Home – New Forums Tech talk New Website And Aged Domains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AnneB
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi all

I have a brand new website and am wondering if having two aged domains on 301 redirects to this new website will be of any benefit? Both aged domains are PR 3 and in the same niche but are not making any money and I want all of my marketing/money making efforts to be put into this new website.

Many thanks
    Anne

themot
    • Total posts: 150
    Up

Were those websites ranking for your desired terms? If yes 301 if not use them to backlink to your new site.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Anne,
    What you want is for links to your old website to be attributed to your new website.

The answer is to set up “301 redirects” to your new site. This should pass most of their old “link juice” to your new domain.

Don’t get too involved in “PR”. This numeric is pretty irrelevant these days. This is not to say links aren’t important, it is the “PR” metric that is pretty useless.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Anne! It’s Shane Walker here.

Redirecting an aged domain via 301 is a great idea and it does help in the rankings. What it does is that it passes all attributes of the old domain to the new domain that it is redirected to.

It does not matter whether the domain was in your niche or anything like it because 301 is a permanent redirect. I do it all the time to rank my sites. I quite often buy 8 to 13 year old domains and redirect them to my new sites, and it passes all its authority to the new domain.

Hope this is of help.

Regards,

JohnW
    Up
    Shane Walker, post: 124570 wrote:
    Redirecting an aged domain via 301 is a great idea and it does help in the rankings. What it does is that it passes all attributes of the old domain to the new domain that it is redirected to.

It does not matter whether the domain was in your niche or anything like it because 301 is a permanent redirect. I do it all the time to rank my sites. I quite often buy 8 to 13 year old domains and redirect them to my new sites, and it passes all its authority to the new domain.
    Hi Shane,
    I believe, “domain authority” is an SEO diagnostic tool construct.

As I understand it, “domain authority” is a number whose value differs based on which SEO software tool you are using. If G has it written into its algorithm, it does not appear to generate much influence.

What G seems to do is assess the value of a link from one individual web PAGE to another.

There are upward of 20 parameters that G uses to assess link values between PAGES and each parameter can have varying values. In other words, the value of a specifc link goes up and down based on the specific words used in a search phrase.

I’d be very cautious about buying old domain names and redirecting them to my site. What pages do these old domains have on them? If the pages have expired, won’t the domains rapidly become worthless?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

That’s a common SEO practice to pass link popularity and even Google recommends it for seamless transition.

JohnW
    Up
    Dr., post: 127101 wrote:
    That’s a common SEO practice to pass link popularity and even Google recommends it for seamless transition.
    The problem is that “link popularity” is transient. It can disappear fairly quickly.

If you read what G says carefully, 301 redirects do lose page rank. They are however the best tool you’ve got. :)
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.