Home – New Forums Starting your journey Non-compete contract ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mrgraeme
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

Has any would had any experience with getting a non-compete contract for employees to sign to prevent them from stealing customers/clients?

If so, how did you go about getting one?

Cheers

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up
    Mrgraeme, post: 160178 wrote:
    Hi there,

Has any would had any experience with getting a non-compete contract for employees to sign to prevent them from stealing customers/clients?

If so, how did you go about getting one?

Cheers

It should be a term in their employment agreement.

Mrgraeme
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    Kennethti, post: 160226 wrote:
    It should be a term in their employment agreement.

Thanks for your reply. Should i get a solicitor to write this?

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up

It’s probably a good idea to – a non competition clause must be “fair” enough to ensure that you just want to protect your business and you are not depriving your employee from earning a livelihood.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Kennethti, post: 160240 wrote:
    It’s probably a good idea to – a non competition clause must be “fair” enough to ensure that you just want to protect your business and you are not depriving your employee from earning a livelihood.

Hey Kenneth

Love the reply.. so succinct,,, in a previous incarnation i was ‘advised’ to sign a non compete clause with exclusions etc etc although it was deemed unenforceable as my career was that industry and the clause prevented me from making a livelihood…

Not sure how you work in the law.,,, too complicated, my head hurts if i ever try and ‘understand’… best left to the experts to draft this stuff up Mr Graeme…

Cheers
    Jason ;)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up

Solicitor is a good idea.

There are a huge number of cases on this over a long period of time.

Need to balance what you want with what would stand up in Court. If you demand too long a solicitor will look at it and tell them that it is not enforceable anyway.

D

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

Definitely get a lawyer. In a previous life I was an engineer and non-compete clauses were standard fare in all employment contracts that I signed. I found out later that most of what I signed was completely unenforceable and was nothing short of an attempted restriction of trade on behalf of my employers.

AdamKreuzer
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Graeme,

My company, World HR, provides fully outsourced ‘HR Department’ services to businesses of all shapes and sizes. One of our specialties is reviewing and safeguarding your employment contracts to ensure that the intent of the terms and conditions are in line with what you are wanting to achieve. For example, restraining employees from working with competitors etc. Really need to make sure the intent is accurate.

If you would like us to help, just let me know.

Cheers,

Adam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.