Home – New Forums Tell me straight… New website feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    stylinggurus
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some constructive feedback on my new site I am working on. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Regards Jennifer

stylinggurus
    Up

Oh site address is:

http://www.stylingguru.com.au

stylinggurus
    Up

Anyone?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    stylinggurus, post: 257231, member: 105411 wrote:
    Anyone?

You may have noticed that it is very quiet around here at the moment, a lot of small business people take this as an opportunity to get away, relax, and forget about the world for a day or 2. Have patients.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Just one comment I would make is use your own pictures, using commonly available pictures of the web, doesn’t show that you can actually style, just that you can copy.

People want to see your work

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

I do have some feedback.

Firstly, it is a lovely website – very stylish and visually appealing.

The structure of the site does not lend itself to great Google results in the long term – one page sites are very hard to rank in major markets.

I recommend that you write down your aim and ask the community to provide feedback on that basis. Eg, if your aim is to generate enquiries via email or phone then the site, as is, will not meet your needs.

If you aim is to be found in Google, then you will not achieve your aim, as is.

If you want a beautiful extended business card, you are pretty spot on with colour and font, selection and your layout is superb.

Please let us know what your goals are and I for one will be happy to provide specific feedback.

And Happy Easter!

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Jennifer,

Not a website/technical person here, so approaching this purely from prospective client perspective. I have no idea about 1 page sites ranking or not ranking well but from a consumer perspective I can’t say I love them… I find it more difficult to find what I am after.

I like to see a menu – Services; About Us; Contact Us etc at the top, rather than having to scroll to find what I am after. Is it possible to add those sorts of buttons in a menu?

In the first ‘banner/header’ part where you say:
    Welcome to Melbourne’s
    Styling Guru

Premier Staging & Styling Property Experts

There is a button to click to email you for an estimate – is it possible to link that button to directly open an email? At the moment, it shoots me down the page to your contact information rather than actually going straight to an email if that makes sense?

If you do add menu button options, is it feasible to discuss cost? Even if it’s not exact? If I was looking for this service, I would (and this could just be me) be searching for some guide to likely cost to hire a staging/styling company.

Perhaps even a blog option? It could be a good way for you to (a) get good content to the site and (b) position yourself as an expert etc so visitors to your site can get a sense of your style/methods/expertise etc. It would be a good place to discuss trends; colours; pieces etc.

At the very bottom you advise you service western suburbs of Melbourne. If you do implement a separate “contact us” button/page, I’d be inclined to note you are based in X suburb and will service all western suburbs etc. I like to know where my provider is based, even if they say they service my area. I recently needed a removalist and all my searches came up (handy SEO work by this particular company) suggesting they were based in and servicing my area.. turns out they were actually based an hour or two away but had different landing pages to show they service different areas… point being, I wasted time with them as they were going to charge me 4 hours travel on top of actual move because their location was actually ages away… by noting somewhere your general location then your prospects will see not just that you service their area but are indeed local so if you intend to charge an travel time costs they’ll see you’re only 15 minutes away instead of possibly hours away.

Also, if you implement a separate contact us page, or even if you keep it as is, consider including an ABN. I know there are a few of us on this forum (and I am sure others out there) like to see some of the official business stuff (like location, ABN etc) as it helps create a sense of trust. We see immediately you’re a “real business” etc. If I am going to contact some one or purchase something online, I do check these things first.

Also – your copyright notice says :
    Copyright © 2018 Welcome to Styling Guru
    Think this should just be Copyright© 2018 Styling Guru?

I think the site looks good; like Paul said I think it looks quite stylish and it is visually appealing. It’s more about structure to me; I like quick links rather than scrolling (but, that could just be me!)

All the best with it :)

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Jennifer,

I felt your page was written for someone who already knows what staging is, what it includes, and when it’s needed, because I didn’t find that info so I’m still not sure.

Is it essentially providing furnishings and decoration during the sale of a house that’s empty? Say it plainly.. If you were to list a typical package then it would help to answer these questions I think. People want to know what they’ll get, to make sure they are in the right place.

Dave

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

It’s interesting that you say on your homepage….

“There is never a second chance to make a first impression. Buyers will typically take 15 seconds to make a decision regarding your property”

The same applies to your website.

Make it immediately clear what you do, and why people should pick up the phone or email you.

The top half of your homepage needs to be redone.

Here’s what you should do…

1. Put a simple, but CLEAR explanation of what you do. What you have now isn’t terrible, but make it better. Something like “Styling Homes To Maximise Your Sale Price”. Then under that put some USP dot points ….

• Selling your home? Increase your sales profit by up to 20%
    • Quick, fast and easy interior decoration rentals
    • Relax. We do everything.

Those are just some very rough thoughts off the top of my head. But hopefully you get my drift.

2. Get rid of that text on the right and put a big fat enquiry box there. Like this http://www.superiorplumbing.net.au/ (see the call to action?) You cant miss it. Theres an enquiry form there, and a big fat phone number. Pointless having an element on the page that you click on and it “slides” you down the page.

3. Get rid of all naked email addresses on your site, unless you want to be spammed to death.

4. Think about putting a simple “How it works” on your homepage, probably beneath the hero section. Look at how Paypal do it. https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/home

I could add a lot more but that should get you started.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Also, I would get rid of this on the homepage.

Jennifer is an Australian who has had the wonderful opportunity of living many years in provincial Toulouse, located in the South of France. She has also travelled extensively throughout various cities in Europe and the United States of America.

You would be MUCH better off putting a photo of a family there who you helped generate an additional $85,000 for the sale of their home by using your services. Infact you should have that type of content all over this thing.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

[USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER] – well put in the above 2 posts – they were my thoughts too.

The idea of commerce is to provide a product or service that solves a problem for a customer. All copy should explain, from the customers point of view, how the business does that.

Your posts exemplify quick and easy ways to do that.

winchweb
    Participant
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Completely agree with John’s comments re making it very clear & obvious what you’re about in that top first-seen bit of the page. I’d add that your logo needs a small adjustment – black text on a dark grey background.

Ditch the word “Welcome” (because of course you are). Move the “Email us…” button to after the point where the visitor knows what you do and why s/he should contact you.

Again as John suggests, put a ‘Call To Action’ up the top somewhere – a quick enquiry form, or better yet a request for your “Top 10 Styling Tips” that bribes visitors for an email address in exchange for your expert tips.

Add the names of the suburbs you service as well as (instead of?) the map. People will search for “home styling hoppers crossing” and the map won’t contribute to that.

I agree, stylish looking site. Get this page sorted out and then use it to build on down the track, as per Jacqui’s ideas. A website should be like a restaurant/cafe menu – give those in a rush what they need quickly & easily, give those with more time or inclination ALL the details they’re looking for.

stylinggurus
    Up

Wow. Thank you so much for your generous feedback. So very thankful (okay also a little overhwhelmed with all the work ahead). Thank you so much. One last question – is it possible to print all this thread?

stylinggurus
    Up

Thank you so much for your generous responses. It has really been a huge help.

stylinggurus
    Up

Just to be clear – I am an absolute start up. Starting from scratch.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.