Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Newsletters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    ::

Hi all. I send out a monthly newsletter for my website. It is usually a fairly concise newsletter with promotions we are running, interesting / useful information, or tips related to our site.

Anyway, this month we have had an unusal amount of “unsubscribes” or “Requests to unsubscribe”.

Most are very sharp, impolite requests, 1 or 2 were along the lines of, “do you mind removing me from your list – I am simply getting too many emails these days”. All in all, we sent out the newsletter to approximately 2200 people and had about 20 unsubscribe this month.

Anyhow, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are newsletters still an effective marketing tool? I am guessing it depends how interesting or beneficial the content of the newsletter is for your audience?

2. Is it normal to experience a certain number of “unsubscribes”. What sort of % do others experience?

3. I was wondering if I should have an unsubscribe page that offers users the chance to state select a reason? Or is it best to just let people disappear?

Thanks all. Keen to hear of others’ thoughts or experiences.

Michael

WiseUp
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi there,

I manage newsletters for a lot of clients. On average we probably have around 3-4 unsubscribes a month on a list of around 6-700. And that doesn’t worry me too much.

20 on 220 is a fairly significant proportion to opt out. A few questions come to mind….

1. What was your content? Was this newsletter different to the others? A bit too sales focussed? Trying to think is there a reason why this time, people thought you know what I am sick of this.

2. Is your frequency too high?

3. How did people sign up? Did you collect the addresses letting people know you would be sending them a newsletter, or is it a surprise and perhaps thats why they are unsubscribing?

4. How did you send it out? Did you use a program that personalises at least the name field or did it go out en masse, with emails BCC’d?

I don’t think eNewsletters are dead, but I do think they are a bit of an art. Most of the time they are only opened by about 20% of your list, with others being too busy and either deleting on arrival or not checking that email account.

So you need to make sure they add value to your target. Not just waffle on about your message, make sure you provide them with some of what interests them.

Happy to have a look at your newsletter and give you more specific advice

Mary-Anne

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Michael,

I actually just read a post/article yesterday outlining the top 10 reasons people stop following or unsubscribing etc. Perhaps it might offer some suggestions? You can find it at http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/The_top_10_reasons_people_unfollow_and_unlike_bran_10915.aspx

I came about it via https://www.facebook.com/TheShiftSA, who I follow on Facebook. (You might recognise the name Copybreak from this forum? – Well, Anna of Copybreak is involved also with TheShift) and they are sharing some great information about doing business ‘online’.

Anyway – hope it helps :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I think 20 from 2200 is pretty close to 3-4 of 6-700

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

You will always get unsubscribes, but over time you will reduce it.

There a few things you need to do in order to keep your subscriber list alive and kicking:

1. SEGMENT SEGMENT SEGMENT! It’s like the location location location chant you get in real estate – it is the basic most important thing that people do not do. You need to make sure to take some time to use the data you collect from your user base and cut them up into different groups. Some people make you tick boxes asking you what kind of information you want to receive before you sign up. This is great because you will only be sending information they WANT, not what you want – which never really works out well. You may get less conversions but more quality conversions. You may want to send an email out once in a while with a short survey to further segment. For example you run a business blog so you may want to segment your email base into categories. I may only want to know more about marketing but don’t care about finance. So if you send me finance news I will surely tune out.

2. QUALITY! The quality of the information you send is important. Don’t send me sales messages or I will unsubscribe quickly.

3. YOUR subscribers? How did you get them – if you bought them off a list, I’m not surprised. If you got their emails from another source, I’m not surprised. If they didn’t “opt-in” or confirm their subscription – then you have their emails illegally under spam law. So make sure your list consists of legit interested customers or no matter what you do, you will not get good metrics.

Thanks for reading,

Wendy

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

To answer your question I have found newsletters to be the best form of advertising so far. Nearly all of my clients have come from newsletters sent out.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 120881 wrote:
    To answer your question I have found newsletters to be the best form of advertising so far. Nearly all of my clients have come from newsletters sent out.Can I ask how they ended up on your list?
    IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 120917 wrote:
    Can I ask how they ended up on your list?

Nope! :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 120956 wrote:
    Nope! :)Um… Ok … Thanks :/

You wouldn’t want me stealing your secrets I guess :D

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 120961 wrote:
    Um… Ok … Thanks :/

You wouldn’t want me stealing your secrets I guess :D

Understandably, you are both in direct competition with each other.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

I generally don’t unsubscribe from newsletters because it is quicker for me just to right-click-add-to-junk-mail-list anything I don’t want.

Has anyone done any surveys about what attrition rate newsletters get from people like me as opposed to un-subscribers which is more easy to count?

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Steve, I fall into the same boat as you.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

newsletter marketing, especially hardcopy is still one of the most powerful stealth lead generation and conversion tool out there. done correctly, it’s like putting an iron cage on your prospects and clients.

nothing wrong with having sales messages as long as it’s weaved in tactfully. unsubscription rate is not enough. how is your open rate and click through rate?

ultimately, you have to ask yourself what % of your subscribers are active clients, what % of subscribers become clients, your monthly attrition to subscription ratio, etc.

newsletters are salesmanship in print. the idea is to generate paying clients. if you are not, it wont matter if you have 20 thousand people on your list.

i subscribe to a number of newsletters. i observe which ones i ignore and which ones i read and also in which order.

finally, the good new is just because you have a newsletter, doesnt mean you have to come up with the content. so if you suck at writing interesting content like me, there are a lot of broke creatives who will do it for a song.

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up

I have come to the conclusion, that it is almost completely not relevant what’s in the newsletter. From my monthly 2000+ newsletter we never get anyone asking to buy anything from that newsletter but we do get people just “surfacing” after not hearing from them for a long time.
    I think it’s all about letting people know that we ‘re are here if you need us, name “in your face”.
    That’s my opinion anyway.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

20 out of 2200 is 0.9% – I’d say that’s quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things and to be expected on any list.

People really are busier today than ever before in history, and we have so many things competing for our attention that it is totally understandable that some subscribers will not want to receive your newsletter any more, at least for the time being. They can always find your website and sign up again at some point in the future. Don’t try to pressure them into staying, as that will leave a bad taste in their mouth, but perhaps send them a special offer in 3 or 6 months time (make them know that it’s a one time offer and you won’t bother them again).

Cheers,
    John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.