Home – New Forums Other discussions Nightmare order from India-Advise Urgently Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    J21
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advise on this.

I recently made an order from an Indian supplier of nautical products, such as clocks, magnifying glasses and decor items.

I paid 60% via TT. The supplier (alibaba- gold supplier) showed me some pictures of the products that are completed, but the colours and designs are just a knock off from the picture they showed me. Quality and design and colour is totally different from the product information. It will be unsaleable in the Australian market.

So what do I do now?

1. Cancel the whole order? Any chance of getting my money back?
    2. Take what is acceptable (probably only 2 out of 10 items) and cancel the rest?
    3. If he refuse to refund, can I report him to any place and get my money back?

I told the supplier that his products are not up to standard, and he said he will only change it if I top up the difference. I refuse to top up any, because he was the one who delivered a poor product in the first place.

I can’t afford this horrible order, I’m using all my savings to fund this new business of mine.

Any advise is highly appreciated, thank you!

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Just to be clear, what you are saying is that you arranged an order and based on pictures of some completed products, you are not happy with what has been completed?

If that is correct, my answer to your questions is as follows:-

1. I certainly wouldn’t be paying any more money. If you are not satisfied with the product to the extent you mention then there is little likelihood things will get any better. There is also little likelihood you will get any of you money back.

2. I doubt they will let you bargain too much, it’s generally an all or nothing thing for them. How do you even know there is any that will be acceptable based on a picture?

3. If they refuse to refund, there is little you can do. It’s worth a try to talk with Alibaba, but they don’t have a reputation for being too helpful. You usually get a “we take all care, but no responsibility…..” approach.

The above are just general comments based on experience, of course this may happen, or that may happen, but in the end poor suppliers are generally also poor when it comes to service and being helpful. Every now and again comes a surprise.

A couple of observations that may appear like sticking the knife in, but are really meant as assistance for reference-

1. Did you get any samples? Getting them is no guarantee of quality for production of an order but it does two things:-

– It establishes a level of quality. You know what expectations you should have
    – it establishes an onus for the manufacturer to have a certain quality.

You cannot determine quality of a product from a picture and without having set parameters of quality its hard to then argue that something doesn’t meet your standards.

2. What was your reason for selecting this supplier? This kind of thing generally happens when people select the product based on the lowest price they can get. If that was the case, you always run a greater risk of problems.

In the end, I wouldn’t be paying any more. It doesn’t hurt to keep going at this guy for a while to see if they will budge, but everything tell me that at some point this will be one of those expensive. lessons learnt.

Not what you want to hear I know, but something I see time and again.

J21
    Up

Hi Johny,

Thank you for your detailed reply, really appreciate it.

I think I probably going to lose money on this, but is looking what else can I do to minimize my losses?

I am only ordering 10 pieces per design (I bought 12 different designs), which makes sampling very difficult. (according to the supplier).I have not received any actual product but my supplier is sending me pictures of what he had completed toupdate me on the progress.

I had attached a picture of what I ordered.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Don’t write it off just yet.

I would do 2 things

– contact Alibaba. You may not get the result you want, but it is worth a shot.

– see if you can get the supplier to just accept the 60%. I would be mentioning that you will be telling other Australian suppliers not to deal with them as well as no longer dealing with them yourself.

Even though the products are not what you expected you could change your target market to find people who would like them. Have a massive sale and sell them at just above cost price. You could generate some good traffic (if you are web based) and may score yourself some customers who wouldn’t have bought from you normally.

I don’t think the example you showed looked *that* bad – yes, it is completely different to what you ordered but they are not a complete write off looks wise.

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

From the images I can see that you ordered samples with brass metal and you got the samples made of steel. I wonder where is the confusion? Did you tell your supplier to manufacture your sample with brass metal or steel metal?

If you had specifically told them you wanted brass metal or brass finish in writing then you have a very strong defence.

J21
    Up

Yes, I ordered the product as brass, I am also web-based.

I don’t think I want to take the risk of selling it cheaply because I still need to bear the remaining costs, import/port charges, GST before the goods even reach my place. It will be another $1000-2000. If I can’t sell off the goods and this would meant I am losing almost $5000. I would rather spend the other 1-2k on other goods with other better suppliers.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

I think I probably going to lose money on this, but is looking what else can I do to minimize my losses?

All that you can really do is spend some time discussing further with the supplier to see if there cannot be some resolution. Your options for going through different “channels” are not that strong. As I mentioned discuss with Alibaba, but don’t hold your breath.

I think what you said later is also right. You need to consider all the other costs and whether losing some now is better than potentially losing more later once you include all the other costs associated. Only you can really know that based on your intended use for the products.

Not a pleasant position to be in, and sorry I really don’t have anything very positive to offer.

I am only ordering 10 pieces per design (I bought 12 different designs), which makes sampling very difficult. (according to the supplier).I have not received any actual product but my supplier is sending me pictures of what he had completed to update me on the progress.

Yes, sampling in that case is difficult. To be honest I would also be reluctant to provide 12 samples where the total order was only 120 pcs.

Perhaps a tip for next time may be to reduce the number of different designs at the start because getting samples is always going to be an important part of the process.

A couple of final comments.

I would be mentioning that you will be telling other Australian suppliers not to deal with them as well as no longer dealing with them yourself.

If you had specifically told them you wanted brass metal or brass finish in writing then you have a very strong defence.

For anyone else reading this and looking to source products from overseas, you simply can’t expect the same type of recourse you would get when buying locally, if there is a problem.

A good supplier will be good regardless and a bad supplier doesn’t care regardless.

It is the time you spend finding and assessing the intended supplier that makes all the difference. There will always be risk, but its about minimizing the risk to an acceptable level that you are prepared to accept based on the potential return.

And if you don’t spend that time, getting a bad supplier and having a problem will result in losing your money 8-9 times out of 10.

J21
    Up

Thank you Johny, your advise is well-appreciated.

I would discuss further with my supplier and see how it works out.

If this did not work out altogether, I am thinking of writing as a tax loss.

J21
    Up

Hello All,

Just wanted to give an update.

Took advise from you all, I wanted to take 3 products out of the 12 products, these 3 are up to scratch.

Assuming each product is $100, I paid 60% of 12 products, 60% x 1200=720.

I requested my supplier refund me 720-(3 products price) and $100 postage costs.

720-300-100=320.

After a few discussions,

My supplier had come back with 2 options.

1. Do not pay the remaining 40%($480) but add another 200 USD to cover shipping costs (on condition of taking all goods-defective or not)

2. Refund 15% of my proposed $320 to cover his own manufacturing costs. But mail out my 3 products.

What do I think I should do? I’m leaning towards option 2 but feel the 15% is way too low. I did suggested go halfway (50%) but the supplier said it’s too much.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

I think there is no good way out.

In given situation, I guess you want to take the minimum loss. So, choose the one that makes you better off.

Why would you pay another $200 for the goods that you think you can’t sell?

If you have chosen 3 products and if the supplier is going to mail those products and give you some refund, I think that is a better option.

Make sure they do give you your money back as promised and mail you the products. I guess its a lesson learnt.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.