Home – New Forums Tell me straight… New wordmistress site is now live

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    ::

Good morning all

I’m happy to announce that my NEW wordmistress site is now live. No more weebly.com freebie, thanks to the advice I received from Flying Soloists!

http://www.wordmistress.com.au

I’m pretty pleased with the outcome although as is normal, I plan to tweak things as time goes by. I’d enjoy receiving your feedback if you have a moment.

One thing I wondered was whether there are too many menu headings and if it would be better to create secondary menus. I’m also keen to add some call to action buttons but would appreciate your suggestions on where to place them so that it all doesn’t look too ‘heavy’. Same goes for a button that announces the current month’s specials without having to go looking for them.

Not 100% happy with the ‘forward to a friend’ and ‘sign up for newsletter’ graphics. Any suggestions?

Thanks, I look forward to your very valuable feedback!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Gina, congratulations!

So nice to have that ticked off the to do list huh?

I haven’t spent much time on the site, but two quick points that you might like to think about:
    1. I am losing the last digit of your mobile number out to the right of the screen. Maybe worth moving it to the left a little? (It might be my screen settings, but it’s not happening with other sites)

2. I’d suggest renaming ‘admin blog’ to either ‘Gina’s blog’ or ‘Wordmistress’ blog’

And great to see such lovely testimonials from Fiona, Patrick, Brady and Rachel there too – thanks for supporting one of the FS gang guys!

Good luck with it Gina,
    Jayne

wordmistress
    Up

Hmm thanks Jayne. I’ve checked on Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and it all seems fine. Anyone else having problems with the phone number being cut off on the right?

Good idea about renaming ‘admin’. Thanks!

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

It’s the fixed width. It’s too wide. On my netbook 1024 x 526 screen res it’s chopped so I have to press the right arrow to scroll over and see it.

wordmistress
    Up

Thanks, John. I’ll let my web guy know.

vxd
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Gina,

Will there be an image in the black box on the left? I think it’s just a waste of space for the content in there. I think that content will be more suitable above the main content and below the menu.

I suggest some padding within the “tell a friend” and “sign up for newsletter” box.

I think you should keep the twitter, faceboook and linkeden icon at it’s original size. Well they look bigger than they usually do and they don’t look smooth.

I think your mobile number on the top right could be a little smaller and you could put your email up there as well or shrink it down to the size of
    “© the wordmistress 2010” and add your address, Mobile number and Email.

How come your website is boxed up and has a fixed size? That Vertical scrolling within the grey box is not user friendly, maybe you can fix it up so the who website has vertical scrolling. The user hates scrolling. Monitors and resolution are becoming bigger and your website will look like a little box on bigger monitor. Of course not everyone will have large monitors but even on a 1024×768 the user will still need to scroll more than they have to because you’ve trapped the content in the grey box.

Contact page:

t: 0404 879 100 it should be m: 0404 879 100

on some of the pages you have

Quote:
    on some of the pages you have Are you looking for a website copywriter, a newsletter copywriter or a blog copywriter?
    Call Gina on 0404 879 100 in Brisbane, Australia for a fixed price copywriting quote.
    You could have a link to the contact page
    bushsong
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Congratulations Gina on getting a real site. Looks like it’s in Drupal? Pretty powerful stuff for a small business site.. :-)

Anyway, couple of issues stand out to me.

1. Menu isn’t too long, but it doesn’t stand out enough. Almost looks like part of the page text to me.

2. Your title meta tags are wordmistress.com.au | expert copywriting | website content | newsletter write | qld | brisbane… I would get rid of wordmistress.com.au, qld and brisbane. With the site name, it will come up easily if searched for and with the latter 2, they are too broad. Focus on getting your keywords you are chasing into the title tags on each page.

3. You have no meta description tag in the header. It is a must as this is what appears under the Google listing in the search results. Needs to be 160 characters long at max and be different on each page to reflect content. If you don’t do this, Google will choose and excerpt from the page to show as description.

4. Wholeheartedly agree with Jayne about the “Admin’s blog”. Use your name. It’s your personal space, so make it so.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

wordmistress
    Up
    vxd, post: 30021 wrote:
    Hi Gina,

Will there be an image in the black box on the left? I think it’s just a waste of space for the content in there. I think that content will be more suitable above the main content and below the menu.

I suggest some padding within the “tell a friend” and “sign up for newsletter” box.

I think you should keep the twitter, faceboook and linkeden icon at it’s original size. Well they look bigger than they usually do and they don’t look smooth.

I think your mobile number on the top right could be a little smaller and you could put your email up there as well or shrink it down to the size of
    “© the wordmistress 2010” and add your address, Mobile number and Email.

How come your website is boxed up and has a fixed size? That Vertical scrolling within the grey box is not user friendly, maybe you can fix it up so the who website has vertical scrolling. The user hates scrolling. Monitors and resolution are becoming bigger and your website will look like a little box on bigger monitor. Of course not everyone will have large monitors but even on a 1024×768 the user will still need to scroll more than they have to because you’ve trapped the content in the grey box.

Contact page:

t: 0404 879 100 it should be m: 0404 879 100

on some of the pages you have

You could have a link to the contact page

Great points, all taken on board, thank you! Yes, was waiting for the site to go live before I added the links, just in case the extension wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be.

jands
    • Total posts: 72
    Up

Hi Gina,

Looks great. I think there’s a space missing between call & Gina at the bottom of the Rates page.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Hi Gina,

Looking good. I like how the content seems to cut straight to the point. Not too much mucking around, you say what you do and how you do it well.

I agree with the majority about the black space boxes. It just looks weird and out of place.

It is probably one of the only websites I have been on that doesn’t have any images (other than the contact page). I guess this helps with loading speed of the site, but I think a few pictures could really help brighten it up and possible encourage people to stay longer on the site. Makes it a bit more interesting.

How about an image that takes up half the black box with the quotes and specials in the bottom half.

wordmistress
    Up

You have no idea how timely that post is, mexham! My sister was just saying exactly the same thing to me about half an hour ago! My retort was: “Yeah but I deal in words, not images.” But secretly, I know it could use a little dolling up. Thanks for your feedback. When I’ve got a couple of minutes to really focus on it, I’ll do just that. Meanwhile, for your reading entertainment lol, go along and read the top 20 reasons why you need a copywriter TODAY! :) Just some genuine advice disguised as infotainment!

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi Gina,

You are the product. Your skills, ability and imagination. Therefore I would put a picture of yourself in that black box.

wordmistress
    Up

Hi Steve

Well there is a picture of me on the About page. Will think about it anyway :). Thanks!

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 31390 wrote:
    Meanwhile, for your reading entertainment lol, go along and read the top 20 reasons why you need a copywriter TODAY! :) Just some genuine advice disguised as infotainment!

Lol @ Gina. I loved those 20 reasons.
    Even better were the fantastic testamonials. I have some things I might need of the mistress. I enjoy reading anything from a spelling & grammar nazi.

Cheers,

Trish.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.