Home – New Forums Tech talk Odesk – Outsource your business needs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ::
    Aymeric, post: 66239 wrote:
    This is why you should only outsource offshore non critical areas of your business (web design, web admin, user support in a later stage, web marketing, etc…)

Totally agree… but when looking at massive $$ savings, people tend to overlook or forget the potential pitfalls. And they’re also still happy to use lower offshore prices to try and drive down local outsourcing services.

Aymeric, post: 66239 wrote:
    Regarding this thread, a lot of people seem to confuse outsourcing and offshoring.

There certainly is a distinct difference, but Odesk (which was the outsourcing site mentioned in the initial thread) appears to be largely offshore operators.

The confusion does give outsourcing a bad rep, however.

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 66234 wrote:
    While I can see how something like web design could be considered a universal skill, would you feel comfortable if your accountant outsourced your accounts to a foreign company?

Some Australian Accountants are already outsourcing accounts to foreign companies.

Webthread
    Participant
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Outsourcing has helped my business.

Those clients that want a website built for $500 don’t call and waste hours of my time anymore!!

It’s perfect, the people that aren’t going to be good for my business are fitted to a budget that suits them. The people that want to make an impact in OUR market know that someone in Uzbekistan probably doesn’t have the know how to achieve what a local company does.

I feel for the poster of this thread though. You got a $500 website that is worth probably $500. If that suits your needs good on you… bargain!

For those that are getting burned on $4000 sites… that sucks for people like me that do my job well. Advice – Get at least 3 proposals and if web designers aren’t stipulating –
    tabless design
    SEO implementation that includes…
    valid code
    etc…
    DON’T HIRE THEM!!

Finally, I have a brilliant PHP programmer in China who I met on O-desk. I pay him $40 an hour to solve the problems I can’t. He is worth $120per hr but my $40 is $120 to him. In saying that if I need to build a complicated CMS then I hire a local company @$120 per hour.

The biggest problem for our local web design industry is – Local companies charging $500 for a websites and acting like they’re getting a top quality site.

sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up

Just checking out the ‘TaskArmy’ website and found this.
    http://taskarmy.com/tasks/214-give-you-15k-backlinks
    15,000 backlinks for $49 …

Wow … how do they do that ???

iamsparro
    • Total posts: 65
    Up
    bridiej, post: 61824 wrote:
    In this specific example (i.e. the website):

OP has paid $500. For the sake of argument let’s assume an Australian-based web designer would have charged $1,500 for a new website package.

OP has purchased what he thinks is a bargain – he’s got what he thinks is a fantastic site for a third of what an Australian-based web designer would have charged him.

BUT

The site isn’t seach engine optimised AT ALL, even basic things are missing.

Had the OP stuck his hand in his pocket and paid an Australian-based web designer the full amount he would have got not only a fantastic site but it would have also had some search engine optimisation carried out as well (possibly even completely optimised). I know this for a fact as I’ve just had my website redesigned and, even though I did the content myself, some keyword research was carried out and certain aspects of SEO were sorted for me.

Do you really think that EVERY web designer in Australia builds sites that are SEO-friendly? I work in SEO and if this was true, I probably wouldn’t have a job :)

I actually think very few designers and developers, particularly, have any interest in SEO, let alone skill.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 66913 wrote:
    Just checking out the ‘TaskArmy’ website and found this.
    15,000 backlinks for $49 …

Wow … how do they do that ???
    I question whether they do.

Google only reports links to TaskArmy from 3 other websites and Yahoo only 24. Why don’t they use there own service?

Maybe they do…

Caveat emptor.
    Regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

I have no problem with low priced website production offers whether from overseas or local.

My concern is that most business owners have no idea what they are buying nor why.

The result is that most end up feeling ripped-off when the truth eventually dawns. Most of the $billions that has ever been spent on websites over the years has been wasted and I imagine this $500 website may be another small contribution to the constantly growing total.

With the greatest respect to the site owner, it does not matter what your site costs, what it looks like, what it says on its pages nor what content management system is behind it. If noone visits it nor contacts the business owner as a result, they have blown their website dollars.

I can say with a great deal of certainty that this site is missing out on attracting new business in a big way.

Let’s turn the discussion around…

I use this type of service and it costs me best part of $1,000 per year. If I’m happy with it, I could be using it for many years. I don’t know the turnover rate in this industry, let me assume it is 5 years. Based on this assumption, a customer has a $5,000 life-long value.

The question is, how much are you willing to invest in acquiring each new $5,000 customer?

This site is unlikely to attract many. For a start, I don’t see it listed in the top 100 sites ranked for “gardening services Perth”. I tried a couple of the surburbs in Perth listed on the site without finding it in the top 100.

Even if I did, it doesn’t tell visitors where the services are offered and that is enough to indicate it will lose visitors even if they do land on the site.

Google makes $billions in Adword revenue from website owners who make decisions based on what is the cheapest site to produce and FS is full of “I found this cheap website production service” discusions. The most likely attribute of a “cheap” website is that most people that use it will waste their money.

Making money via Internet communications has the best chance of success if you find someone with the expertise to help you market your business online. That most likely means you need someone in at least the same country and probably in the same city.

Regs,
    JohnW

Charm
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Let’s take a look at this from a small business owners perspective.

Over worked, hard to find time to work on the business rather than in it. Cash flow is tight.

The business owner has work but would like some more, their clients/potential clients keep asking if they have a website, so they can tell their friends about Mitch’s Gardening because they were happy with the service.

So Mitch needs a basic website for $500 up fast and does not know anything about websites/online marketing.

Well done Mitch for taking the first of many steps to market your business!

The next step would be to build on this and correct the SEO. Let’s not forget that Mitch may be working long hours, managing staff, doing the books etc.

Perhaps the third step (once Mitch has improved his marketing knowledge) is to add a special offer to the website – now that the SEO has improved and the site is ranking for the required keywords.

Well done Mitch – this may take him six months.

The motivation and spirit behind this business owner is commendable.

We don’t all always get it right. We may try ten different marketing campaigns/tools and get great results with only two.

Let’s encourage more small business owners to have a website and let’s not forget that when Mitch is ready to upgrade his website it may be a $3000 site provided by a great website developer from Flying Solo that may like to correct the SEO for free and secure the higher paying job of the upgrade.

Have a great week everyone.

ps My new website launches in a month when I return from holiday in Europe just in case you were wondering why their is no site listed under my details.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.