Home – New Forums Starting your journey Office Cleaning Business Questions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    paul77
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I’m a new joiner and also a cleaning business owner,but only one year. I’m very conscientious to read this thread and it very benefit to me. I have a question about that,how to get commercial contract(such as office,club,shop,etc,i have only one commercial customer now which is introduced by one of my domestic customer.Now i want to extend my business but i have limited ways to do that. So i want to know more methods to approch it,thanks.

rjclean
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Burgo,

Thank you for your welcome and words of wisdom.

For a long time I have been regretting the loss of my business, and angry at myself the most. You’re right, about picking myself up and starting over. I did it once, I can do it again.

Your advice on how to advertise, and how much to charge is also much appreciated. Regarding carpet cleaning, I used to recommend a friend who had a carpet cleaning business, to my clients as I had limited experience and no equipment, which was probably another mistake and possibly generated more business for him. That will change this time round. I will definitely be a regular here and keep all informed.

Paul,

Burgo has provided a good place to start sourcing clients by advertising in the local papers, and creating a good website. Ask your existing client if he/she can recommend you to their business contacts, start networking, cold canvassing and introducing yourself to local businesses.

Thanks and good luck
    rj

neanee
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I am new to this thread and are also starting up a cleaning business, I already have another business currently running so know the ins and outs of how to prepare one with business names etc.

What I am wanting to know from another cleaning business owner is where do you get the documents such as client agreements, invoices etc, I can make up the standard one’s like fax, invoice and all those but was just wondering about price structure and client agreement, I know some companies will have their own but if they don’t I will need to also have one.

Hope someone can help.

Credit Manager
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    neanee, post: 24338 wrote:
    What I am wanting to know from another cleaning business owner is where do you get the documents such as client agreements, invoices etc, I can make up the standard one’s like fax, invoice and all those but was just wondering about price structure and client agreement, I know some companies will have their own but if they don’t I will need to also have one.

Hope someone can help.

Hi neanee,
    If you don’t get a reply from another cleaning business, I can help you with quotation forms, invoices, credit applications and your terms of trade (client agreement) if you like.
    Take a look at my site and drop me a line if you would like to have a chat.
    Paul

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Hi neanee and welcome to this fantastic forum.

The only place I know of is ACCA australiancleaningcontractors association, John Laws seems to have all the answers on contract cleaning and the various forms. Membership is around $ 260.00 per year but the best investment you will make.

Burgo
    Participant
    Up
    paul77, post: 24235 wrote:
    I’m a new joiner and also a cleaning business owner,but only one year. I’m very conscientious to read this thread and it very benefit to me. I have a question about that,how to get commercial contract(such as office,club,shop,etc,i have only one commercial customer now which is introduced by one of my domestic customer.Now i want to extend my business but i have limited ways to do that. So i want to know more methods to approch it,thanks.

Paul77, welcome to the forum. If you realy want to get into that area you will hav to sart by knocking on doors, talking to the right peole and having some form of presentation, unless you have contacts. A very hard market to break into and a very easy market to be kicked out of. You may even need to have a team of cleaners to be able to do the amount of work required in the time allocated for cleaning.

Start by visiting your local shopping centre and the independent shops along the street. Small clubs such as surf clubs bowling clubs, that are independent of any other club.

Approach offices small manufacturing factories and placing an advert in your local newspaper, in the trades section and leave it there even if at first it doesnt make any money.

You unfortunately have to start small and build up your business and your reputation.

Hope that helps

paul77
    Up
    Burgo, post: 24498 wrote:
    Hi Burgo,thank you for your help.I’m doing my domestic cleaning business and looking forword a chance to get more commercial cleaning contract.But it’s hard as u said,it require more reputation than residential cleaning.Anyway thanks again,i’ll come here frequently and hope get some help from it.
    neanee
    Up

Thankyou for the information, what I am also wondering is how will I work the cleaning business I am starting. I also run another business as a sole trader under my abn and was just going to run this cleaning business under the same abn but not set up as a company. What I am wondering is how I would set it up so that if any disputes happen in this business that I have myself covered and that they are unable to touch my property so to speak. I know there is some way of setting up so that if this happens a claim is not able to be made on your home. (hope you understand what I mean)

I don’t plan on making over 50k in my first year but was also wondering if I should register for gst or just wait, if I set it up straight away It wont matter anyway would it.

• Total posts: 151
    Up

Starting a cleaning business

Running a cleaning business seems to interest a lot of new business owners which brings in its own problems. The number of competitors that you have to position yourself against. Yet they all seem to offer the same services, and therefore you end up trying to get work by lowering your price to the point only substandard employees will work for your wages.

If you are serious about working in the commercial cleaning business you need to understand how tendering and contracts work.

• Tendering requires you to have strong OHS systems and equipment
    • Most commercial contracts specify that you pay the Industry Award for your cleaners
    • You will need Police Checks done for all your employees
    • Cleaners will need to have formal training in Cleaning
    • How will you supervise/check their work

To the poster that has one business already registered, and wants to register another one to protect themselves from liability; If you are a sole trader then your ABN applies to them all anyway. If you have a company or other structure it will have its own ABN, so you will need a new one for your new business unless you formally bring it into the other entity someway.

I would have thought that the best way to protect yourself is to do the right things in business so you are okay.

The cash in hand aspect of cleaning does exist, and if you decide to pay your employees/contractors off the books, you must accept the consequences. If you decide to pay cash, consider this;
    > Employees can be awarded up to 6 years of backpay if they have been underpaid by an employer.
    >Each breach of the Workplace Relations Act can fine your business $33,000
    >An employee who is paid cash, is not covered by workcover insurance. This means that you will be fined for not having workcover insurance in addition to the fines and compensations from Worksafe for failing to follow OHS. As an employer you must still comply with OHS relating to people in your business.
    > Any reason given to make a Government Auditor look at your business, will often bring them all in [Worksafe, Union, Taxation, Immigration, and even Police] so think carefully before saving money by paying cash.

neanee
    Up

I have a couple more questions sorry! :-)

To all the cleaning business owners on here did you do the asset management course before starting work?

and if you are starting your business and plan on just doing the work yourself until the work builds up, what is required? insurance, workcover insurance?? I want to make sure I haven’t forgotten anything?

Is there any insurance company in particular that is better to go through?

Thks

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Two insurances are a must Liability-products and a Sickness and accident insurance. The first protects you against accidental damage and the second one protects you should you have an accident.
    Over 24 years the only insurance claimed was for an accident. I went to sleep at the wheel of a vehicle doing 110 klmph.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    Burgo, post: 36279 wrote:
    Over 24 years the only insurance claimed was for an accident. I went to sleep at the wheel of a vehicle doing 110 klmph.

And it was a pretty bad facial reconstruction as well….jeez, you look just like Kevin 07

Martine
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

The only thing i will say is how reliable are those cleaners going to be? You want people who are reliable and will turn up on time. Imo, you and your business partner (am assuming you have one, if not, abbreviate to just you) should do most of the cleaning yourself to start with.

And, to rjclean, whenever you get the urge to “help” somebody, stop and think about the consequences.

LILCZ
    Up

Hi Patrick & Everyone

Thank you so much for the ideas and help & support that is on this forum.

I, like many of you want to start up my own cleaning business, and the first step I will be taking is sitting an ASSET MAINTENANCE COURSE which Patrick recommends, so I can know the Ins & Outs of the cleaning industry, but not only this but to know the book work which is important i think for when in negotiations with clients.

I thought cleaning was easy as picking up a vacuum & mop, going to the local businesses and asking them when do they want me to come around and start cleaning.hahaha..But I feel when one has Learning and Experience one can make way more money.

Thank you so much for this forum & for everyones ideas and input on this. I look forward to being qualified & coming back to this forum to share some things with you all as you have with me.

LILCZ
    Up

@ AVATAR CONSULTING….

Thank you so much for that information. Very useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.