Home – New Forums Tell me straight… New website- can I please get your feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    ::

Hi all

This is my next venture. Would love your honest opinions and feedback about the website:

http://www.chicklitbookcovers.com

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)

My website.

2. What does your business do?

It designs book covers for chick lit/ contemporary romance/ women’s literature.

3. Who is your target market?

3 buy personas:

PERSONA 1
    28-39
    Female
    Home mother
    2 years writing experience
    Chick Lit and Contemporary romance
    Married, 2 toddler kids
    USA, south location
    2-3 books written

PERSONA 2
    45-60
    Female
    Teacher/Retired
    5+ years writing experience
    Historical/Romance/Fantasy
    America- location
    3 to 4

PERSONA 3
    45-60
    Female
    Retired
    15+ years writing
    Fantasy Sci-Fi
    Married/Divorced
    USA- location
    3-4 books written

4. What specific concerns do you have?

Usability
    Navigation
    Not too overwhelming
    The right information provided first
    Design and layout

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi Scarlett,

Nice work launching the new venture.

I am out and about at the moment, and looked at the site on a phone.

The site is not mobile responsive and this is quite hard to get a gist of what you do. I think it’s vital for all new websites to be mobile responsive.

Cheers,

Matt :)

ScarlettR
    Up

Hi Matt,

That’s a really good point. When it comes to it being responsive, I’m a little bit lost as to how to convert it for mobile use. What can you recommend?

Healthy Personal Finances
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Hi Scarlett

I just had a quick look and I would have issues with the font.
    There seems to be various different types of font styles, sizes and colors and I find some of it very hard to quickly and easily read.
    Basically, if I can’t do a quick skim of a website and get the point in the first 30 seconds of what they do, then anybody has lost me.
    Yep – some customers are like me and just lazy (I like to think of myself as busy !!)
    I love that you have a portfolio on there and listed the packages and marked what you get and what is different in each package.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Stacey

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 172453 wrote:
    Hi all

This is my next venture. Would love your honest opinions and feedback about the website:

http://www.chicklitbookcovers.com

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)

My website.

2. What does your business do?

It designs book covers for chick lit/ contemporary romance/ women’s literature.

3. Who is your target market?

3 buy personas:

PERSONA 1
    28-39
    Female
    Home mother
    2 years writing experience
    Chick Lit and Contemporary romance
    Married, 2 toddler kids
    USA, south location
    2-3 books written

PERSONA 2
    45-60
    Female
    Teacher/Retired
    5+ years writing experience
    Historical/Romance/Fantasy
    America- location
    3 to 4

PERSONA 3
    45-60
    Female
    Retired
    15+ years writing
    Fantasy Sci-Fi
    Married/Divorced
    USA- location
    3-4 books written

4. What specific concerns do you have?

Usability
    Navigation
    Not too overwhelming
    The right information provided first
    Design and layout

Hi Scarlett

Congrats!!

Overall, the site achieves well (although stats will tell the true story).

I’m going to take a slightly different tack to other people who will give you there advice to maybe address a couple of things that I see could be tweaked.

1. your pricing:

a. 3 choices is great. 4 choices can cause paralysis. Try to remove one choice.
    b. your pricing isn’t consistent. Try to make it consistent. e.g. 449, 559, 929. I’ve got a bit about pricing on my blog, so you can read more about this there rather than me going into why and how.

2. 98% of the people who come to your site will leave. They might not be ready to buy yet, they might be in investigation mode. Put up on optin-box to your email list and grab them and pop them on your email. Then when they are ready to purchase, as long as you have been emailing regular content that is suitable for them, they’ll buy from you.

HOpe this helps.

Jenny

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 172468 wrote:
    Hi Matt,

That’s a really good point. When it comes to it being responsive, I’m a little bit lost as to how to convert it for mobile use. What can you recommend?It really down to the theme chosen. I see your theme was made a couple of years ago before responsive design was pretty much standard.

There are ways to make a mobile only version of your site, but i have not used those services so I can’t comment on how good they are.

Cheers,

Matt

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Scarlett,

I like it, nicely done.

Steve

ScarlettR
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 172491 wrote:
    Hi Scarlett

Congrats!!

Overall, the site achieves well (although stats will tell the true story).

I’m going to take a slightly different tack to other people who will give you there advice to maybe address a couple of things that I see could be tweaked.

1. your pricing:

a. 3 choices is great. 4 choices can cause paralysis. Try to remove one choice.
    b. your pricing isn’t consistent. Try to make it consistent. e.g. 449, 559, 929. I’ve got a bit about pricing on my blog, so you can read more about this there rather than me going into why and how.

2. 98% of the people who come to your site will leave. They might not be ready to buy yet, they might be in investigation mode. Put up on optin-box to your email list and grab them and pop them on your email. Then when they are ready to purchase, as long as you have been emailing regular content that is suitable for them, they’ll buy from you.

HOpe this helps.

Jenny

Thanks heaps for the feedback Jenny. I’ve been thinking on this a bit.

#2 is definitely important and something I’m working my way up to!

#1 is actually something I drew from inspiration off a podcast I listened to just these past weeks from FlyingSolo with Julia Bickerstaff. My pricing is drawn from a combination of experience from my first business at scarlettrugers.com and figuring out what I think my clients want, along with keeping away from the “$##9” pricing, to make it appear like I’m trying to price down to win work.

So I’ve calculated it from a work perspective- how many hours it will really take me + buffer on top of that. But perhaps you’re right, there should be a bit more consistency. Not sure how to go about implementing it though… something to think on.

ScarlettR
    Up
    Healthy Personal Finances, post: 172476 wrote:
    Hi Scarlett

I just had a quick look and I would have issues with the font.
    There seems to be various different types of font styles, sizes and colors and I find some of it very hard to quickly and easily read.
    Basically, if I can’t do a quick skim of a website and get the point in the first 30 seconds of what they do, then anybody has lost me.
    Yep – some customers are like me and just lazy (I like to think of myself as busy !!)
    I love that you have a portfolio on there and listed the packages and marked what you get and what is different in each package.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Stacey

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I too had second thoughts about the font face choices but needed to hear it from someone else. I’ve now changed it to a serif font face which should be much easier on the eyes and easy to skim through :)

ScarlettR
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 172467 wrote:
    Hi Scarlett,

Nice work launching the new venture.

I am out and about at the moment, and looked at the site on a phone.

The site is not mobile responsive and this is quite hard to get a gist of what you do. I think it’s vital for all new websites to be mobile responsive.

Cheers,

Matt :)

For now I’ve installed a WordPress Mobile Plugin which converts the website to mobile use. A bit ugly but will have to do for now! :) Thanks Matt.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.