Home – New Forums Tech talk Now you can be Facebook ‘liked’ all over the internet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    TheWebExpert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

Announced this morning by the CEO of Facebook, a suite of Facebook social functions will now be available to integrate into existing websites.

This is a huge move.

The advantage for website owners is that now, people can like your page/content/items, and directly do a Facebook from YOUR website to their Facebook page. The opportunity for businesses to get more exposure via this is very big.

This competes right up against Buzz, and Retweet.

V

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    danb
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

This competes right up against Buzz, and Retweet.[/CODE]

Competing with Buzz isn’t that hard… That’s been a major flop for google.[CODE] This competes right up against Buzz, and Retweet.[/CODE]

Competing with Buzz isn’t that hard… That’s been a major flop for google.

The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Yes forget Buzz.

But this Facebook development could be HUGE!

cheers, Eric G.

TheWebExpert
    Up

Well it is extra worrying for Google.

And a boon for businesses that use this in a clever way.
    Facebook now has much more powerful analytical data they can provide. Not only will you know where visitors came from, but Facebook has the potential to tell you what sex those people are, what age bracket, etc.

Yes, this is a highly strategic move on Facebooks part.

V

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I think it’s a pretty cool idea!

You can see more info here: http://developers.facebook.com/plugins

I put in the footer of our page just to see how it looks: http://frontbox.com.au

Good move on FB’s part.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Ed Dale was tweeting about this today.
    Check out his post:

http://www.eddale.co/general/facebook-bombshell-how-did-everyone-miss-this-facebook-f8

@MatthewKeath
    – I “liked” Frontbox! :)

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

I don’t like this, I’m on the side that’s screaming “What about privacy?” Wrote a post about it yesterday http://superwahm.com/facebook-changes-privacy-issues-and-fanpages/

What concerns me is that it’s not ‘non identifiable data’ at all – they’re putting your picture up there on the community page as liking it! How much more identifiable does it get?

I really don’t think facebook have throught through the privacy and security ramifications of this. Their community pages are not a good idea for anyone except the marketers.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Melinda

This is going to be a huge topic over the next x intervals certainly.

Here’s Robert Scoble’s take on it:

http://scobleizer.com/2010/04/22/facebook-ambition/

I had a look at my FB account, and I can’t readily see where the holes are.
    (Admittedly, I don’t use it much….. :) )

Off to revamp my FB account! :)

JayTurn
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

There are valid arguments for both sides with these new changes to Facebook.

Privacy has always been a major issue with Facebook however at the end of the day, Facebook users choose which things they like or don’t like. I could be wrong on this one but from my understanding, the same standard privacy permissions set in an individuals account still stand.

If you “like” something, you will appear on the community page as liking it. Just the same as appearing on any friend’s page under the list of friends.

I personally am more concerned about the “trusted sites” using the personal information for a better social experience. My concern isn’t about legitimate companies such as Yelp, Pandora or Microsoft using the information to open up better web experiences. My concern is if this is opened up to websites everywhere. There are tonnes of malicious sites out there that would love to get their hands on targeted data to spam people at every opportunity.

Currently sites that attach the automatic Facebook connect code do not have access to visitors information. At least that is my current understanding.

It appears as though a website owner applies the snippet of code to their page. The code checks the visitor’s browser cache for a recent Facebook cookie and connects the visitor with their Facebook to do a few things with the site. These things include seeing friends who like the page, opt to like the page themselves.

Not exactly sure what else is available at this point as I am currently digging in to the research.

My understanding is that the website owners don’t receive any of the information contained within the visitors profile at this point. I hope I am not wrong about this point because otherwise I will be on the side of privacy breaches.

Going with my current impression I think it will be good for users and businesses. Let’s say a visitor has come across your site in their search for a product. They see 3-4 of their friends like the product on your site. Suddenly word of mouth business is developed without the visitor having to ask friends. However, this visitor decides to ask those friends what they thought of the product via Facebook.

As the friends like the page, they give glowing reviews and helps encourage the sale. Two things have occurred. One, the user has more confidence in their purchase because their friends said it was good. Two, the business has found another way to develop word of mouth business. The business continues to do right by their customers and they will see improvement in sales.

Update: Ok at this point it seems the following data can be stored indefinitely by Facebook developers, anything else still has its 24hr limit. Following information found at http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Storable_Data

User ID
    Photo album ID
    Event ID
    User’s email address
    friend list ID
    Group ID
    Marketplace listing ID
    Primary network ID
    Total number of notes written by the user
    Facebook Page ID
    Photo ID
    post ID
    Placeholder email addresses for your users
    Time that the user’s profile was last updated

JayTurn
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Another update on this because I think these changes are important to the future of social interaction with customers.

At a press conference just after the F8 announcements, Mark Zuckerberg states that when websites bring up the permission request box, private information will need to be listed on a line by line basis.

So, the website can access and store your public information with the general permission. However, if they are requesting permission that you have set to private, they must inform you in the permission box that they will be accessing that information.

If you have set your email address to private, it will need to be listed in the permission box and you will be asked for the permission to access that information.

Source of the video can be found here http://scobleizer.com/2010/04/22/facebook-ambition/

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 35890 wrote:
    I think it’s a pretty cool idea!

You can see more info here: http://developers.facebook.com/plugins

I put in the footer of our page just to see how it looks: http://frontbox.com.au

Good move on FB’s part.

Woohoo Matt, that looks cool on your page!!

TheWebExpert
    Up

There are a few “sign in” script/apps out there.
    I have used a few different ones.

Up until now, you have needed to create an application and use an App ID, and Secret Key, to tell Facebook who you were (ie, they then had a track of the website who was requesting user info, and who the person on Facebook was)
    When the user gave permission, Facebook would send a whole string of info, mostly what is in a users Profile – if it was public. To get access to the users email address, the Facebook user needed to be asked specifically.

I see not much has changed from a privacy stance, from what was already possible for many many months.

V

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Great move, as always Facebook!

@Melinda
    – I don’t think this is invading anyones privacy, if you don’t want your photo / name listed – Don’t “like” it, simple as that.

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    Emroy, post: 35952 wrote:
    Great move, as always Facebook!

@Melinda
    – I don’t think this is invading anyones privacy, if you don’t want your photo / name listed – Don’t “like” it, simple as that.
    Not quite that simple. With the new community pages – that are going to be used by marketers – if I write in my status “I just bought a new horse” then it will link my profile with the community page for horse lovers.

Anyone else who is also on the page can see me. Not just my friends, which is what my current security setting is. That concerns me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.