Home – New Forums Tech talk Odesk – Outsource your business needs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mitchs Gardening
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I just thought I’d post about a website I use daily. I use it for all of my graphic designs, ebooks, web content, articles, web design etc. You can get some good quality providers for really cheap rates (if you no where to look – and have the time and patience to sift through them).

For example I had my website built and designed (all graphics text, completely original joomla template – basically built from scratch) for about $500. Now compared to what I was quoted by local developers that is a massive saving!

Anyway check it out

odesk.com

Also if you want to see the standard of work that I achieved for $500 heres my site

mitchsgardening.com.au

Cheers

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I’m not really a fan of having prices pushed down so dramatically.

Quite a number of years ago, I used to be a website designer. I was constantly competing with places like Odesk with people charging $5-15 an hour, or some high school student with no qualifications who would do it for the same price.

Sure, with proper education and enough time and investment spent educating people, I could get them to come around… But it got to the stage where I was doing that with every sale and it just wasn’t worthwhile.

Wouldn’t it be a shame if the same thing happened to all our web designers on these forums!

– Jake

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

And one more thing…

I’m not expert in SEO (I used to work in the design component of websites) but just at first glance I can tell that your website is breaking about 5 or so basic SEO rules… I’m sure there are a lot more that a professional can pick up.

I hope the saving of a few hundred dollars was worth losing, potentially a few hundred clients from Google ;)

– Jake

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I don’t like Odesk either.

Like others have said, competing against people prepared to do 3 hours work for $5 an hour is ridiculous.

I gave up with it after a couple of months, like Jake I got fed up of putting in great bits only to see the job go elsewhere based purely on the bottom line.

And to be honest I don’t have much respect for people prepared to only pay someone $15 for three hours transcribing work. I don’t see any difference between this and buying clothes that have been produced in a sweat shop.

JMHO

bridiej
    Up
    Emroy, post: 61776 wrote:
    And one more thing…

I’m not expert in SEO (I used to work in the design component of websites) but just at first glance I can tell that your website is breaking about 5 or so basic SEO rules… I’m sure there are a lot more that a professional can pick up.

I hope the saving of a few hundred dollars was worth losing, potentially a few hundred clients from Google ;)

– Jake

I agree, SEO doesn’t seem to have been taken into account at all.

To the OP – do some SEO research and get your site optimised otherwise no-one will ever see it!

This is a good place to start http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/talking-technology/11302-outranking-your-competitors-search-engine-optimization-help.html

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Woah… I don’t know where to begin!

There’s such a bad mix of cartoon, illustration, and anime in that design – it really is confusing!

Look it’s already been said, you saved a penny on your website – which, for your information, is one of your biggest & most important marketing assets you’ll ever own. On the flip side, that website is losing you customers.

I don’t really care though, you’ll learn as everyone does. Lutrov has a business motto, “I fix $500 websites” – I love that one. I fix $500 websites too, while those who bought the $500 website are sad because they’ve wasted time & money and lost customers – all to end up paying the amount they didn’t want to pay with in the beginning.

It’s a life cycle… New business, cheap out on marketing/etc, struggle for two years, eventually do things right.

zhenjie
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

A lot of these outsourcing bashers sound like one Mr Gerry Harvey.

Buying locally doesn’t mean quality assured.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I don’t care if you want to outsource, I’ve even done it before! Sometimes you do just want a cheap/nasty job done.

What upsets me is that one would then compare that to locally quoted services.

Why buy Rolex, when you can buy an imitation R0lex from Bali? It’s a massive saving!

bridiej
    Up

Who said anything about buying locally?

I think the general gist of the replies is you get what you pay for.

Apples1
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Buying locally will support our economy (But really consider the impact you have when buying from overseas from Nilesh in India who doesn’t live in a country with an economy as strong as ours? Your generally making there economy better on a scale that wouldn’t compare to the impact you have on ours)

Nilesh in India’s ability to program is no worse off then Tom in Sydney, Nilesh went to university for three years studying website design he’s just as capable as anyone else. And may i just add something that some of you would already know, it’s extremely difficult for someone who isn’t interested or have the technical ability to build a fantastic site let alone complete one. generally web designer no matter where they are from do it because there great at it.

Now imagine if India had never been able to get all of those outsourced contracts to look after IT systems or Telemarketers or support lines for really cheap rates. Our economy wouldn’t have changed much and India’s economy wouldn’t be as strong as it has gotten, the same goes with the Philippines.

Typically if you have a lot of money then you can use local resources if not there’s no issue with outsourcing your business services overseas, you are still capable of getting great quality services. But you just have to remember to really take care in who you select, look at there previous work and even ask for references.

zhenjie
    Up
    bridiej, post: 61798 wrote:
    Who said anything about buying locally?

I think the general gist of the replies is you get what you pay for.

So what is the logic behind that? Just because you pay someone cheaper overseas you get cheaper and lower quality work? I can see where the general gist is pointing towards and its just so blatantly inaccurate and from the looks of it comes from people who’s income and jobs are threatened by overseas workers. Way to much bias if you ask me.

You get low quality work from locals and overseas. You get great quality work from locals and overseas. Its a matter of finding the right people.

bridiej
    Up

In this specific example (i.e. the website):

OP has paid $500. For the sake of argument let’s assume an Australian-based web designer would have charged $1,500 for a new website package.

OP has purchased what he thinks is a bargain – he’s got what he thinks is a fantastic site for a third of what an Australian-based web designer would have charged him.

BUT

The site isn’t seach engine optimised AT ALL, even basic things are missing.

Had the OP stuck his hand in his pocket and paid an Australian-based web designer the full amount he would have got not only a fantastic site but it would have also had some search engine optimisation carried out as well (possibly even completely optimised). I know this for a fact as I’ve just had my website redesigned and, even though I did the content myself, some keyword research was carried out and certain aspects of SEO were sorted for me.

Yes, local people can do a bad job just as someone from another country can but are you seriously suggesting that paying $500 for a website offshore the OP has ended up with as good a product as he would have received had he chosen a local web designer?

And yes, I’ve seen first hand the results of work that’s been done for $5 or $10 an hour and I’ve had to spend time correcting it – the end result is the client pays more than he would have done if he’d come to me in the first place.

And I agree, it is a matter of finding the right people, word of mouth and networking are great tools and should be utilised more frequently. :)

zhenjie
    Up
    bridiej, post: 61824 wrote:
    Yes, local people can do a bad job just as someone from another country can but are you seriously suggesting that paying $500 for a website offshore the OP has ended up with as good a product as he would have received had he chosen a local web designer?

No one can answer that, because there is no guarantee to the quality of work delivered from a local contracter. You could get a worse looking website for $1.5k from MANY providers, you could get better ones. Its not white or blacka answer I’m afraid.

Not sure why you are factoring SEO so much with the web design, perhaps the quote didn’t include SEO in the scope. The OPs site is based on Joomla anyway, it can easily be optimized with any of the readily available extensions like sh404sef or even manually. It’s up to the owner of the site to optimize the SEO for the keywords and market he is aiming for, not a web designer. I pay web designers to design my site, not very often to optimize it for SEO. Pay people for what they are skilled at. And yes, I’ve seen local companies charge thousands for sites with no SEO optimization.

Like I said there are no set rules to say local is always better, it’s so naive to think so and to assume a local person would have delivered a better job for this project.

zhenjie
    Up
    adam, post: 0 wrote:
    I would prefer my children didnt grow up in a country with a crippled economy.

Got any reports or studies to validate that outsourcing has crippled any country’s economy? Not trying to start an argument on that particular topic, just genuinely interested into why you think it has or would potentially cripple an economy.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Totally agree with what a lot of the other people are saying in this thread; it’s not the worst $500 job I’ve seen….. but there are still a lot of things wrong with it…

• SEO as others have said
    • Site is not completely CSS, has a lot of table coding
    • On services page, no “right margin” on images

That’s just what I got from having a quick look around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.