Home – New Forums New here? Share your story New website for PR/comms jobs in Oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    msolsyd
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hello All! My name is Marjorie Solomon. While not exactly a new member, this is my first post :)
    With a background in PR/communications, I have been working solo (or collaboratively) for around five years in this field, but am now spreading my wings towards a number of online projects. My newest baby, Talking Comms Jobs, is a jobs and info site specifically servicing communications jobs seekers in Australia. I am hoping to position it as the go-to site for PR/comms people looking for jobs across the country.
    Please take a look, provide me with feedback… or let me know if you would like to be a contributor!
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Best wishes,
    Marjorie

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi, thanks for letting me review your site.

I was skip over the actual design, it’s quite boring, and looks like an un customised WordPress theme (I would take the link out of the footer, including the WordPress links), but it’s clean, which is good.

Now to the nitty gritty. The usability. I have a few points I would like to make.

1. Where are the jobs? This is a job site, but the jobs are hidden away on a inner page – the only way to get there is clicking the link in the navigation.

The most valuable real estate of the home page is taken up by a giant blog post. You do have place to the left titled ‘Featured’. The same article is then repeated directly under it.

You do have place to the left titled ‘Featured’. I am hoping this will be filled with featured jobs, but the people who land on your page are looking for a job, not articles. Jobs needs to be your focus, blog posts while important, need not take up the prime space of the home page.

2. The giant yellow box in the sidebar. Now I am assuming this is a future ad spot? If not then having a large eye catching box advertising the site that the person is already on is a mistake.

3. The strange blog categories navigation under the featured article looks completely out of place.

4. Once you find and click on the jobs link, the website layout completely changes. This is a big usability no no.

Personally, I think that page should be the homepage for the website.

Good luck!

MatthewKeath
    Up

Hi, thanks for letting me review your site.

I was skip over the actual design, it’s quite boring, and looks like an un customised WordPress theme (I would take the link out of the footer, including the WordPress links), but it’s clean, which is good.

Now to the nitty gritty. The usability. I have a few points I would like to make.

1. Where are the jobs? This is a job site, but the jobs are hidden away on a inner page – the only way to get there is clicking the link in the navigation.

The most valuable real estate of the home page is taken up by a giant blog post. You do have place to the left titled ‘Featured’. The same article is then repeated directly under it.

You do have place to the left titled ‘Featured’. I am hoping this will be filled with featured jobs, but the people who land on your page are looking for a job, not articles. Jobs needs to be your focus, blog posts while important, need not take up the prime space of the home page.

2. The giant yellow box in the sidebar. Now I am assuming this is a future ad spot? If not then having a large eye catching box advertising the site that the person is already on is a mistake.

3. The strange blog categories navigation under the featured article looks completely out of place.

4. Once you find and click on the jobs link, the website layout completely changes. This is a big usability no no.

Personally, I think that page should be the homepage for the website.

Good luck!

msolsyd
    Up

Hi Matthew…wow! Thank you for such an in-depth response. You have raised a number of valid points and have confirmed one or two or my suspicions about how the site needs to be reworked.
    Much appreciated,
    Marjorie

msolsyd
    Up

Hi Matthew…wow! Thank you for such an in-depth response. You have raised a number of valid points and have confirmed one or two or my suspicions about how the site needs to be reworked.
    Much appreciated,
    Marjorie

MatthewKeath
    Up
    msolsyd, post: 114561 wrote:
    Much appreciated,
    MarjorieNo problems :) Glad to help.
    MatthewKeath
    Up
    msolsyd, post: 114561 wrote:
    Much appreciated,
    MarjorieNo problems :) Glad to help.
    BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

I think Matthew has covered it well, but to add my two cents…as someone who might actually be on the hunt for casual/contract/freelance PR/comms jobs, I would likely land on your site and assume it was for jobs advice, not job postings. You definitely need the jobs on your landing page :)

Also, what sort of contributors are you looking for?

Cheers

Nicole

(and I will be keeping an eye out for freelance roles!)

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

I think Matthew has covered it well, but to add my two cents…as someone who might actually be on the hunt for casual/contract/freelance PR/comms jobs, I would likely land on your site and assume it was for jobs advice, not job postings. You definitely need the jobs on your landing page :)

Cheers

Nicole

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Marjorie,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and good on you for being brave enough to request feedback on your site with your first post, and for taking the responses on the chin!

It’s great to have you on the boards, and we’ll look forward to getting to know you.

Hope the launch of the new business goes brilliantly.

Best wishes,
    Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Marjorie,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and good on you for being brave enough to request feedback on your site with your first post, and for taking the responses on the chin!

It’s great to have you on the boards, and we’ll look forward to getting to know you.

Hope the launch of the new business goes brilliantly.

Best wishes,
    Jayne

msolsyd
    Up
    BlackCoffeeComms, post: 114571 wrote:
    …I would likely land on your site and assume it was for jobs advice, not job postings. You definitely need the jobs on your landing page :)

Thanks for your feedback Nicole. I have definitely taken this point on board and am now looking at restructuring the site accordingly. I am also going to address Matthew’s point about it being ‘boring’ (fair) and am excited about a few options I have to make it more visually engaging.

I am looking for news/advice on the the comms jobs scene or broader recruitment advice that has immediate relevance to PR/comms job seekers. If you are interested, please let me know :)

Great! That’s exactly what it is there for!

Thanks again,

Marjorie

msolsyd
    Up
    …I would likely land on your site and assume it was for jobs advice, not job postings. You definitely need the jobs on your landing page :)

Thanks for your feedback Nicole. I have definitely taken this point on board and am now looking at restructuring the site accordingly. I am also going to address Matthew’s point about it being ‘boring’ (fair) and am excited about a few options I have to make it more visually engaging.

I am looking for news/advice on the the comms jobs scene or broader recruitment advice that has immediate relevance to PR/comms job seekers. If you are interested, please let me know :)

Great! That’s exactly what it is there for!

Thanks again,

Marjorie

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.