really liked your suggestions, but again could be limited by the template – ie I would like the contact bar the blog heading to be hyperlinked, but can’t quite figure out how to do it!. I might get someone more technical than me to check it out. The website allows for both traditional wordpress format and a content composer – the lading page uses the latter and it isn’t that obvious how to hyperlink! Someone that knows HTML might be able to help :)

Cheers

Nicole

wickstim
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Nicole, you have received some great feedback thus far, here is my 2 cents worth.

I think your template looks really good, it has the 2 key components I look at when developing a site blue background, white content area, keeps it looking crisp and clean.

I agree with Spinninghill re the front and middle caption (or is “Welcome to Black Coffee Communication – where your message never sleeps” it? – if so I think it is great)

I find the page a bit ‘wordy’, but this may be the effect you are after.

Great navigation, to the point and easy to follow.

well done

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Really really like the feel of the new site, it’s a big step forward. Congratulations! :)

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Thanks James – I had no idea they were clickable links!

And, yes, re the wordy, wickstim. I do tend to blab on a bit (although I tell clients to cull, cull cull!). Will see how well I can edit my own words :)

thanks all – more feedback always welcome!

Cheers

Nicole

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Thanks webfunk,

I will definitely try and reduce the text – you’re not the first to mention it!

I noticed when I reduced the logo to fit it said I would lose transparency – I had no idea what that meant! Given I only have Microsoft paint, is is possible to change the size without losing the transparency or should I ask the designer to send me a png in the correct size?

I like the idea of the free consultation being clickable, but I have to figure out how to do it. The “content composer” doesn’t have the handy hyperlink tool that the classic wordpress composer has!

I would like the phone number bigger too, but not sure how to do this with the template…will see if I can get someone to help. Same with the social media icons and the search. This template is pretty customisable, but not sure about all this.

Thanks again everyone, all very valuable input!

Cheers

Nicole

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Thanks so much to both of you.

It does say the content composer is HTML compatible, but I only have a passing knowledge of HTML…but now I know how to create a link :)

Will check out pixlr and fix the logo too.

Cheers

Nicole

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    BlackCoffeeComms, post: 126601 wrote:
    Thanks for this, what’s a good font (I must admit I played it safe and stuck to verdana throughout)

And will see what I can do re the blogs – may be a little restricted by the template.

Thanks Michael for your input too…I really liked your suggestions, but again could be limited by the template – ie I would like the contact bar the blog heading to be hyperlinked, but can’t quite figure out how to do it!. I might get someone more technical than me to check it out. The website allows for both traditional wordpress format and a content composer – the lading page uses the latter and it isn’t that obvious how to hyperlink! Someone that knows HTML might be able to help :)

Cheers

Nicole

A good font is one that contrasts your regular body font. Also when selecting a font consider that it’ll become an integral part of your branding. 2 fonts is all you’ll ever need, one for copy and one for headings. This advice works for business cards, letter heads, all your printed mediums. Google has over 500 to select from and they’re really easy to implement. Be wary of complex fonts though, they don’t look that great at small sizes.

http://www.google.com/webfonts/

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi Nicole,

Looks a lot better than the old one :)

I wont repeat the other good advice here – most I would say has been mentioned.

BlackCoffeeComms, post: 126652 wrote:
    I would like the phone number bigger too, but not sure how to do this with the template…will see if I can get someone to help. Same with the social media icons and the search.

This advice assumes you can’t do it via your theme >>

1. You need to open your style.css file in your editor in WordPress.

2. Find this entry

#header-bar-message {
    float: left;
    font-size: 11px;
    color: white;
    }
    [/CODE]

3. Change the font size to your desired size.

4. Save and your done!

Increasing the size of the social media icons and the search bar is a different kettle of fish…[CODE]#header-bar-message {
    }
    [/CODE]

4. Save and your done!

Increasing the size of the social media icons and the search bar is a different kettle of fish…

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Thanks Matthew

I don’t think I can increase the font size via the theme, so will open the style.css and see how I go!

And will check out Google Fonts too. I’m very conservative when it comes to fonts – is simple, sans serif etc (hence the verdana throughout). But you are right, some contrast with the headings and text would be ideal – as long as they complement each other.

Thanks all again, this really is a fantastic place for feedback!

Cheers

Nicole

Edited for stupid question – if my text is sans serif, should my headings be serif??? I have vague recollections of being told that way back in my newspaper days…

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 126749 wrote:
    1. You need to open your style.css file in your editor in WordPress.

2. Find this entry

#header-bar-message {
    }
    [/CODE]

4. Save and your done!

So I have done this and it doesn’t seem to be working! Will keep at it.

Meanwwhile, I have changed the heading font and also added hyperlinks.

Still have a bit of housekeeping to go (logo etc), but I am happy to tell my web guy to make it live now.

Thanks all of you for your valuable input.

Cheers

Nicole[CODE]#header-bar-message {
    }
    [/CODE]

4. Save and your done!

So I have done this and it doesn’t seem to be working! Will keep at it.

Meanwwhile, I have changed the heading font and also added hyperlinks.

Still have a bit of housekeeping to go (logo etc), but I am happy to tell my web guy to make it live now.

Thanks all of you for your valuable input.

Cheers

Nicole

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Hi Nicole!

The new site is a massive improvement on the old. A few things (some of which have already been mentioned, sorry for doubling up):

• The three columns repeated twice is a little busy
    • I wonder about the relevance of the star? Would a speech bubble tie in with everything else a little better?
    • Have you changed the heading font as yet? I wasn’t sure as I’m coming into the convo a little late. I’d still say it could use a little more contrast, which brings me to my next point…
    • The body font is a little big for my liking. Depending on the age of your target market, I’d consider reducing the size slightly. It’d also help with the whole body/heading contrast issue too…

Just my two cents! :)

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Holy Moly – it corrupted BADLY on transfer. Fingers crossed the web guys can fix it, otherwise I will be calling on the WP pros here…

Gaaaah

Nicole

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.