Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Old business remodelled – new site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::

As I’m about to add my new site to my signature … thought I’d post here first. Thought it only fair, considering I often comment on the work of others.

As some may know from old posts, I’ve had a couple of go’s at reinventing myself to provide for my rapidly approaching dotage … while I’ve had some fun doing it, it’s time to get a little more serious.

I could no longer ignore the demand or $ available in the industry I’ve worked in most of my life ( if you’re 60 + changing streams doesn’t come easily).

Rather than take up more space in an already long post, the site itself explains what I do (I hope).

The site is still in Beta … it works (in part), but the backend is still a work in progress (a full portal for managing clients and documents), with some ideas to take it further if stage one works …

Why am I here?

Well, I’m targeting mobiles and tablets, so I’m interested in usability (as far as the current content goes).

Realise it won’t win any design prizes, but function first is my motto … any UI designers are welcome to contact me for this or other projects, but I won’t be spending too much on this one until it’s cash flow positive. Luckily for me my target market have proven themselves to be colour blind.

Copy and legalese, still needs work … will outsource improvements to same a bit further along.

Also I had to take the domain live to get “transactional email” working, so seeing it’s live, a little traffic will let me test how it’s performing on the server, and work out my spiffy new analytics gizmo (New Relic a very cool gadget it seems so far).

Being live also puts a rocket behind me to maintain the momentum, that and the great resources I’ve tapped into via the forum … more on that another time.

Enough chat, here you go http://subby.io

Thanks Greg

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi – it’s great to see what you are doing.
    I am not your target market, but I did try your ‘Get Started’ button and I didn’t like that I had to sign up before I understood more of what you are selling.

I think that there should be more info on the home page about what your product ‘does for me’ before asking me to sign up.

I am sure others will have some thoughts for you.

All the best with your updated/new venture.

Greg_M
    Up

Thanks Karen

ATM the content is targeting people who actually know what I’m talking about … so trying to keep it short and sweet. What’s there probably doesn’t educate anyone outside the industry (who I guess will have no real interest anyway ??).

Some more content is on the go for “below the fold”, but as mobile is where these guy’s operate (and they don’ read much generally), I’m hoping small chunks work better, rather than a long scroll.

The sign up is problematic I agree, and I may change it.

When finished, the idea is to upload doc’s for pricing, easily securing the data and the upload facility is the only real reason for a sign up atm.

If you do sign up, there’s only a test page … and in the edit profile link, if signed up, is a button to immediately delete your account (no details are retained).

I’m getting some outside input on these sort of issues too, so anything could happen in the future, and probably will.

Early days, maybe too early for review, but I don’t want p about till it’s perfect, some thing will turn out to be useless anyway.

Input and a little traffic for testing, helps enormously atm.

Cheers

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi,

Site is nice and clean, scales well for smaller screens. I think the main thing you need is some UX advice, to really get into the head of a potential customer. After all, the first thing your website needs to be is a sales tool, because if it doesn’t entice people, then no one will ever see your actual functionality.

People blaze from page to page on the internet so fast, that they don’t have time to be imaginative. I think you’d be best off showing them what the process looks like.

If you IM on Skype, I’d be happy to give you some pointers, user experience is one of my focuses.

Greg_M
    Up
    martin.firth, post: 190310 wrote:
    Hi,

Site is nice and clean, scales well for smaller screens. I think the main thing you need is some UX advice, to really get into the head of a potential customer. After all, the first thing your website needs to be is a sales tool, because if it doesn’t entice people, then no one will ever see your actual functionality.

People blaze from page to page on the internet so fast, that they don’t have time to be imaginative. I think you’d be best off showing them what the process looks like.

If you IM on Skype, I’d be happy to give you some pointers, user experience is one of my focuses.

Thanks,

I’m out of the office for a couple of days, but I’ll happily take you up on the offer of a chat soon.

As I’m sure you’re aware, what’s there now is really just default Bootstrap (which isn’t a bad starting point for someone like me), but taking it further than some “sensible defaults” is definitely on the agenda going forward.

My focus has been on getting the machinery working, but it’s obvious from comments here I need to refine copy and layout, sooner rather than later.

Rightly or wrongly, I’ve been assuming my clients won’t be coming from online search but from direct marketing, so they’ll already have an idea of what I’m on about before they arrive …

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.