Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Not entirely sure where to start

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sashaS
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi,

My name is Sasha, I’m not far off turning 31 years old and I currently work in the railway industry as a Track Force Protection Officer (sounds way more exciting that it actually is!) in Melbourne. Most of the work I do is within the construction side of track protection for the Level Crossing Removals. After spending the past few years working close with construction workers/companies and many hours in the crib room listening, I’m very aware of the fact that Victorias infrastructure boom has the need for many more unskilled and skilled labour hands and its common among all the sites i have been on that there is a shortage of bodies.

I have seen a few small labour hire companies come and go for various reasons so there is obviously huge risk but at the same time I know there is huge rewards possible.

So it brings me here, I’m wanting to start my own labour hire company and utilise what i know to capitalise on this boom. I’m just not sure where to start as for getting the advice i need legally.

If any of you have any tips or possibly people who i could talk to i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Sasha

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    sashaS, post: 263421, member: 113236 wrote:
    Hi,

My name is Sasha, I’m not far off turning 31 years old and I currently work in the railway industry as a Track Force Protection Officer (sounds way more exciting that it actually is!) in Melbourne. Most of the work I do is within the construction side of track protection for the Level Crossing Removals. After spending the past few years working close with construction workers/companies and many hours in the crib room listening, I’m very aware of the fact that Victorias infrastructure boom has the need for many more unskilled and skilled labour hands and its common among all the sites i have been on that there is a shortage of bodies.

I have seen a few small labour hire companies come and go for various reasons so there is obviously huge risk but at the same time I know there is huge rewards possible.

So it brings me here, I’m wanting to start my own labour hire company and utilise what i know to capitalise on this boom. I’m just not sure where to start as for getting the advice i need legally.

If any of you have any tips or possibly people who i could talk to i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Sasha

I would start with the Victorian government small business advise site for general business advise

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/

And then someone with more industry business experience.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Along with advice from@bb1 I would also talk to an insurance broker.

Good luck with your research.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    sashaS, post: 263421, member: 113236 wrote:

My other tip in addition to what I said earlier is, start questioning why the others have failed, and ask why would you do any better, just because you have worked through or with hire firms it doesn’t mean you can do any better then the failed business’s. In fact you are most likely 10 steps behind them as it appears you have no experience in that field.

The bigger the rewards the bigger the risks.

Like anything the current boom in infrastructure is just one election or world wide downturn from being an infrastructure crash, are you prepared for that. Look at whats happened in WA.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.