Home – New Forums Starting your journey Oh no Huston we may have a problem lol

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    missymoo
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

As everyone knows I have my own cleaning bizz started since feb this year and getting well known to my town , now all of a sudden everyone is starting their own cleaning bizz and wants to follow suit I really don’t know what to think of this situation.
    I know many may want to start but never make the steps to make it happen then others may start and it may not work out for them etc but wow what the hell everyone sees me being busy now they all want to do it.
    What’s your thoughts:) has a serious case of small town syndrome lol

missymoo
    Up

And the worst thing is some of these people are comming to me for advice on how to start theirs cleaning bizz, including one cleaner I hired out on my clients behalf and taught her everything I know for her to go out and try the same , she has now left the position i hired her for, my client says next time don’t teach your new cleaner so much next time.

Bensdad
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Don’t worry bout it. Competition is healthy and keeps you on the ball. At the end of the day your quality and service will shine through. Copying someone else’s idea is often a form of flattery!

erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up

You might also notice the influx now youre in the business as well – how you noticed how many more photographers have started recently? Im sure the established ones have ;)

Customers aren’t silly. If you’re doing a fantastic job, they will see the influx for what it is, and stay with you.

Competition is healthy, and obviously you are making it seem easy and profitable, so others want to follow suit. However, only the people with passion and drive will succeed, others will fall to the wayside.

Besides, it keeps you on your toes and makes sure you are doing your best job :)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

several thoughts:

1. For what it may be worth, get any staff to sign a non-compete agreement. Might not be worth the paper it’s written on…but…

2. Create the impression that the cleaning side is only part of it, the part that makes the business a success cannot be taught (which is of course true)

3. Competition means one thing, everyone is out there creating awareness of that service. As has been pointed out, there are good and not so good operators. People will try and like the concept, if not the result. This means the good ones will float the the top, like cream. This also justifies a higher price for the quality service and makes your differentiation important and worthwhile.

4. Wait for Burgo – he will know the answer!! ;)

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Thats very kind of you but what makes you think I’m the person that can help.
    Actually I see a lot of this sort of thing happening, and all I can say “Bring It On”.
    Remember they are NOT your competition……..You are your competition, by thinking they are your competition.
    Think about that for a while let it sink in slowly.
    I said this to a carpet cleaner once who lives in a small town and complained about the other carpet cleaners who where trying to take his customers.
    I actually told him you have absolutly no control over the other carpet cleaners but you have total control of the way you think.
    Be BETTER than them, give a service others just cant keep with and be fair and reasonable with your pricing. Do a little extra for FREE.
    He now has one of the most highly sort after business in the area he works.

It is all about getting your customers talking about you. Getting them to spread the word.

Now this person you trained and who now wants to go out on her own why not make her a subbie. You supply the work, she supplies the equipment, chemicals, and INSURANCE. Work on a % basis 50 – 50; 60 -40; 40 -60.
    This way she helps you with the workload and you make something out of providing the work. This works very well in the carpet cleaning side of cleaning.
    So there is something to think about
    Remember “you have No competition”

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

see, I knew you’d be good Burgo!!

missymoo
    Up

Thanks everyone , im pretty well set up and have established a good clients base and have even had to knock people back which I think is a good sign for my business theirs definite a lot of work out their tho my business focus on regular clients, and I only have 2 more places then I’m booked out, Ive begun to take on businesses as well I have a car dealership and tractor bizz under my belt , so it seems the words reaching the businesses too, I am a solo cleaner for the main reason being I can keep the high standards, if I was to contract out other cleaners I have a concearn if they do one bad job it will be a cross against my name , with me being me and no one else to the business I have now reached my limit for working , even I Am in demand and all these new cleaners know that, so I guess they are not competition as they are not me, so yeah bring it on least I know I have some admirers out their :) I know their will one day be clients that will come and go some will continue to stay on, all these cleaners are at rates of $20 hr , and if running a bizz will fall into the same trap I was in being too cheap, but quality rules in the end so I’ve been in the position I’ve been able to up my rates tho it was slow to begin with when I upped it , but I have gained new clients on my min regular cleaning rate, and I do provide a different service than others they get what they can I aim for regulars, which I now have, tho I have been taken advantage of with some clients saying yeah well book regularly at my discounted rate then they get their clean and say they don’t need it anymore, so I need to do a lil fine tuning their so I don’t fall in this trap too often. Thanks everyone everything u all say I take on board and it’s a great help :) so thankyou

bernardlau
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

For a business that only started in February, it’s fantastic to hear that you’ve built up a supportive clientele and busy enough to turn away enquiries.

There will always be competition and there will always be opportunists that do something because they see it as popular. But what they don’t have is the passion and most likely they’ll stop and find somethng else to do that’s trending. There are people in my field that charge way way less than what I do. BUT clients will always pay for quality, experience and the personal touch.

Another thing you might think about is education. Do you think people would pay to learn from you in this business?

I think you should stick with what your doing. Things will always need to be cleaned and people will pay for it to be done.

Keep yourself visible to potential clients with the latest form of marketing. But I think for your business, word of mouth would be the main source of getting your service out there?

missymoo
    Up

Thanks , only new marketing I have done is I have magnets and business cards so now people who have heard of me know who. Am , black sign on a white car certainly makes people look :) and the only place I advertise is on a local facebook classified , I don’t plaster the town in pinups ,I have my uniform ordered ( to make in look more professional ) me and the shop are debating weather I add my phone number to my shirt because I’m already just about booked out what’s your thoughts? Then I will get a back window sticker for my car made up, then that will be me for advertising :) I’ve spent too much money as it is now its time to start seeing the profits and giving my self a wage at present I haven’t spent a cent only for the business and when tax is due I’ll know weather i am doing my books the fright way and going my tax all right , really don’t feel like a huge tax bill.
    How does everyone log their fuel costs ? I do a log book but I’m always forgetting to fill it in is their other ways this can be done?
    Thanks

missymoo
    Up

Excuse the typos had a really long day along with not feeling too well damm virus my kids like to bring home and pass it onto me:(

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.