Home – New Forums New here? Share your story No longer working for the man…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    luke240z
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi,

My wife and I have a quite a bit of experience in hospitality with myself being a chef and my wife a food and beverage manager/ event coordinator. We have worked around Australia in various small restaurants through to 5 star Hotels for the past 15 years. We recently (November 2008) purchased a motel and conference centre that we have been running successfully using the same principles and ideas we have developed over the years and have really enjoyed the process.

What I’m hoping to find here are some like minded people with small business experience perhaps in the accommodation industry to shed some more light on techniques and strategies that have proven well in the past as well as some small business coaching to help me with the transition from hectic commercial kitchen life in a solo senior management role to working along side with my lovely wife :)

We have worked very well together in the past in other venues when there was another level of management above us but am now finding myself being challenged more than usual with us both at that same level of management. There is now two people in charge of everything and having the extra person and ideas are posing quite a challenge and sometimes a sense of doubt. Before my days would revolve around me keeping on top of my department and passing on orders within the kitchen to make sure everything was done. No one questioned anything and just did the job that was required. The days proved to be a success and thats pretty much how work life was for me. Not to say those were easy days… not by a long shot!

We have separated the roles and duties and this has helped a lot but are there other ways to help us in this situation. This was when the work coach/ business mentor idea came about. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
    Luke

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Luke,

Welcome to the Flying Solo forums. Congratulations on making the break, it sounds as if it was the right move for you and your wife.

There’s no doubt that there are challenges to going it alone and good on you for recognising that.

If no-one responds here, my advice would be to post your specific questions in a different part of the forum.

Look forward to seeing you around!

Sam

Lucki
    • Total posts: 147
    Up

Hi Luke,

Congratulations on your new venture and welcome aboard. Not being in the hospitality industry I’m unable to answer your questions.

However, Sam’s suggestion of posting your specific questions elsewhere on the forum sounds like a plan, that is of course unless someone answers it here :)

Regards
    Lucki

luke240z
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Thanks for the tip. I’ve posted in the working smarter section, maybe that will hit the spot ;-)

Thanks
    Luke

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.