Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Newbie on import business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Trason
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone and business mentors,

I am a newbie in a small-business (start-up) and I am about to purchase and import sustainable handicraft products made of native rattan, coconuts, bamboos, banig mats, capiz and woven textiles from the Philippines to SYD via DHL. I’ve been doing some research and the more I dig deeper, I am now getting muddled and confused about the importation policies, and taxes (GST and duty fees).

The goods are from 5 different suppliers from different regions (2 of them have experienced importing to AU but for personal use and in small quantities via DHL) but now in bulk orders, I need to know what should I be prepared of.

Since I’m also starting with minimal funds. The value of the goods on each supplier may be between $750 to $900 and the schedule of shipping could be in interval due to lead time of manufacturing and I may stock up for the meantime.

Could you please help me with the following:
    1. Am I required to submit import declaration form each time of shipping or is it DHL will complete this?
    2. IF the shipping costs and fees are added to the goods and summed up to $1000 does GST and fees apply? Does ATO charges me of GST if its an aggregate of all goods?
    3. Considering the goods are at their good export quality made, would they still be subject to fumigation and what paperworks should I prepare? Any ideas of the fees involved?
    4. Would I be saving more if I deal with freight forwarders in small value goods? or is it practical with DHL?
    5. Can you also help me a formula on how to put a price on my product?
    Thank you very much for any help on my enquiries.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=115966]@Trason[/USER] .

It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some advice to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Dash Freight
    Participant
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

Hi Trason

Here are some short answers, but you will need more detailed answers. I can help you

1. Am I required to submit import declaration form each time of shipping or is it DHL will complete this? DHL will do it but you need to supply the documents they lodge on your behalf
    2. IF the shipping costs and fees are added to the goods and summed up to $1000 does GST and fees apply? YES Does ATO charges me of GST if its an aggregate of all goods? YES
    3. Considering the goods are at their good export quality made, would they still be subject to fumigation and what paperworks should I prepare? Any ideas of the fees involved? Yes. Its often best to get fumigation ay origin
    4. Would I be saving more if I deal with freight forwarders in small value goods? or is it practical with DHL? Best to talk to a good freight broker such as me – I do courier services and cargo
    5. Can you also help me a formula on how to put a price on my product?
    Thank you very much for any help on my enquiries. Yes. What you are after is a Landed Cost formula – That’s what I do

Rob Dash E: [email protected] M: 61 423 136 053 Quotes: https://tinyurl.com/yae7tbj6 S: live:rd2221
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.