Home – New Forums Tech talk old indexed links

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up
    ::

just relaunched my web design portfolio site

In webmaster tools It shows as having 53 pages indexed…old pages from the old site…they are delete from the server.

I have set up the new site (trying to follow the seo rules) and have submitted a site map. so, do I just need to wait and these old pages will drop off the index?? do I need to track all the pages and ask for them to be removed…

and any other tips for this site appreciated!!

thanks ll

craig

digitalclass
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi Craig,

You can see all of your indexed pages here:.
    https://www.google.com.au/#q=site:craiglongmuir.com%2F

Yes a number of those urls are 404 error pages.

They will drop off, but it can take a while, so it is better to make the request within Webmaster tools to get it done quickly.

To remove urls from the index, in Webmaster tools, go to ‘Google Index’ -> ‘Remove urls’ and click ‘Create new removal request’ with the urls you would like to remove. Google usually removes them pretty quickly.

Good luck with your new site!
    Michael

Stephen Forde
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

If the old pages now have new corresponding pages or did well in search, linked from other sites than generate traffic then you are better off creating 301 redirects.

Cpanel > Redirects > Old link > new link.

Since you’re using WordPress you will need to also edit the .htaccess file. From Cpanel > File Manager > show hidden files > .htaccess > code edit.

From here you can move the redirects above the wp install information.

redirects now work and juice will pass from old pages to new.

Craig_Longmuir
    Up
    Stephen Forde, post: 176545 wrote:
    If the old pages now have new corresponding pages or did well in search, linked from other sites than generate traffic then you are better off creating 301 redirects.

Cpanel > Redirects > Old link > new link.

Since you’re using WordPress you will need to also edit the .htaccess file. From Cpanel > File Manager > show hidden files > .htaccess > code edit.

From here you can move the redirects above the wp install information.

redirects now work and juice will pass from old pages to new.

all old pages are gone, and by the end the old site was not ranking for anything…ive asked for urls to be removed via webmasters tools and will wait and see…hopefully I can get myself back up in the ranking! will be starting to blog too which (especially in my competitors sites) seems to help a lot…time will tell!

Craig_Longmuir
    Up

all those old pages have gone – some I did via request in webmaster tools and others just dropped off on auto…

using yoast seo plugin for WP, so it has indexed some things I don’t think should be there such as author bio and post categories….need to teak the yoast settings so if anyone has a good guide on this would be ueful

organic hits up slightly but not too much to shout about yet! will be getting some blog posts up soon which should help

:)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.