Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Not being negative but is small business finished?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    johannpsaila
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    ::
    bb1, post: 263555, member: 53375 wrote:
    Why? Who should give the support?

If people are going to start a small business they should do the research, and only start if it is viable.

Some small business’s only survive because of government support, they should be rubbed out, why should my tax money go to supporting someone else who is incapable of running a business.

Do you really control your tax
    Money? Money better spent supporting dole
    Or pay rises for policstians?

Support can be in means of lowering taxable incomes for small business – one thing that is hurting Australia business is TAX and reducement in red tape (a big one)

johannpsaila
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    RunicConvenience, post: 263556, member: 112020 wrote:
    Hmm, when you say support what do you mean, should the government be artificially holding up dead businesses to “Help”? I mean overall there is tons of information on the government sites what more would you need support to get started

Information yes but what about reduction in red tape?

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186
    Up

see I have issues understanding red tape. as it is overly used to define any legal process. for example is the Health and Safety requirements for say restuarants “redtape” even though it is sometimes expensive and should be common sense?

and if they remove say something you deem as “useless” but then something happens that was previously blocked by this “red tape”. who would everyone blame the business that did something ill advised or the government that allowed such practices to occur.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Great replies from every one.. even though I work for a medium sized enterprise I think there should be more support for small business.

Unlike some others I agree with you.

But my problem with small business is that they don’t act as one. Big business has money and resources so they can push their agendas. Small business sits down and complains they don’t get a fair go.

Half+ of employees work in small business. That’s a big faction if they were organized.

for example is the Health and Safety requirements for say restuarants “redtape” even though it is sometimes expensive and should be common sense?

That’s a great example.

I am connected with many food safety people on LinkedIn. Many of their discussions revolve around allergens and food labelling of such. Someone dies because they are allergic to nuts or something and it wasn’t labelled, and the knives come out that the laws need to be stricter.

While tragic, do you know that more people in the US die from falling out of bed than do due to food allergies?

Another example would be the great “onions on the bottom” debate. No common sense there, just sensation.

We have a society that bleats when there is no regulation and then complains again when there is too much. So we err on the side of caution and have too much I reckon.

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi

My take is as follows on small business.

11 years ago I began my public accounting practice in Melbourne after doing the rounds as a temporary accountant for a number of agencies for 12 years previously.

The key principle I learned very quickly was that in order to survive and thrive the small business and its owner must be adaptable to changes.

Whether it be accountants, IT people, marketing, trades, services or anything. What I did 11 years ago is not completed in precisely the same manner or methods as those methods employed today.

For example, cloud online accounts software that’s all the rage with accountants these days was not in existence ten years or eleven years ago.

Old methods get replaced and newer methods become available. Nothing stays the same.

One project I’m currently planning out is a set of changes to my business online presence.

Especially the copy on my website, which is very general or bland in nature to the point the current copy is too ambiguous.

I credit one man on this forum for daringly providing constructive feedback on this .Hi Bert!

The moral of the story is people are the focus of small business and not more money. Yes I actually said this as an accountant!

If people just stopped to realise money is a tool to live and not life itself , they’d be happy.

So to answer your question, small business is not dead.

It’s evolving.

Steve

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Johny, post: 263575, member: 34822 wrote:
    While tragic, do you know that more people in the US die from falling out of bed than do due to food allergies?

This may be correct, but having a relative who has come very close to leaving this world on at least 2 occasions, because some clown in a restaurant fed him food which wasn’t supposed to have nuts, but did, I fully support a regulation or red tape. If you decide to fall out of your bed, thats your decision, but if you eat contaminated food thats totally out of your hands.

There are the things you have control over, and those that other have control over. I’m for even more regulation when it comes to food safety or issues where actions a business can take, which could seriously impact on their clients lifes

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    johannpsaila, post: 263565, member: 38367 wrote:
    Information yes but what about reduction in red tape?

And what red tape do you suggest.

Business jumps up and down about red tape, but when you actually ask someone to specify which red tape, they normally can’t name something.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    steve201, post: 263584, member: 13649 wrote:
    I credit one man on this forum for daringly providing constructive feedback on this .Hi Bert!

Ok it’s time for me to close my account, I am mostly criticised for giving feedback because people don’t want to hear the bad things, only the positive things, like my local FB page, you can only give good reviews, not negative reviews. Even the admins (or should that be singular) often get upset about my feedback.

But at the end of the day if all we say is positive, we aren’t actually helping our fellow business owners, we are just helping them to go out of business quicker.

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi Bert

If people like I didn’t respond positively constructive feedback simply because it’s “ bad” or “ out of line”, then I might as well wind this show up and do something different with my time.

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Steve

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

There are the things you have control over, and those that other have control over. I’m for even more regulation when it comes to food safety or issues where actions a business can take, which could seriously impact on their clients lifes

They have control – stay at home.They shouldn’t be expected to miss out because of their allergy – You say?

That’s the problem with taking an extreme side. Reality is you cannot be insulated from everything. There will always be things like accidents and negligence and even the best plans don’t provide guarantees.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.