• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    simone
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi people,

I started off a working from home as a medical and legal transcriptionist for a company online as a contractor but would like to branch off on my own and start my dream of being a virtual assistant but I need “the push”!
    I just don’t know where to start and guess I am scared that I get it wrong!
    Am I being silly here??

allcreative
    • Total posts: 54
    Up
    simone, post: 6472 wrote:
    I just don’t know where to start and guess I am scared that I get it wrong!
    Am I being silly here??

Hi Simone,

Welcome to FS! No, you’re not being silly :)

Two things, not many people know where to start, and everyone gets it wrong! To start, get some info from the ATO, business.gov.au etc about business in Australia and more specifically in your state. I’d be spending a while on examining the industry, other providers, market research, etc.

On my second point, I don’t know a single business person (successful and unsuccessful) who did not make mistakes. Mistakes are what drives you to improve allow you the knowledge to move forward and grow. I believe you learn more from mistakes :-)

Plan, plan and then do some more planning, and you’ll be well on your way!

Joel

Lucki
    • Total posts: 147
    Up

Hi Simone,

Welcome aboard.

We all have fears and it’s by overcoming it that we grow, those who run from it shrink from greatness. As Joel said we all make mistakes, so learn the lesson and get it right next time. There are so many resources now and great people on this forum if you need help.

Lucinda Lions wrote an article on the flying solo website called Building confidence by using fear http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/p261588133_Confidence-building-Building-confidence-by-using-fear.html– it’s certainly worth reading.

You can also check Small Business and your local council for more information.

It took me 10years to decide to start a business but I have to admit I’m loving the journey and know that I won’t have the regret. As they say you’ll never know until you try.

Good luck.

Lucki

stallence
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi Simone

I too am a newby on this forum but also as a VA. Following is a link to give you further information on becoming a virtual assistant that I found very helpful.

http://www.vadirectory.net/

Good luck in your new endeavour.

TizzBizz
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

Hi everyone,

Well I am newbie san ban, Number 3, here and am going through the same stage as Simone… that of being afraid to take the leap, especially during these ‘belt tightening’ times. It really is true that you are normally affected by what happens around you and is pushed down your throat ie Media, politicians, etc. While I have been very excited/ motivated about my planned business venture I am now feeling more worried about whether I will be able to support my family and that maybe I should just stick with the secure (although totally un-challenging) job I have now?

I have run a small business previously, which failed dismally (but that’s okay as I learned a great deal about everyone business, which to me is probably more important than how the business went in the greater scheme of things) but that was before I had a mortgage and second child.

I have found that speaking to/ reading stories of/ being around really positive/ successful people is a huge plus when self-doubt starts to creep in. I have started reading Success magazine, from the US of A, and think it is just great as it focuses on what you can do and you get to read about people who have tried and succeeded. This is another reason why I joined up with the good folk at Flying Solo :)

Okay this is turning into a bit of a ramble, so to sum up…

• Do your homework – read, read, read and read
    • Do up a financial plan/ budget – just knowing you aren’t going to be living off baked beans and instant noodles is heartening. Hmmm sounds like my ‘backpacking through Europe’ days ;)
    • Speak to an accountant
    • Speak to a lawyer
    • Speak to as many people who have ‘been there and done that’ as you can get in front of and listen to what they have to say. I would even recommend writing up a list of questions that are on your mind
    • Read up on successful entrepreneurs ie Richard Branson, Bill Gates and not to forget the founders of Deals Direct, Google, eBay, Red Balloon Days etc etc
    • Check with your local council that they are cool with what you are planning on doing – just to be sure
    • Don’t be afraid of failing
    • Don’t be afraid of succeeding either!
    • Don’t be afraid to ask questions, regardless of how silly you may think they are
    • Find an affirmation that works for you. I have one that goes “every day, in every way, I keep getting better and better” so feel free to use it if you like but I will expect 5 cents every time you use it ;)
    • Simone: Look within for that push as if it comes from an external source you won’t have complete ownership of it, which I believe is very important.

Okay, time for me to be quiet :)

Ciao

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.