Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Nice to be here :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HealthyDogs
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Good morning Soloists,

I have been popping in to read discussions and useful info on the board for a few months now, and it’s nice to now be joining in.

I am on the verge of jumping in to starting my own online and distribution business, supplying healthy dog treats and food (all of which are animal friendy – vegan and vegetarian). What no meat?? :) Yes!! Many dogs have dietary sensitivities which make plant-based treats and snacks an excellent way to balance their diets, provide missing nutrients and minerals or address health issues like skin problems. Great for fat pooches too! :)

I am so excited!! And overwhelmed 😮 There is SO much information to digest. I have been researching running my own start up for a few months and am now at the stage when I just need to DO things. Exactly what to do first is my initial quandry. Ha!

Do I register a company name and then contact manufacturors, ordering stock before the website and facebook pages are made (have to have stock to put on the pages after all)?
    How do I know how much stock to order?
    Do I need a company address? Sounds a silly question, but I am in a rented house and plan to operate through a self storage warehouse initially – will a PO Box be sufficient?

Aaarg, so many questions and things to work out. Thankfully, everything can be figured out…eventually :)

I will definitely be soaking up any advise and research within this community. I will post some questions in the relevant forums soon.

Happy wet noses and tail wags to all,

Michelle

Leetoki
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi HealthyDogs!

Nice to see someone branching out into that field! As someone who used to own bulldogs, we went through a plethora of products to find something to stop itchy snouts and scratchy bellies. I wish someone had’ve mentioned vegan options and even fish oil back those days.

Good luck to your endeavours!

Lee

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Michelle,

Good on you for deciding to get on with it!

You’re not alone in finding the to do list overwhelming during this start up phase.

My tip is to split it up into different sections and tackle one of them at a time. Start with talking to your accountant about what type of business structure will be best for you and then getting that set up.

Good luck with it all,
    Jayne

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Michelle and nice to meet you

Great business and well needed in this age of fur babies.

You will need a physical address – can you use a family members home, for example.

Start as small as you can on stock levels as I assume they will have expiry dates and until you have people wanting to buy this may be an issue.

All part of your initial research.

The Rogue Counsellor
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

Welcome to FS Michelle, from another newbie.

Just one small suggestion that someone gave me when I was overwhelmed by all things I had to do, and just didn’t know where to start. It’s something I still follow.

Work out what the next half dozen things are that you need to do, and do them.

Just those 6 things. When you finish them, work out what the next 6 should be.

I have an endless ‘to do’ list, and this really helps keep me focussed.

Right now I’m guessing every one of the six things on your list will start with the word “research”.

Wishing you lots of luck … and energy :)

Lee
    The Rogue Counsellor

m.dance
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

HI Michelle

Welcome to FS

I’m new as well I plan to start up in the next 12 months.

Let me know if you need any help with Social Media Marketing because that’s my thing!

Again Welcome

Cheers Michael

HealthyDogs
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Yay! Thank you all for such positive and encouraging feedback.

Rogue Counsellor, I love your idea of ‘6 things’. I think that is going to be implemented straight away! There are indeed a lot of items on it that begin with ‘Research’ :)

Thankfully, Miss Sassy, the expiry dates on products do allow me a little time, but you are absolutely right – starting small will be key for me.

Lee, your feedback made me smile. Thank you.

Lots to do, lots to do!

Jayne, I saw an accountant a little while back and discussed set up, so should have the info I need to get that sorted, as you suggest.

Oooh, this is fun! :D

PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Hi Michelle

Welcome! As owner of one itchy scratchy pooch I’ll be interested to see your products! :)
    Enjoy the journey, fun!

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Awesome – I think you’ve got a really interesting idea there!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.