Home – New Forums Tech talk No quite so shiny

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    ::

I like a little schadenfreude from time to time as much as the next man, but I find no joy, shameful or otherwise, in Apple’s rather dismal new mapping software.

I don’t suppose it will ultimately hurt iPhone sales in the longer term, but it will be rolled out for ever more by the press whenever Apple does something less than perfect. And one thing’s for sure, it will certainly impact iOS6 upgrades and will make a lot of people stay just where they are for the moment at least.

It’s not the end of the World of course, but Greenland appearing in the Indian Ocean must hurt Apple’s reputation and one can’t help but wonder about how such a monstrous mistake could be allowed to hit the streets.

It wouldn’t have happened had St. Jobs still been running the show, that’s for sure.

So I wonder, are we seeing the first cracks beginning to appear in Apple’s hitherto unblemished skin.

Rico
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

Too early to say. The death grip on the iPhone 4 did nothing to stop the rising of Apple, and that was a hardware issue. A cloud based map that is able to “learn” from the millions of Apple users can be fixed quickly, and it may compete with Google maps in less than a year.
    The rumour is that a Google Maps official apps is ready and it will be approved in less than a week, and there are already good alternatives, so this is really a fan boy issue and a media stunt more than anything else.
    The new iPhone is not the most advanced phone in the market, and the iOS 6 is not the most powerful mobile OS, but they work very well together, and they offer the best customer experience for 99% of the users. This is all it is needed to be on top. Plus millions of teenagers looking for the latest must have gadget of course ;)

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Rico, post: 132950 wrote:
    and they offer the best customer experience for 99% of the users.

Yay, I must be in the top 1% then! :D
    (er, or maybe the bottom 1%)

Uncomplicating
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 132951 wrote:
    Yay, I must be in the top 1% then! :D
    (er, or maybe the bottom 1%)

It’s been interesting reading of late. Even prior to the maps mishap, I’ve been seeing a lot more commentary indicating that some users, while perhaps not dissatisfied with the iPhone are maybe bored with it and may consider alternatives come contract renewal time.

And of course, as data is in the cloud, it’s much harder today to lock users in to a platform.

evti
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

My personal thought is that it’s possible that Apple has plateaued in their success as a result of both factors related to them, and factors related to the market. With Androids getting up to speed, and now Microsoft coming into the market, Apple isn’t the only game in town anymore. Now the manufacturers of Android and Microsoft products are learning from Apple, and gathering the intel they need to successfully compete. In terms of Apple themselves, the map blunder is possibly a sign of what’s to come. That combined with the fact that many people (fan boys aside) find the new iPhone to be somewhat underwhelming, might lead people astray from the path of Apple’s will. Basically, I notice people are realizing they have choices, which is good. Personally, I own an Android phone and an iPad, so I have the best of both worlds. I will not be updating to 6.0 on my iPad until there is a jailbreak, and a Google maps app.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

My iphone has terrible reception,
    Your holding it wrong.
    But theyre still selling.

Steve

Uncomplicating
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 133318 wrote:
    My iphone has terrible reception,
    Your holding it wrong.
    But theyre still selling.

Steve

iPhone is the premium band, but the Wikipedia entry for Smartphones has some interesting reading.

Uncomplicating
    Up

A little more on this from BusinessInsider.

History does seem to repeat itself.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 133326 wrote:
    iPhone is the premium band, but the Wikipedia entry for Smartphones has some interesting reading.

The surprising news for me in that wikipedia entry is the steady popularity of symbian; consistenty stronger than iphone even since iphones first release. Its only in 1st qtr of 2012 that it has begun to lag behind iphone.

The scary news was the (expected) increase of malware on smartphones. (time to download some AV)

The interesting news is that Android has been exponentially outselling iphone since 2010. iphone fans are definitely more vocal. Looking at the figures it reminds me of a football match where 10% of the fans are going for 1 team but theyre the only ones you can hear cheering. (real figures taken from 2011)

Steve

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 133396 wrote:
    A little more on this from BusinessInsider.

History does seem to repeat itself.
    This:

the company has to worry about the signals it is sending in terms of quality as they may lead some customers to sit on the sideline (when quality at Microsoft started dropping, common wisdom became that you didn’t buy a Microsoft product until its 4th iteration)

Can definitely seeing that come to be if they’re not careful. I’m pretty sure MS had it’s own “fanboys” in the earlier days who eventually came to be put off by their buggy new releases.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 133412 wrote:
    The surprising news for me in that wikipedia entry is the steady popularity of symbian; consistenty stronger than iphone even since iphones first release. Its only in 1st qtr of 2012 that it has begun to lag behind iphone.

The reason for this is that Blackberry was the de facto standard for industry, and industry is much slower moving than the commercial market. Changing platform when you have a few thousand users using the same device is a major undertaking. Changing when it’s just you is easy.

The interesting news is that Android has been exponentially outselling iphone since 2010. iphone fans are definitely more vocal. Looking at the figures it reminds me of a football match where 10% of the fans are going for 1 team but they’re the only ones you can hear cheering. (real figures taken from 2011)

Lots of hardware supporting Android results in competition which forces a cheaper price. But this also dilutes the concept, leaving only the geeks to get agitated about an operation system rather than Apple users who’ve bought a phone, operating system and ultimately a “religion”.

I saw an Apple store an hour before it opened its door for the first time. There were 200 people queueing to get in and they were being whipped in to a frenzy by guys on a mic chanting Apple slogans and so on.

Crazy stuff. Looked more like a cult than a new retail outlet.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 133425 wrote:
    The reason for this is that Blackberry was the de facto standard for industry, and industry is much slower moving than the commercial market. Changing platform when you have a few thousand users using the same device is a major undertaking. Changing when it’s just you is easy.
    Symbian = Nokia, not Blackberry.

And Nokia was by far the leading phone seller for many years, and still has a huge foothold in the cheap phones within developing countries, hence why it has still been such a high seller for so many years. But Android is starting to make big inroads into this market too (speaking as someone that just bought a cheap Android phone in Peru ;) ).

Uncomplicating
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 133429 wrote:
    Symbian = Nokia, not Blackberry.

And Nokia was by far the leading phone seller for many years, and still has a huge foothold in the cheap phones within developing countries, hence why it has still been such a high seller for so many years. But Android is starting to make big inroads into this market too (speaking as someone that just bought a cheap Android phone in Peru ;) ).

I really should concentrate on one thing at a time. It would stop me writing gibberish like that.

Thank you for correcting me.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

NP, we all do it.

evti
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    The interesting news is that Android has been exponentially outselling iphone since 2010. iphone fans are definitely more vocal. Looking at the figures it reminds me of a football match where 10% of the fans are going for 1 team but theyre the only ones you can hear cheering. (real figures taken from 2011)

It’s hard to classify “Android” as a type of phone like the iPhone is, since there are so many flavours of Android, that almost no two phone manufacturers use the same type. It’s strange in that sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.